Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 11:35 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Speaking of Chop Saw Blades...

I've never been a DeWalt fan...but...

They make a 14" diamond metal cutting chop saw blade that is pricey, but remarkable. $200 bucks...but...they guarantee one will outlast 100 conventional abrasive blades. I can testify to their longevity. I cut a LOT of steel for both my sculpture and my bus. Everything from 3/8" rebar to 1/2" plate to 6" C-channel to 8" schedule 40 pipe. The one I am still using has lasted for three years now. And it has the added benefit of NOT producing all that grit, tracking off square or getting smaller in diameter with every cut. And at $12 bucks a pop for conventional blades, I am way ahead and still using it almost daily. Hats off guys. I am a convert.

Well...at least for this one product.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:50 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
They make a 14" diamond metal cutting chop saw blade that is pricey, but remarkable. $200 bucks...but...they guarantee one will outlast 100 conventional abrasive blades. I can testify to their longevity. I cut a LOT of steel for both my sculpture and my bus. Everything from 3/8" rebar to 1/2" plate to 6" C-channel to 8" schedule 40 pipe. The one I am still using has lasted for three years now.
I will have to check that out. When I get into metal work with the chop saw I often end up going through a disc a day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
And it has the added benefit of NOT producing all that grit, tracking off square or getting smaller in diameter with every cut.
Wow.. that list accounts for all the things that piss me off about the chop saw.
Chopping in the garage? Expect one hell of a clean-up afterwards with a normal abrasive disc.
Oops! Cut went off square. Flip it over to square it out. grrrr
And then eventually not making it through the cut because the disc is too small.. grr grrr grrrr
Old 07-30-2016, 06:22 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

I'm living near ElkhartIN, "RV Capital" so every RV Surplus and Habitat's Build-it-again centers, all have Butyl Rubber for Cheap! This is where I'll be able to outfit my just acquired shorty 6 window bus. I thinkin I could use a circular saw with cutoff blade for some tasks like cutting the outer skin off, since I'm making a flatbed hauler from mine. I lucked out getting a 7.3 which should pull this ~ 17,000lbs+-when fully loaded with 2 small RVs
BogistJoeSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:23 PM   #24
Skoolie

My first one? I got it used back in the early 70's and still have it. I think it came from Milwaukee's heavy duty “Manly Armstrong” tool line, with an emphasis on “heavy”. I think this one was originally steam powered but the previous owner converted it to electric. It's rebuildable so I'll probably hand it down to one of my Sons

When I bought the Mikita about 20 or so years ago they weren't very highly regarded … but this one has been doing the same old grind all these years.

Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
This is why I don't stand in line with (or anyone else) angle grinders... Or remove guards

Good quality Radnor wheel! Cutting C Purlin, got pinched! I thought the Purlin was going to break the other way... Thankfully I was wearing my brown pants