Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2016, 03:03 PM   #1

Question Dimensions?

My husband and I are beginning the process of trying to decide on a bus, but without dimensions to work with, it's really hard to try to plan an interior layout and try to budget. We live in western Maine, so any buses we would want to look at are quite a drive away, and it seems crazy to drive 3.5 hours one way just to put a tape measure to good use. Does anyone have any sites they would recommend that would give interior bus dimensions? We are looking at a 2003 Chevy 5-window short bus in particular, and we are interested in all interior dimensions. (And BTW, would anyone have any mpg info on a bus like this?) Thanks!

betsyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
To be honest, I'd call the manufacturer. They would have everything in the blueprint in front of them. I call Thomas customer support and get chassis specific questions answered frequently. You may nee the VIN though.
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
assuming that body company is still business.. if the bus is an individual or a dealer they should be able to measure it for you...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Or trot down to the local school district with a six pack of soda, and ask for a few minutes of bus time with notepad and tape measure.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:19 PM   #5

I have a 2001 GMC 4 window. From the stand up line to the back on the bus is 10 feet.
its 93 inches wide (dually). hope that helps
harleyhollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by betsyme View Post
My husband and I are beginning the process of trying to decide on a bus, but without dimensions to work with, it's really hard to try to plan an interior layout and try to budget. We live in western Maine, so any buses we would want to look at are quite a drive away, and it seems crazy to drive 3.5 hours one way just to put a tape measure to good use. Does anyone have any sites they would recommend that would give interior bus dimensions? We are looking at a 2003 Chevy 5-window short bus in particular, and we are interested in all interior dimensions. (And BTW, would anyone have any mpg info on a bus like this?) Thanks!
Buses are generally 7' 6" wide on the inside, and 8' wide on the outside. I don't know the specific bus you mentioned but I have a five window that has about 16' behind the drivers seat. Headroom varies depending on what was ordered. If you're short you don't have to worry.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:24 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3 Turbo
I haven't found many people not willing to measure for me if I ask. I have a set of preliminary questions I always ask before considering driving anywhere:

1. What are the interior dimensions behind the driver seat including floor to ceiling height?

2. Are any repairs needed to your knowledge?

3. Can you supply pictures of the undercarriage including the worst areas of rust?

4. Has any major work been done? Do you have service records?

5. Do you have a clear title?

6. When was the last time it was inspected?

And if it's a private seller, I ask about why they bought and why they sold. I've found that asking these in advance REALLY helps weed out buses that aren't worth looking at. There are a lot of less than honest people out there who try to avoid mentioning negatives until you're already looking in person in hopes you will be committed already.
PigPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:50 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 16
I can help a little with interior height measurements. Collins bodies are usually 76 1/2" at centerline. Bluebird are 76". Thomas are about 72" - I know I can't stand up in any of the Thomas 4 or 5 window DRW buses. My Collins SRW was about 79" across inside. A dually will be roughly 91" across in a Collins; probably about the same in others. Most of the bus manufactures have specs on their websites - you just have to hope they
haven't changed much in 10 or more years.
Hope that helps.
gr
pharmboi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 chevy, 5-window, dimension, specs