Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
EastCoastCB's Shorty Thread

Since getting the shorty home from Aurora CO, and cleaning it up a bit, I've been enjoying the HELL out of it. Got MOST of the stickers and decals off. I started another thread on it, but since this is the shorty section, I figured I'd do any posting about it here from now on.
The plan is to enjoy it as-is for the most part. I may add a few things. It came well equipped and due to the weight and pass rating, I can use it the way it is and need no cdl, even with the seats.

Immediate plans are to paint it white, possible light blue with a white roof. Dave took my advice about flat white for his roof and we were super impressed with the results. A powered roof vent with rain cover are also in the plans.

If any more buses like this one pop up at the auctions, I'll consider buying a couple more to resell. The size is really ideal for a LOT of purposes. I stuck this one on CL for the fun of it. If someone wants to pay me top dollar for it, I'd part with it. Otherwise I'm having a blast driving it and it fits in my driveway! that's a big deal!

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
Skoolie

Super nice Bus, that was my dreamed bus to get, same size.

How was the paperwork to bring it to bc and insure it ?

Thanks.
pepepito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Looks good man. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I love this bus, Ive ridden it, havent gotten to drive it yet.. and this size bus is perfect for a RunAbout.... im also lookign for another one if the deal comes up right.. I just have to make sure EC and I dont bid against each other.. LOL..

are you going to Shoot it with paint or roll it? if you are going to roll it, im real interested.. if I get another one i might try to paint it myself if I can roll it..

now if we can just set these shorties up so they run cool at full speed..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepepito View Post
Super nice Bus, that was my dreamed bus to get, same size.

How was the paperwork to bring it to bc and insure it ?

Thanks.
BC?
Im in FL. I just got an ins policy and my friend flew out with his wife and drive it home from CO.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I love this bus, Ive ridden it, havent gotten to drive it yet.. and this size bus is perfect for a RunAbout.... im also lookign for another one if the deal comes up right.. I just have to make sure EC and I dont bid against each other.. LOL..

are you going to Shoot it with paint or roll it? if you are going to roll it, im real interested.. if I get another one i might try to paint it myself if I can roll it..

now if we can just set these shorties up so they run cool at full speed..

-Christopher
Since it isn't huge, I may spray it. But a roller job can look REAL good, too.
I'm probably gona do the usual- rustoleum with a hardener. Will likely go with a satin clear coat to help keep the paint from fading as fast from the UV rays.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'm probably gona do the usual- rustoleum with a hardener. Will likely go with a satin clear coat to help keep the paint from fading as fast from the UV rays.
If I get another one, I need to find a place where I could spray...

hey to the Post about bringing your bus to BC, we just solved your engine heating issues.. take it to BC, guaranteed not to over-temp
-Christopher
Old 03-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
If I get another one, I need to find a place where I could spray...

hey to the Post about bringing your bus to BC, we just solved your engine heating issues.. take it to BC, guaranteed not to over-temp
-Christopher
From what I've garnered from internet forums, I'm not really having any actual "issues". Its just normal stuff, par for the course. Till you and me come up with something better. By "you and me" I'm mostly meaning you, of course. lol
A full 3900 or 4700 style rad and aftermarket intercooler or used one from something that would be compatible, and these things would be "bulletproofed".
I'm also going to consider installing an extra oil cooler for the 545 at high speeds and in the hills.
I'm planning to replace my coolant in about 5000 miles or so, so I'm gonna try Water Wetter's HD diesel additive. From what I've read about it on the web, it can't hurt it at all. If it helps, thats an easy upgrade!
I know it helped my kawasaki monster bike run cooler.
What sorta place you need for painting?
Any of my facilities or space are available for you any time, man!
Old 03-08-2017, 12:42 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
I like it ECCB. Have fun !!!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #10
Bus Geek

I was a religious user of watter-wetter in my Hotrod cars.. and it did work... very well actually... but then I also had the niceity of 5 core aluminum radiators..

yes the 444E runs hot by nature... ive seen some 4700's with the 1/2 rads also...

the rad I sent you a link of would fit the frame of our busses..

I do know thus far ive kept mine below 210 by turning my fan clutch temp down.. I also havent taken the radiator out to have it steamed.. my radiator was replaced in 04.. (the one time my comoputer reported an over-temp)... so 12 years in Texas heat i should probably pull it and see what it looks like inside..

that should probably be the first steps before going radical is to make sure the existing pieces are doing their jobs...

the 444E is considered in Over-temp at 230..I didnt notice which gauge you have... there were 2 manufactured.. I believe we both have the 140-280 scale gauges.. the 94-97's I think were the ones that got the same gauge as the DT-466 which tops at 230..

the Alarms in the computers on the 444E are programmed to ring and scream at 230..

im just in the 'DT' mindset of running much cooler... my DT-360 has the 1/2 rad and running flat out i never see the thing go above 190...

-Christopher
Old 03-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #11
Bus Geek

I'm going to try all you said, Chris. And i'll definitely take you up on that offer of helping adjust my fan clutch.
But the temp runs PErFECT except once its revved over 2300 for any duration. Could be tranny heat?
Will see what the water wetter does, for science. Summer is coming and any cooling help will be a real good thing.

edit- my temp gauge goes from 100- 230.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'm going to try all you said, Chris. And i'll definitely take you up on that offer of helping adjust my fan clutch.
But the temp runs PErFECT except once its revved over 2300 for any duration. Could be tranny heat?
Will see what the water wetter does, for science. Summer is coming and any cooling help will be a real good thing.

edit- my temp gauge goes from 100- 230.

FYI my bus does the same thing... 2300 or above and my temp goes up.. then my fan goes crazy off and on to hold it below 210..

at least in 85 degree weather thats what it did.. when i first got it, it would run up to close to the 230 mark if I didnt slow it down...

your fan clutch looks new so im thiniing its good..

you have the gauge I wish I did.. but then I read my temp from the computer because i found my gauge on the dash is a bit inconsistemt and somewhat inaccurate.

tranny heat is what im wondering too.. though ive not seen my trans temp gauge go over 160 yet.. and that matches the temp gunb readings I get.

-Christopher
Old 03-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
I believe that the "roll and stiple" technique used on boats will work just as good as spraying. A bus surface is not as smooth as a car, basically roll and stiple is one person rolls on the paint and the person behind smooths it out with a brush. If you use foam brushes then get the high quality ones. This also has the advantage of using less paint and less air pollution. I always recommend that people talk to a mfg paint rep for free and often they will come and take a look at your bus. Oil based paint lost its advantage about forty yrs ago, yet many people will use it out of tradition or familiarity, where as latex paint is more durable, can be painted over oil, but not the other way around. Often you can even get paint free from the mfg rep if they are doing a large industrial project they will have hundreds of gallons left over from the job.
Bluespoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluespoet View Post
I believe that the "roll and stiple" technique used on boats will work just as good as spraying. A bus surface is not as smooth as a car, basically roll and stiple is one person rolls on the paint and the person behind smooths it out with a brush. If you use foam brushes then get the high quality ones. This also has the advantage of using less paint and less air pollution. I always recommend that people talk to a mfg paint rep for free and often they will come and take a look at your bus. Oil based paint lost its advantage about forty yrs ago, yet many people will use it out of tradition or familiarity, where as latex paint is more durable, can be painted over oil, but not the other way around. Often you can even get paint free from the mfg rep if they are doing a large industrial project they will have hundreds of gallons left over from the job.
I can get rustoleum for $24 a gallon. I'm not a fan of latex. Water based paints are the worst. Oil based is more durable.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
I can get rustoleum for $24 a gallon. I'm not a fan of latex. Water based paints are the worst. Oil based is more durable.
I am sorry EastCoastCB, not trying to put you down, but what you said is just ignorant. The company I worked for sprayed about a millions gallons of paint a year and I was the painter for my dept. Certainly rustoleum will do an ok job esp since it is on a bus, but it is inferior to latex and that is simply fact and any paint chemist will tell you so, but personally I like free paint better,
Anyone can say any ignorant thing on facebook, I recommend that you talk to a mfg rep which has no cost and often will inspect your rig for free to boot. Personally I am happy for you to use any paint system you like, if you like oil which you obviously do, then oil it is, but to say it is superior is just ignorant.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:31 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Its my opinion. I'm free to it. I'm not painting wood. I'm painting buses, and for cheap with good old oil based.
Screw that water based crap.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:38 PM   #17
Bus Geek

If I were going to go with anything other than oil based enamels from hardware stores, I'd go get some cheap single stage automotive stuff. Which I may actually do on the shorty, since I could probably get it into some sort of paint booth like setting.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:42 PM   #18
Skoolie

Quote:
Its my opinion. I'm free to it. I'm not painting wood. I'm painting buses, and for cheap with good old oil based.
Screw that water based crap.
It is your opinion I am NOT trying to stop you from using oil based paint, but it is an ignorant opinion and ANY PAINT CHEMIST OR PAINT MFG REP WILL TELL YOU SO.

We NEVER used oil based paint in the shipyard, our customers never asked for it and we were the largest private shipyard on the west coast. I didn't get my information from a guess. Everyone will paint with what they want and that is fine with me, but to propagate fake news may make you presidential, but not truthful.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:52 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
It is your opinion I am NOT trying to stop you from using oil based paint, but it is an ignorant opinion and ANY PAINT CHEMIST OR PAINT MFG REP WILL TELL YOU SO.

We NEVER used oil based paint in the shipyard, our customers never asked for it and we were the largest private shipyard on the west coast. I didn't get my information from a guess. Everyone will paint with what they want and that is fine with me, but to propagate fake news may make you presidential, but not truthful.
Just go on somewhere else with all that negative bs. Thanks. BTW- nice "fake news" catch-word useage.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:

the best paint around was oil based paint with lead. they have been trying to make water based paint as good as oil based for 40 years. yes there are some great water based paints out there and i use them every day. no paint lays flatter on interior trim than oil base, nothing looks better or last longer. oil based paint with a hardner is a good choice for this application, there are others.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote