Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
CornFuzed

First off, I blame ALL of you wonderful people here......

About a year and a half ago, I had a converted ambulance that died on me. I was going to convert an enclosed trailer and pull behind my truck. THEN I found this site after considering a motorized platform. So, for a year aprox, I have been designing, browsing, looking at Shuttle Buses as I thought they looked nicer than a shorty "skoolie".

NOW, I must admit, I am not so sure. (Damn u EastCoastCB with your nice new ride!!!) I can see added benefit in the heavier duty bus. I dont just see an old school bus. I see options, possibilities, and yet more to learn.

So, as I said. I blame you guys FIRST! With that being said, since it is your guys fault, I EXPECT you guys to be the ones to give me all the info and details I will need on the new topic of SHORTIE SKOOLIES that I have none of. While I am still looking at Shuttles, I need to bee "skooled" on REAL buses so I can start looking at those as well.

Vision:

Enough room for

Bedroom
-Queen Bed
-closet storage for clothes

Bathroom
-thetford cassette toilet
-stand up shower

Kitchen
-3 burner gas top
-sink
-microwave
-fridge/ freezer(wynter chest style)

Eating area (if space permits. not a deal breaker)

I have aprox 85% of the parts already. Entire elec system, Kitch appliances, water heater, furnace, tanks etc. Been collecting for a while as I decided on the vehicle. I understand about rust and the items that either unit could have. Its the Shorty SCHOOL BUS mechanical stuff I have no idea about. SO, without rambling too much more, here we go......

What drivetrain combinations would be most desirable on a 5/6 window shorty?
What would you recommend I look for/ stay away from?
Any years better than others?
What are the dangers/ issues associated with the different manufacturers/ Engines/ Tranys?
And feel free to add and info I didnt even know to ask.

I live in Virginia about 45 mins from DC, and 40 mins from Skyline Drive(mountains) I dont do a lot of mountain driving, but wanted to include to help narrow any issues..lots of hills here.

Thanks again everybody......but it ws your faults to begin with
Doug

Defjr333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
First, welcome.

Asking a question like that will usually get you inundated with advice, and occasionally conflicting advice depending on individual experiences. Most of us are just becoming experts on our own vehicles. There are also a lot of mechanics here, as well as some backyard mechanics. You won't be short of advise here, and eventually you'll have a lot more to blame on us. Cumulatively I'd hope.

I have professional diesel experience from 40 years ago, but not on diesels this small, so this is a learning experience for myself as well. You'll find no shortage of advise here from the others that have more specific knowledge about buses. I mean that in a good way. It's a great group of people on here.