Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-10-2017, 10:29 PM   #501
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
If you're going to take a trip across the country sometime you're almost sure to find another door during the trip.

Is this the same mower you got?

640 ◊ 480 - govliquidation.com


I can't tell if this one is diesel or not.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:57 PM   #502
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 22,468
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
No I'm not a big fan of Toro. We use some brand new commercial Toros, but I don't buy them.
The mower I just got is a Sarlo.


__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:58 PM   #503
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 22,468
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
If you're going to take a trip across the country sometime you're almost sure to find another door during the trip.

Is this the same mower you got?

640 ◊ 480 - govliquidation.com


I can't tell if this one is diesel or not.
I had one of those. A 36".
The belt drive tore up yards real bad. Parts were imossible to find, too.
The engine is worth more than the mower, according to the guy I sold it to from CL.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:17 PM   #504
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I was interested in one of those small diesel engines, like in your new to you mower, as a power source for a small diesel generator. Wasn't sure of the brand. Thanks.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:33 PM   #505
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 22,468
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I was interested in one of those small diesel engines, like in your new to you mower, as a power source for a small diesel generator. Wasn't sure of the brand. Thanks.
They sell generators with these engines.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:45 PM   #506
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That would be one of my top pics anyway. Maybe I won't re-invent the wheel this time?
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:02 AM   #507
Bus Nut
 
tobeamiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 743
Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I cut the rust hole out of the back, and the entire inside behind it
I have the same stuff going on here. Everyone (my family) says that I should probably remove the inside wall as well and get at it from that angle too. I really didn't want to do that but it looks like I might have to!!
Oh wait...Is that the rust on your door?
Mine is under the license plate and on the other side under the tail lights.


Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
__________________
oh yes she did!
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/to...-it-16557.html
tobeamiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:15 AM   #508
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 13,451
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
When BGA painted the dev bus, they took out the window , and worked some of the rust from the light holes , mine was more around the window frame.

I'm wondering if you suck out as much loose as you can, then ospho the heck out of everything in there,,and cover the outside corners with like diamond plate or such. Resealing the lights and window should stop new water from getting in.
Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #509
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 22,468
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
When BGA painted the dev bus, they took out the window , and worked some of the rust from the light holes , mine was more around the window frame.

I'm wondering if you suck out as much loose as you can, then ospho the heck out of everything in there,,and cover the outside corners with like diamond plate or such. Resealing the lights and window should stop new water from getting in.
Christopher
That's more or less our plan.
We got some of the GOOD Rust Reformer coming, will use it liberally.
Probably gonna remove the interior panel behind the damage and asses it from there.
The hinges are REALLY rusty and the metal they screw into is deteriorating.
May have to REALLY rebuild the ass end on that side!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:19 AM   #510
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,711
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Thanks I'll try them monday. I REALLY NEED THAT WC DOOR SEAL!
Thomas, International, and Blue Bird were at the scrap yard that I wandered Sat. They had a few with WC doors. No Am Tran buses. Is your door the same as any of those? Is it replaceable with any of those? The ones I opened and looked at all had flat gaskets. Stupid easy to replace so those couldn't be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I cut the rust hole out of the back, and the entire inside behind it was completely crumbling with rust.
Ouch that's some nasty stuff there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Everything in that rear wall under the window that wasn't galvanized rusted completely away. GONE!
The rest of the bus is virtually rust free. only the WC door and service door have any real rust otherwise.
Without seeing it first hand, you're going to need to do some SERIOUS rebuild or bite the bullet for a new door especially without a metal brake, hammers, ... hell a metal fab shop.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:26 AM   #511
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 22,468
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Thomas, International, and Blue Bird were at the scrap yard that I wandered Sat. They had a few with WC doors. No Am Tran buses. Is your door the same as any of those? Is it replaceable with any of those? The ones I opened and looked at all had flat gaskets. Stupid easy to replace so those couldn't be the same.


Ouch that's some nasty stuff there.



Without seeing it first hand, you're going to need to do some SERIOUS rebuild or bite the bullet for a new door especially without a metal brake, hammers, ... hell a metal fab shop.
I think the door can be repaired. I can get a new, fabricated lower edge of the door from a bus body parts supplier for $115.
All I'm REALLY NEEDING really bad is the seal around the door. That sucker's elusive!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:04 AM   #512
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Prince George, BC, Canada
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I think the door can be repaired. I can get a new, fabricated lower edge of the door from a bus body parts supplier for $115.
All I'm REALLY NEEDING really bad is the seal around the door. That sucker's elusive!
Have you tried these guys?

http://www.busparts.com/doors.html

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:25 AM   #513
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,711
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I think the door can be repaired. I can get a new, fabricated lower edge of the door from a bus body parts supplier for $115.
All I'm REALLY NEEDING really bad is the seal around the door. That sucker's elusive!
Does this mean you are cutting the door in half and welding the bottom back on? And have it straight... <-- me and straight is what I'd worry about.

At that point, wouldn't it be easier to build a door from scratch and/or modify the hinges of another?
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #514
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 22,468
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootalltechie View Post
Have you tried these guys?

School Bus Door Parts

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
YES. They've been suggested several times in this thread.
I've called them and they actually don't have anything for my bus at all.
They don't even have any amtran parts, just a few. IDK why they say they have amtran parts when they really don't.
Super friendly folks, but they have nothing.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #515
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 22,468
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Does this mean you are cutting the door in half and welding the bottom back on? And have it straight... <-- me and straight is what I'd worry about.

At that point, wouldn't it be easier to build a door from scratch and/or modify the hinges of another?
Its a repair panel. Pretty easy to fix, man. Body shops do this stuff all the time.
Its a pretty common rust area according to the folks I talked to.International - Amtram | Custom Bus and Truck Panels

they have this-
Quote:
Part # INAT112
INAT112 Handicap door repair cap for bottom of door. 44" L X 7" T
you cut away the rusty flanged bottom and weld the new pieces in. Smooth the joints and it would look good as new.
They're also going to be selling the whole door soon. But I'd imagine that sucker is expensive.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #516
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,711
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Its a repair panel. Pretty easy to fix, man. Body shops do this stuff all the time.
Its a pretty common rust area according to the folks I talked to.International - Amtram | Custom Bus and Truck Panels
Link is just a frame (no graphics). Replacing skin doesn't worry me. Replacing framing does. Keeping it square and true. Especially something like a door that's hinged and loaded weird. Granted you're replacing the bottom, not the hinged side but still.

Guess I need more practice. I'd love to find a scrap yard full of stuff like that (doors, windows, whatever) and just go to town practicing. I think I am going to go back to the scrap yard with the buses. They had some angle iron and square tubing. I think the tubing was 1 1/2" stuff. They had some 2" thick walled stuff too. I should get a bunch for building more basement storage and/or racks for water tanks. The guy quoted me 25 cent a lb. I know the scrap price for selling is only 4 cents a lb but I've no idea if that's a good price for buying or not.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:51 AM   #517
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Out here they charge 50 cents a pound for usable scrap. The scrap yards have developed a whole side industry out of setting up a usable scrap steel yard to select items from.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #518
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,711
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Out here they charge 50 cents a pound for usable scrap. The scrap yards have developed a whole side industry out of setting up a usable scrap steel yard to select items from.
They can suck some nuts!!! 4 cents to 25 cents is a 650% profit. How many companies can claim that?
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #519
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon/Philippines
Posts: 1,660
another thing that works for decal removal is ones 4000 lb hot water pressure washer, and is the same thing for removing decals, grease on heavy equipment prior to resale
t
__________________
Jesus Christ... Conversion in progress.
chev49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #520
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,711
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49 View Post
another thing that works for decal removal is ones 4000 lb hot water pressure washer, and is the same thing for removing decals, grease on heavy equipment prior to resale
t
4000 and hot?!? That'll remove flesh from bone while cooking it. Honey have you seen the cat lately?
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×