Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 09:05 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Chassis: e450 super duty
Engine: 7.3l ford powerstroke
Cannabus.

Should I change my bus name to Cannabus & paint it army green & black instead.? Im debating.

My ride is starting to look more like more motorhome less bus more home, I lost track of how much money I put into it all ready, I just don't even want to think about it anymore. I just started to leak oil, so I am little frustrated since in order to change the oil pan gasket you have to lift the entire motor, o'well just one more thing on the list.

My interior design. you want it.? since my dad would kill me if I downloaded CAD on his computer you will just need to use your imagination.

The side walls will get finished with insulation inside obviously, than black diamond plate along the side panels just under the windows the full length of the bus for the finish look.

The roof will get liquid rubber coating, insulation than bendable ply wood like what skateboard ramps are made of followed by black diamond plate aluminum sheet (.025 thickness ) to give the finish look of the roof.

The Floor will get liquid rubber coating, followed by a membrane than thin plywood with a dark cherry red finish wood, such as this.

The layout will look something like this.
The counter top will be black diamond plate with red sink. The table may be black diamond plate im still debating on that but to get an idea of what the inside is going to look like, similar to this but black diamond plate. red and Black diamond plate is the color theme for the inside.

my dresser will look like this but red and black like the previous pic. .

As far a a bed goes im still playing with the idea of using a truck cargo net that hangs from the first two pilliars and the last two pillars from the ceiling, & I will be sleeping above my counter, sink table and everything close to the roof but its not a for sure thin, every night I will pull it out of a corner attach the hooks pull tension and throw my small air mattress up and good to go. I hope I explained it well enough to get the idea.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:12 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Sounds gnarly...go for it! And I like the industrial grade hammock idea too.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
Bus Nut

My Dynamat is put it and I must admit I am extremely pleased with it, before I couldn't drive 5 mph down the dirt road to get to work because the rattling and noise was ridiculous, but now im driving 10-15 mph down the dirt road. Night & Day difference.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #4
Bus Nut

My Flowmaster Hushpower Pro series 4" center in 4" center out is here.
now im waiting for my Bellowed up pipes in the mail, should be here in a few days. I have my intake pipe already installed. but thanks to California's strict laws I ordered my 4" exhaust pipes from Diamond eye but a few hours later they refunded me in full saying they cant ship to California so I need someone outside of California to receive my package anyone.??
but soon as I get that In I can rebuild my turbo, and put an upgraded compressor wheel in it as well. Im goingto take my exhaust manifolds off to do a gasket match port & polish on them as well as sand blast and ceramic coat them. everything will be done by me im not paying anyone to do anything. im going to get my full exhaust ceramic coated to reduce the heat. should be awesome ya.?
Old 08-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Sounds gnarly...go for it! And I like the industrial grade hammock idea too.
Thanks interior is giving me a little headache but im sure it does to everyone. I hope the hammock idea works out well.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Good plan. I ceramic coated my SS turbo downpipe inside & out. Actually...I paid someone to coat it. Don't have that kind of gear in my shop. Also added the volcanic heat wrap and a separate shield to help keep the doghouse from melting down. As you no doubt know...turbo exhaust is seriously HOT!
Old 08-21-2016, 10:00 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Good plan. I ceramic coated my SS turbo downpipe inside & out. Actually...I paid someone to coat it. Don't have that kind of gear in my shop. Also added the volcanic heat wrap and a separate shield to help keep the doghouse from melting down. As you no doubt know...turbo exhaust is seriously HOT!
Nice, yea luckily I work for a guy that does porting & polishing, ceramic coating & turbo rebuilding on performance cars, we sponsor the fastest Subaru in colroado as of right now. so I have access to everything I need, sandblast cabinet, turbocharger balance machine, etc.. as long a I bring a case of beer to work.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:43 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
at least you dont have V-band clamps to deal with... im STILL chasing an exhaust leak in mine around the V-band clamp between the turbo and the exhaust downpipe...

I love dynamat.. in my case im using Hushmat but similar stuff.. it works good for heat and sound both.. my bus still rattles like crazy but slowly and surely my hushmatting is making it cooler in the driver cockpit...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:48 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopamine16 View Post
Nice, yea luckily I work for a guy that does porting & polishing, ceramic coating & turbo rebuilding on performance cars, we sponsor the fastest Subaru in colroado as of right now. so I have access to everything I need, sandblast cabinet, turbocharger balance machine, etc.. as long a I bring a case of beer to work.
That's awesome!
Let me know if yall even want some side work doing some moped parts of mine!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:55 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
at least you dont have V-band clamps to deal with... im STILL chasing an exhaust leak in mine around the V-band clamp between the turbo and the exhaust downpipe...

I love dynamat.. in my case im using Hushmat but similar stuff.. it works good for heat and sound both.. my bus still rattles like crazy but slowly and surely my hushmatting is making it cooler in the driver cockpit...

-Christopher
Keep chasein you are bound to find it eventually to bad they dont make a dye you can add to help spot it like they do for oil. Or do they.?
Old 08-22-2016, 08:57 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
That's awesome!
Let me know if yall even want some side work doing some moped parts of mine!

You are always welcome to ship us parts to be done we also do powder coating aswell. Check us out at ( SoCal Porting.com) facebook or instagram.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #12
Bus Geek

I did a Jakeleg job of polishing the surfaces on my turbo & downpipe. Used a large diamond knife sharpener in figure 8 patterns to level out both surfaces before pulling it all down with the V-band. Seems to have worked.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:38 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
I did a Jakeleg job of polishing the surfaces on my turbo & downpipe. Used a large diamond knife sharpener in figure 8 patterns to level out both surfaces before pulling it all down with the V-band. Seems to have worked.
luckily nobody can see the imperfections right.? & as long as it works properly.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:42 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Roger that. The flanges on both had some very minor imperfections (bumps & gouges) that I had been told could cause an exhaust leak so I smoothed them out.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #15
Bus Geek

good idea.. I know where the leak is it is at that V-band.. if I yank that clamp off theres black soot on the inside of it so its definitely there..

it goes away when things warm up and I have my foot to the floor for 30 seconds or so.. i guess things expand and imperfections mate up..

I havent gone as far as to try and sand the parts or such.. I found a flange repair kit so i can cut my downpipe off and then put a new flange on.. it may be that the downpipe was never replaced when the engine and turbo were so the flange wasnt "virgin" to the shape of the turbo?

I had heard of guys trying to use a header collector gasket in there but didnt work because turbo exhaust is so hot...

its minor and an annoyance more than anything... esp since when on the highway its mostly gone as im running the engine hard enough the exhaust stays hot..

-Christopher
Old 08-22-2016, 03:18 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Another issue with a leaking V-Band is that there are a dozen or more different types and many sizes that are "close but no cigar". I spent way too much time reading related articles over on 4BTswaps.com as this is a very common problem.

The angles on the band are also critical and it is very common for someone to have replaced a V-Band with one that "looks right"...but isn't. You really can't tell by looking. Need to get the specs for your turbo then track down the right size & angle.

And then there is the downpipe. If it has ever been replaced, it is also possible that the flange on it is not the same as what is on the turbo.

Like I said...this topic has been a source of grief for many. Best of luck with it Bud.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:55 PM   #17
Bus Geek

I got the V-band from International.. when I talked to Jasper about my turbo, they used the stock International turbo.. I forget now who makes it... my downpipe looks old but not rusty.. but the if its been leaking for awhile then that hot turbo exhaust may very well have hammered the flange already...

and then of course theres all the talk and differences of opinion on how tight to make the clamp.. some say wrench on it as hard as you can.. others say over-tighten and it surely will leak..

im really positive they dont want me to torque down on it as hard as i can... after all im sure that little bolt is no match for those 1" steel pipes i have hanging on my garage wall in 1 foot - 5 foot lengths..... when slipped over a ratchet handle....

the whole concept of v-band seems inherently flawed to me... but then what do I know.. and really why couldnt we just have a donut gasket like on the gassers...

-Christopher
Old 08-22-2016, 11:08 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
good idea.. I know where the leak is it is at that V-band.. if I yank that clamp off theres black soot on the inside of it so its definitely there..

it goes away when things warm up and I have my foot to the floor for 30 seconds or so.. i guess things expand and imperfections mate up..

I havent gone as far as to try and sand the parts or such.. I found a flange repair kit so i can cut my downpipe off and then put a new flange on.. it may be that the downpipe was never replaced when the engine and turbo were so the flange wasnt "virgin" to the shape of the turbo?

I had heard of guys trying to use a header collector gasket in there but didnt work because turbo exhaust is so hot...

its minor and an annoyance more than anything... esp since when on the highway its mostly gone as im running the engine hard enough the exhaust stays hot..

-Christopher
i would try a wire wheel on a grinder to clean everything up, it's a little bit of work but only if it truly bugs you, & you have time. i just bought new up pipes for $80 on ebay just to be on the safe side.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Door took a while and it was a headache, but after being striped down, violated chopped up, than brought back to good health, she is a heavy duty swinger now.
A little before and after.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #20
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopamine16 View Post
Should I change my bus name to Cannabus & paint it army green & black instead.? Im debating.
That actually might fly in SoCal ... ain't no way in NoGa. If you plan on traveling outside the Great Golden State, you might want to just paint it beige and fly under the radar.

BTW, NICE DOOR! What's it off of? Cost?
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote