Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2021, 01:03 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Creating a slide out deck?

Hi guys.

As much as I so badly want a rooftop deck, I know my fiberglass shell is not strong or safe enough to support it. Would I be crazy in thinking that I could make a deck that slides out and hangs out of my side rear handicap exit? It’s a pretty wide exit, double doors. I’m not sure exactly how to ensure the deck can support the weight of 2 adults. I was thinking of possibly adding 2 hooks inside and attaching chains to the deck when pulled out to help hold it in place. Anyone have any ideas on how I can accomplish this? Maybe attaching something to the bottom when out to hold the weight? I have little experience, so in depth explanations would be amazing. Thanks in advance

Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:47 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
First off howdy neighbor. Welcome to “The Crazies”. I really don’t have any suggestions to create a slide out. I can’t imagine the amount of work it will take to make it happen for such a small amount of space. How about a foldout down deck on the back? One thing for sure, if you have the skills or the money,(sometimes it takes both), you can make it happen !! Once again, welcome aboard !!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
You could build a deck that was slightly smaller than the door opening and hinge it at the bottom of the opening. To use it you'd open the exit door and the deck would fold down and outside (normally it would be upright, covering the door from the inside). You could support it with chains (or wire) anchored at the top of the door frame, or some kind of extending legs to support it against the ground.

I think it would be a lot of work for something that wouldn't be a great deck. It would be very small and you would have to duck your head to go out on your tiny little deck. A deck is basically just a horizontal surface and a skoolie always has some of that all around it.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:11 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I also think that’s a lot of work for little payback. Maybe the same amount of effort and money put into “the patio” would yield a better result. Like awning, lighting, carpet, pink flamingos.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:26 AM   #5
Almost There

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Aerotech
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 6.8/415 Ford
It all depends on your inside layout plan for the bus. It could be done easily where you'd have a slide out of about ∓4'x7'. Post your layout.
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:49 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

first, i just want to thank yall for the input you have given me, im always grateful for it! Heres a rough sketch of my layout. The measurements are not exact, this program was not the easiest to use.

The handicap doors stretch to a little under the width of the Queen bed. So maybe 52 inches roughly? Id have the bed raised for storage underneath and there should be like 4 inches of space in between the bed and the doors once walls are installed, but thats not including the bed frame. Id much prefer a deck that slides out, but one that swings down might be the best option if im storing my 75 gallon water tank under the bed. This is a shuttle bus and im about 5'8 so head room is plenty.

Im surprised to find that you guys think this is an expensive and time consuming project, it seemed much simpler in my head haha. Things never are though.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:50 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Old 01-18-2021, 01:43 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
I was thinking of doing the same, but more because the handicap door opening is where the entry is to my shuttle that is now a trailer, so the bus entrance was removed and will be the bathroom. As I don't have interior steps (why waste your precious floor space with steps?) the full stairs will be outside the box, so my thought was a fold down platform that also folds down the steps. This is not a big area, but maybe useful to put a bbq on it to cook outside and not get odors inside the bus without having to go up/down stairs to get from kitchen to bbq.

I am also planning a rear fold down deck which is much bigger and the stove top is accessible from the rear deck so cooking is outside-ish.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:39 PM   #9
Almost There

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Aerotech
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 6.8/415 Ford
80"x80" slide out deck

Your layout is similar to ours. I'm working on a design that will allow for an 80"x80" slide out deck. Not a fold down.

I'll be posting the idea on our build later this week or next.
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:09 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat 3126
I am planning to use the floor from the handicap lift and the deck plate, taking out all the hydrolics and such. Then I will use pulleys probably, and have this be a fold down deck out the handicap door. Just big enough for a lawn chair. Mine is in the front, though, just behind the entrance door. I don't think I would like one I had to crawl over the bed to get to. Just my .02
dustyroadspony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:15 PM   #11

Hi All, I have had this same Idea though based on a Shuttle bus with a back Luggage door. But based on what I have on top of my Work Van's ladder rack. Just using simple 2.5" angle iron Weld a box 60" or 80" wide your chioce and as Tall as you can or want to go from just under your handicap opening, use the same 2.5" angle iron to put 3 to 5 cross members in and then top it with a medium gauge wire mesh that's small enough to set chairs/table/barbeque etc. Attach to side of your bus with just heavy duty door hinges. Weld or bolt the hinge's to your side of the bus either directly or on a rail that is boltes to the side. Then just figure and easy 2 leg system that is folded under the deck that you pop out when dropping it down or attach every time you drop it. Shouldn't be to heavy to drop and lift back up, but if so a simple pully or double triple pully system you can figure out. It would only stick out 3 maybe 4" from your side which should be fine as long as your not threading needle with you Bus. If you want to do it yourself and can't weld, there are heavy duty 90 degree small 2-3" angle parts that Construction uses in Uni-strut construction that you could bolt the whole thing together. That's my 2 cents.
Plyshocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:47 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
This sounds like a good way to stay above the snakes. I like it. If you use feet / legs they will have to be adjustable to compensate for uneven ground. If you use cables or chains it won't matter.
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:19 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
We did something...sort of...like this for a customer's rig. We used a wheelchair lift which had a deck of about 36" wide by 50" deep, if I remember correctly. On the deck, we added hinged wings which folded into the center, one over the other. When deployed and folded out, that made for a deck which was almost 90"x50" and had a weight rating of 800 pounds...from which we subtracted 100 pounds (overly conservative) for the additional decking wings. In retrospect, we could have made it wider...with 34" wings...but this was the first time, so we went a bit smaller. It was pretty rigid. I've got two more lifts sitting in the work yard right now, for future projects.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:57 AM   #14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
First off howdy neighbor. Welcome to “The Crazies”. I really don’t have any suggestions to create a slide out. I can’t imagine the amount of work it will take to make it happen for such a small amount of space. How about a foldout down deck on the back? One thing for sure, if you have the skills or the money,(sometimes it takes both), you can make it happen !! Once again, welcome aboard !!
Thats what I am planning on doing: a foldup deck built out on a used open mesh deck utility trailer that tows behind.. I use a scooter to get places which needs to go somewhere when traveling so I designed around that need. I plan on using a 6'x8' size trailer and building a fold out box on top of the side rails. Under the box will be travel storage for my fire pit, awning, poles for the awning, outdoor carpets, folding chairs and tables...fortunate a friend of my is a fabricator and welder so customizing will be way cheaper than it might otherwise be.

fun convo, lots of interesting ideas. thanks for sharing ya'll
AlchemyCoeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:06 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Buses are designed to hold their weight if they roll. Look at attaching the supports for your deck at the top of the wall instead of putting the deck directly on the roof. I do not have a deck on mine. I have seen many decks that are attached at the top of the wall. Look on YouTube and ask questions from the builders.
Lkn4it is offline   Reply With Quote