Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coastal Canada Mini, complete w/ woodstove

Hello all!

Firstly, thanks to everyone who contributes to this site and was able to provide me inspiration to my build. I apologize for not being more active, hope you all get a kick out my project. Compliments/criticism/questions welcomed.

Picked this bad boy up at the end of 2014, no seats, the previous owner had a cabinet and a bench seat but that all got ripped out and I started from scratch. I decided to do a full conversion and live in it or try to live in it. I've been living in it full-time since October and have been loving the vegabond life. I work lots of different environmental contract jobs, mostly jobs with government fisheries so I'm able to live and travel flexibly. I do not have a "spot" for it, when I'm not working I like to go surfing and hiking, when I'm in cities I might have a friend that I'll park at or do some urban camping on residential streets.

I built the interior on my own with basic power tools and little wood working experience, I'm quite happy with the result. What I envisioned and ended up with is a rustic but functional home with a cabin atmosphere. My woodstove is homemade from a propane tank, I purchased this through a classified and am very happy with it considering the $200cdn price tag. It is quite small though so unless you are waking up every few hours to stoke, it will be cold and most heat will be gone by the am. My kitchen consists of a 4 burner propane stove/oven complimented by a small bar sink and a 120L water tank that is underneath the bench seat to keep it from freezing in the winter. I have hot water via my on-demand propane water heater that I obtained from Excel America. They were one of the only companies that make on-demand systems and advertise them for indoor use without the need to vent. I installed mine under the sink and cut a hole in the side of the cupboard to vent the heat it produces when it runs, 6 months later and no issues.

My fridge is 120V and has mostly been getting use as a cooler because I do not have enough power options to run it consistently. As of right now I have a single deep cycle/stater battery and a 1500w inverter which is is plenty considering most of my power use is charging phone/laptop/battery packs but I do plan on installing a solar system and 1 or 2 more batteries. It's going to be a hot summer and having a cool fridge would be very nice!

Anyways, here are some specs and some pictures, enjoy!

The Bus:
1984 Chevy G30 Wayne
350 5.7L Gasoline
Twin size bed
love seat couch
4 burner stove-oven
12v water pump
on-demand hot water
120L fresh tank
outdoor showers option
tiny woodstove
wood storage
seating for 5 excluding bed
sleeps 1-2 or more if the floor and couch is considered
portable compost toilet bucket makes up for the lack of washroom

future upgrades
solar system
more batteries
awning
exterior paint job

ALSO, if you feel so inclined please take a gander at this article my friend Sam wrote about me from all the way in Australia!
http://www.twistedatlas.com/blog/my-life-in-an-old-school-bus

BCmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Nice Rolling Home. Its a good layout and use of space. What type of battery bank did you go with? Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:46 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Great use of space.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:10 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Nice Rolling Home. Its a good layout and use of space. What type of battery bank did you go with? Jack
Thanks. My battery bank... if you can call it that, only consists of a single group 27 100ah deep cycle/starting battery. I realize it's not ideal to not have a separate stater battery but it's what I can while funds allow.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:40 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Well done !!!
Well obviously this website can't count, says I need 10 characters. The above statement looks like 11 to me.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:46 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
what a great little bus!! excellent use of the small space.. you have a lot of stuff packed in there!..

I never knew they made wood stoves that small!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Fine placement of that wood stove! Right next to the feet when sitting up front. Heck, you can almost rest your heels right on top of the stove for a turbo foot defrosting!
Old 06-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
what a great little bus!! excellent use of the small space.. you have a lot of stuff packed in there!..

I never knew they made wood stoves that small!
-Christopher
There sure is quite a lot packed in. Under the bed is packed with camping gear, a gas jerry, 20lbs propane tank (big no-no, I know I know, needs to get a outdoor mount built) and tools and extra parts.

Haha they don't! The person who built this used a 10lbs propane tank. He had even smaller ones than this! He was calling them "Little Tubby Wood Stoves" and was selling them on Kijiji. If anyone is interested they might be able to find him via a Google search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Fine placement of that wood stove! Right next to the feet when sitting up front. Heck, you can almost rest your heels right on top of the stove for a turbo foot defrosting!
Oh it's wonderful in the winter, especially after a cold cold surf!
Old 06-16-2016, 10:42 PM   #9
Almost There

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC
Use of space is fantastic. As I'm working on my build, from time to time I panic about making it all work. Seeing yours helps.
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote