Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Engine access based on hood design.

Looking at some short buses, some have the hood that just hinges up giving very limited access to the engine (I think these normally also have an access cover inside the bus) whereas some have the entire front that hinges forward and down giving great access to the engine. I imagine that the latter makes servicing much easier but does it make much difference in reality? Should this be one of my major criteria for choosing a bus?

Gazolba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #2
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazolba View Post
Looking at some short buses, some have the hood that just hinges up giving very limited access to the engine (I think these normally also have an access cover inside the bus) whereas some have the entire front that hinges forward and down giving great access to the engine. I imagine that the latter makes servicing much easier but does it make much difference in reality? Should this be one of my major criteria for choosing a bus?
A short bus is just a van body, cab and chassis. You will find that they all have a small hood and some kind of engine cover inside. They are not easy to work on, just a fact of life. Everything is tight and most of the engine is under the windshield/dash. But, if you get a good one to start with only minor maint items should be needed and for the most part they are easy to get to.
So, oil changes, filter, belts most hoses are not too bad, but if you need to pull a head or do exhaust gaskets, look out.
Full size buses that are short wheel base (also called short buses) are a different story. Most of those have a tilt front end and a big Diesel or gas engine that is pretty easy to get at everything.
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I think the FE flat nose busses are pretty decent except for the radiator and fan.. you get to work on those from Inside the bus.. so if your bus is nice inside keeping clean can be an issue.. but cant beat it in cold weather as its almost like having a heated garage.. I know of one person who put together an engine hoist inside his so he could In-frame overhaul his DT-466.. oulling the head... but that was just a bus shell ..no seats and wasnt converted yet.. he was just wanting a fresh engine..

I have 2 of the mentioned full-size but short conventional with the tilt-front hood.. thus far i have been able to work on everything fairly easily.. in fact since im a little guy I can often stand between the tire and the frame and work since the inner fenders tilt forward with the hood.. I havent tried to change a radiator yet.. but looks like simply removing that tilt hood.. (easily moveable with 2 guys mainly due to bulk) and you can get to all of that easily too.. the conventionals with V-8 diesels everythign is accessible under-hood.. the ones with an inline 6 like a DT-466/ 360 or a cummins you can remove the small doghouse inside if you needed to change a turbo or for when taking the transmission out it makes accessing the bell bolts easier...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote