Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
Collins / Corbeil Floor Help

I'm working on tearing down the inside of my new bus (2003 Chevy / Collins 6-window), and am at the floor and ceiling now. There are four securement "rails" on each side where the seats, and I assume other accessories, would attach to the floor. They are attached with hex-drive bolts or screws, that seem quite seized. The bolts are every 6 inches or so, so you can imagine that's a LOT of bolts to undo, especially if seized.

Has anyone dealt with these? Any advice that you can offer? (The good news is that this made seat removal VERY simple and quick - all out in less than an hour.) In the pictures you can see the rail details, and in the larger picture you can see six of the eight rails in the floor. I'm thinking an impact with the appropriate "socket".

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
bus interior.jpg   rail detail.jpg  

Old 01-28-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Start with some PB Blaster on each bolt and wait a day or so before attacking them with an battery impact driver. After there's always grinding, prying,etc. , what ever works best for you.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by farok View Post
I'm working on tearing down the inside of my new bus (2003 Chevy / Collins 6-window), and am at the floor and ceiling now. There are four securement "rails" on each side where the seats, and I assume other accessories, would attach to the floor. They are attached with hex-drive bolts or screws, that seem quite seized. The bolts are every 6 inches or so, so you can imagine that's a LOT of bolts to undo, especially if seized.

Has anyone dealt with these? Any advice that you can offer? (The good news is that this made seat removal VERY simple and quick - all out in less than an hour.) In the pictures you can see the rail details, and in the larger picture you can see six of the eight rails in the floor. I'm thinking an impact with the appropriate "socket".

Thanks in advance!
I have a 2004 Ford E350 Corbeil and have some feelings about those L-Tracks. Ours were so gummed up from years of service that there was no way to get an allen wrench to work. I tried a couple of different things, but ultimately ended up attacking it from underneath with an angle grinder. It was a slow process, but it can be done.

Just as an FYI, I got copies of the wiring diagrams and info about the multiplex system and such from Collins. They're posted somewhere on here - I think the Electrical section.

EDIT: Just realized yours is a Collins, not Corbeil. You can probably reach out to the good folks over at Collins for the specific info for your bus. They were very helpful for me.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Thanks. I'm hoping to not go the angle grinder route, but if it comes to that... good note on the diagrams from Collins as well - I'll have to try that if I can't trace all the wires. Hopefully with the inside skin removed, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #5
Bus Geek

best fix for rusty bolts, after the PB Blaster, is a good whack with a hammer.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:21 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Read an interesting DOD study a while back. They tested and compared all the major "rust dissolvers" along with several home brews.

A "home brew" beat them all for speed and efficacy. And it is cheap.

50% acetone + 50% transmission fluid

Listen to farmers. (I am only guessing it was a farmer but they do seem to have a knack for coming up with $hit that works)

I have tried it, it works great. Just gotta shake it up good before using as it does separate after sitting a while.

A torch is handy too. Heat shocking can bust rust loose.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:48 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by weboughtabus View Post
I have a 2004 Ford E350 Corbeil and have some feelings about those L-Tracks. Ours were so gummed up from years of service that there was no way to get an allen wrench to work. I tried a couple of different things, but ultimately ended up attacking it from underneath with an angle grinder. It was a slow process, but it can be done.

Just as an FYI, I got copies of the wiring diagrams and info about the multiplex system and such from Collins. They're posted somewhere on here - I think the Electrical section.

EDIT: Just realized yours is a Collins, not Corbeil. You can probably reach out to the good folks over at Collins for the specific info for your bus. They were very helpful for me.
For your L Tracks, did you drop the fuel tank and/or remove the battery box and A/C condenser? Seems like if that's the route, I'd rather attack from above somehow. I didn't consider the things in the way. I'm also considering just putting a linoleum floor or the like over the existing mess and skip it. We're not going to be living in the bus. I'll think on that some more.

Thanks for posting the electrical diagrams, as well! I found them, and we'll see if it matches, since I think the two companies merged before my '03 was built. If it doesn't match, I'll give Collins a ring.

Chris
Old 02-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
For your L Tracks, did you drop the fuel tank and/or remove the battery box and A/C condenser? Seems like if that's the route, I'd rather attack from above somehow. I didn't consider the things in the way. I'm also considering just putting a linoleum floor or the like over the existing mess and skip it. We're not going to be living in the bus. I'll think on that some more.

Thanks for posting the electrical diagrams, as well! I found them, and we'll see if it matches, since I think the two companies merged before my '03 was built. If it doesn't match, I'll give Collins a ring.

Chris
We did drop the AC Condenser, but not the batteries or the fuel tank. Personally I'd like to see what's going on under the plywood, make sure there isn't any rust or mold built up, so my plan was always to go down to bare metal.

And I hope the schematics are helpful, but I'd imagine they wouldn't be. Good luck with your build!
Old 02-04-2019, 08:02 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Tonight I started pulling up some of the rubber to see what the plywood really looks like. Based on the rear door and the gas tank inspection hole, it looks like there's 3/8" plywood, MAYBE 1/2". That said, it does NOT look or feel rotten anywhere, and I have no rust at floor level anywhere on the bus. I'm thinking that I may instead leave everything where it is after all. We're not living in the bus full time, and will be traveling in it a few weeks at a time max, and if during the winter it'll be south, not north. The floor rails won't be visible almost anywhere given the floor plan I have, either. While an insulated floor would be nice, I think it's a nice-to-have that I just don't need. That said, I'm planning to remove all the rubber between the inner rails (each goes in about 28" from the walls) and put in linoleum or some similar floor just to cover and make it easier to clean.

Hopefully I'm not making a big mistake here, but I'm thinking this makes sense. Any contrary opinions?
Old 02-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Tonight I started pulling up some of the rubber to see what the plywood really looks like. Based on the rear door and the gas tank inspection hole, it looks like there's 3/8" plywood, MAYBE 1/2". That said, it does NOT look or feel rotten anywhere, and I have no rust at floor level anywhere on the bus. I'm thinking that I may instead leave everything where it is after all. We're not living in the bus full time, and will be traveling in it a few weeks at a time max, and if during the winter it'll be south, not north. The floor rails won't be visible almost anywhere given the floor plan I have, either. While an insulated floor would be nice, I think it's a nice-to-have that I just don't need. That said, I'm planning to remove all the rubber between the inner rails (each goes in about 28" from the walls) and put in linoleum or some similar floor just to cover and make it easier to clean.

Hopefully I'm not making a big mistake here, but I'm thinking this makes sense. Any contrary opinions?
Where did your bus come from? I can almost guarantee no matter how good of shape your plywood is in, there is rust that needs addressing under it. My plywood was in great shape and a bear to get up because none of it was rotten. There was plenty of rust under it. Some right through the floor in spots. Unless you got it from out west somewhere, chance are good there is rust and you would be making a big mistake not addressing it now.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:54 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Thanks... let me contemplate that.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #12
Bus Nut

I figured best to check if there's an aluminum floor before writing it off. Nope - steel floor. I think the next step will be to remove the rubber and existing plywood and see what's there. Depending on how good or bad the rust situation is may determine what (if any) L Tracks I go through the pain of removal for. The ones I'd like to remove are attached between the frame rails, and they're probably the worst to access due to the muffler and fuel tank. I may simply treat, put new ply down, and cover all but the tracks we want to use, saving some effort at least. (and a good bit of sanity)

Chris
Old 02-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
I wish my Chevy were aluminum.
In the 2004 Ford Shorty I owned I installed a heated floor then moved to Florida lol. Never did get it hooked up before selling it.
Now I’m presently standing on the heated floor in my old Motorhome in socks while it was 15 degrees outside. Other than the solar energy system it’s the best modification I’ve done.
I’m planning on doing a heated floor in whichever Chevy I keep.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #14

About to buy that same bus! So lets keep in touch for sure! How much do you love it so far!? How many miles?
Stabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
I’m looking at essentially the same 5 window bus too. 2004 Chevy gasser. I can get it dirt cheap but the keys are lost however and it’s been sitting 1-2 years. Windshield is vandalized badly. But it ran and drove good when parked. I wish I had a tow truck. I hear the 6.0 L engines are good.
Good luck with your project
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabbie View Post
About to buy that same bus! So lets keep in touch for sure! How much do you love it so far!? How many miles?
So far I love it, other than the L tracks in the floor... About 100k miles, runs great! What I like most is how it’s making me really think how to do this without making it a huge project. It’s like a brain puzzle based on how much I want to put into the rebuild, and how much knowledge I have (which in many cases isn’t a whole lot... yet). I got the Chevy frame and gas engine to simplify insurance, and so no issues with any shop working on the engine, though a 7.3 diesel would have been nice. I had a 6.9 in a truck in the past and it could pull anything, just not quickly, and it would have been nice to see what the new turbo 7.3s could do.

-Chris