Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2021, 04:41 PM   #1

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Mini Bird
Engine: L31 Vortec V8
Extending the roof on a 2000 Bluebird Minibird

I recently purchased a 2000 Bluebird Microbird (MB-2) based on a 2000 GMC G3500 cutaway kinda on a whim.
My primary goal is to have it be the car transporter (with the car on a trailer behind it) for the stage rally car I am working on. I'd like to be able to store my parts and tools inside as well, and have the ability to load dirt bikes inside on occasion.

The biggest hold up right now is the height and he size of the rear door. I am a tall-ish individual (6'2") so the stock interior height of about 66 inches means i cannot standup at all. How can I raise the roof? I know the bus section of the car is fiberglass. Methods I've considered are running a van-style topper and just cutting the current roof, meaning I had a central walkpath that would allow me to stand up straight with the sides lower. I've also considered somehow extending the sides upwards, raising the entirety of the stock roof some.

I also want to make the rear door taller so that I can load bikes through there.

any tips on how to do either would be greatly appreciated. I really have no idea what I'm doing but I guess I'l just be learning as I go along haha.

cheronobyl is offline   Reply With Quote