Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Emergency exit window-anyone make screens

I have a Transstar shuttle bus with the emergency windows that are hinged from the top. Anyone ever make a screen so I can open them on hot days and keep the bugs out.. I searched but didn't come up with anything.

leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IHC
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 48
Re: Emergency exit window-anyone make screens

If you're handy you can find old window screens and pull them apart and cut them down to size. There is a tool for inserting the plastic/rubber into the groove that holds the screening, sorta looks like a pizza cutting wheel, a wheel on both ends of the handle. Window screen material and tools can be found at lumberyard or hardware stores.The aluminum frame will have an L shaped plastic or aluminum insert that holds the corners together. Once the old screen is removed the corners will pull apart without much effort. Measure and cut on a miter saw w/carbide blade for cleanest cut. Put the corners together then lay the screening over the frame. Gently push the plastic/rubber strip back into the groove. Cut excess off with utility knife. If you need to you can rivet a smaller frame into the bigger using hinges to access the window handle. Voila.

Richard
alwaysFlOoReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

yes. http://s570.photobucket.com/user/lor...?sort=6&page=1 and http://www.freewebs.com/aluminumasylum/bluebirdfe.htm
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IHC
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 48

For some reason I can't see photobucket or imageshack through FF. But I like the write up in the second link.

Richard
alwaysFlOoReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Installing permanent screening in the little vent windows inside the full sized window is fairly easy but to put a full sized screen on the entire exit window gets harder because you have to remove the inside screen in order to unlatch and open the window (assuming your windows are like mine).

The easiest way I can think of is to remove the inner clamp ring (make sure the window doesn't fall out) then use silicone sealer around the window opening to glue screening to the bus body then remount the clamp ring. Problem with that is you can't unlatch the window to open it with the screen in the way. A solution to that might be to make some access flaps out of screen and velcro or magnets so you can open the screen near the latches and get your hands through to open/close the window.

You could also sew loop velcro around the outside of the screen then use hook velcro strip to mount it onto the window frame. That would make a screen that's easy to mount, open and roll up and store. It's got to be something easy to do or you just won't open the bloody window.

Magnets would be a natural solution if only the window frames weren't made of aluminum.

There are lots of people here that are good a thinking outside the box. Someone will come up with an elegant solution.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Yes, what a pain...Been thinking that I should leave the emergency windows alone and just go with screens over the driver and passenger windows (skeeterbeater makes them).(
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711
Installing permanent screening in the little vent windows inside the full sized window is fairly easy but to put a full sized screen on the entire exit window gets harder because you have to remove the inside screen in order to unlatch and open the window (assuming your windows are like mine).

The easiest way I can think of is to remove the inner clamp ring (make sure the window doesn't fall out) then use silicone sealer around the window opening to glue screening to the bus body then remount the clamp ring. Problem with that is you can't unlatch the window to open it with the screen in the way. A solution to that might be to make some access flaps out of screen and velcro or magnets so you can open the screen near the latches and get your hands through to open/close the window.

You could also sew loop velcro around the outside of the screen then use hook velcro strip to mount it onto the window frame. That would make a screen that's easy to mount, open and roll up and store. It's got to be something easy to do or you just won't open the bloody window.

Magnets would be a natural solution if only the window frames weren't made of aluminum.

There are lots of people here that are good a thinking outside the box. Someone will come up with an elegant solution.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:12 AM   #7
Bus Nut

lorna and always...This is a shuttle bus, the windows on a skoolie are totally different. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
Bus Geek

The windows on our Eagle were hinged from the top. Same setup could have/would have been used on our Eagle, just hinged from the top rather than the middle. The two emergency exit windows on the skoolie are hinged from the top unlike any of the rest of our windows (we have both emergency exit windows on opposite sides of the bedroom).
Old 04-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

More brainstorming.

Make a rigid screen frame to fit over the window and hinge it to the bus wall so it opens like a door. Add some soft weatherstripping to seal it and stop it from rattling while driving. Rig a latch or two to hold it closed. (My favorite so far). This looks like a variation on Lorna's idea.

Find an old camping tent and remove the zippered front mosquito netting flaps. Attach the flaps to the bus wall around window and open the zipper to get at the latches.

Find an old crank open window and steal the crank mechanism. Rig it so you can open the window using the crank without opening the screen.

Forget the screens altogether and find a small radar guided laser beam to zap the bugs as they come through the window. Remember not to get between the laser and the window. (remember - nothing's impossible for the person who doesn't have to do it).
Old 04-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Get "magnetic paint" and use rare earth magnets to hold the screening in place.

Encase the whole bus in a huge plastic bubble to keep pests (and others) out.

Forget about any screening. Invest in LOTS of venus flytraps and similar to catch any bugs (Feed me Seymour! )

Or simply don't open those particular windows. We don't have to open our emergency windows because each emergency has a regular window right next to it. But when we have 20 to 70 mph winds, we do not leave our windows open either (dust storms... like brown coloured, ultra fine baby powder).
Old 04-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Hey, Hey everybody duck... The sky is falling.. LOL
Seriously, The body is fiberglass and the window frames are aluminium so the magnets won't work. Although the zippered tent net may work with the crank out mechanism...
Sort of leaning towards the skeeterbeater style nets on the driver and passenger sides and my old fan. Thanks guys!...
Old 04-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01
Sort of leaning towards the skeeterbeater style nets on the driver and passenger sides and my old fan. Thanks guys!...
We have a winner! Those Skeeter Beaters would work great if you could get the right size for your window. Just attach some steel strips around the window and stick them on. But I still like the laser idea.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

What about taking some of the magnetic strips they make for making little markers for moving names or assignments around on a metal white board, and glue the strips around the frames. Then you could put up or take down magnetic screens as you wish.

Also, when the screens are down, you could use the window frames to store extra safety pins or paper clips . . . . .
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:03 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

I’m trying out screen lines with Velcro, easy to detach and open emergency window then attach screen again. Voilà!
Gatheringminds7 is offline   Reply With Quote