Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 48
Send a message via Yahoo to ThorrsHammer
Finally crossed the line

Hi all,
Been a member of this great site for a while now, just lurking and admiring all the fine projects here.

Today all the stars aligned and I picked up my first bus outside of Everett, PA. '02 Blue Bird 3800. T444E, not sure of the tranny, 8-row ((which I really wanted), very good shape, only one patch of rust on the rear door, and only 25,500 GVWR, so no CDL. Great price. Has cruise control and was actually a breeze to drive 150 miles home. The seller, whom I'd talked with a few times, actually let me use his papers and plate to get her home, after he got the title notarized for me locally. Now for the insurance, and getting the title in my name, and...deciding on a name for the little beast.
Attached Thumbnails
20181207 bus_front.jpg   20181207 bus_sidet.jpg   bus2.jpg  

ThorrsHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:57 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: sturdivan
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3l IDI
Rated Cap: 10,000lbs
congradulations
alpinekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:19 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorrsHammer View Post
Hi all,
Been a member of this great site for a while now, just lurking and admiring all the fine projects here.

Today all the stars aligned and I picked up my first bus outside of Everett, PA. '02 Blue Bird 3800.
I see you've been a skoolie.net member since 2010? I'd say that's "a while". Congratulations on your bus. With all that time here on the forum, you've probably built your bus many times in your head, on paper, on the computer even? I must be pretty exciting to actually have the bus in the driveway. Good luck with your build.
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:32 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Welcome to the site! I love my mid-sized bus!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
I see you've been a skoolie.net member since 2010? I'd say that's "a while". Congratulations on your bus. With all that time here on the forum, you've probably built your bus many times in your head, on paper, on the computer even? I must be pretty exciting to actually have the bus in the driveway. Good luck with your build.

Thank you! Yes, I've mostly been picking up tips and design ideas off and on. Right now, the #1 issue is retitling the bus, since I can't continue it as a school bus, and PA won't allow a "motor home" title until several hoops are jumped through.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

ARGH!!! Just what I am in the market for. Congratulations!
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay? Like to know for my budget plans.
erniejt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniejt View Post
ARGH!!! Just what I am in the market for. Congratulations!
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay? Like to know for my budget plans.

Many thanks, erniejt! I waited quite a while until this one came up. I paid $2250 for it, down $600 from when I first saw the ad. As soon as it dropped, I pulled the trigger.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Minor update

Hi all.

Removed the stop arm, lettering and reflectors from the bus, which I am calling "Point of Origin". It's about 18° outside today, so the work I can do is limited for now. I'm going to try removing the crossing arm tomorrow if it's a bit warmer. I found that the seats are held by 4 bolts on two legs, plus 2 on the side rail. Holding the bolts from above and using an impact driver under the bus works well to get them out.

I spoke with the local title agency here, and after a lot of back and forth between them and DMV, they want me to hold off on retitling it as a "truck" (which would have been temporary), and do the minimum requirements to get the motor home inspection, weighing and titling. The special inspection place is about 3 miles from here, so I'm going to head over and talk with them about what I need, etc., so I can get the title transferred and get insurance on it.
Attached Thumbnails
20181218 bus minus stop sign assembly.jpg  
Old 12-23-2018, 11:23 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorrsHammer View Post
Hi all.

Removed the stop arm, lettering and reflectors from the bus, which I am calling "Point of Origin". It's about 18° outside today, so the work I can do is limited for now. I'm going to try removing the crossing arm tomorrow if it's a bit warmer. I found that the seats are held by 4 bolts on two legs, plus 2 on the side rail. Holding the bolts from above and using an impact driver under the bus works well to get them out.

I spoke with the local title agency here, and after a lot of back and forth between them and DMV, they want me to hold off on retitling it as a "truck" (which would have been temporary), and do the minimum requirements to get the motor home inspection, weighing and titling. The special inspection place is about 3 miles from here, so I'm going to head over and talk with them about what I need, etc., so I can get the title transferred and get insurance on it.
Cool, I just removed the stop arm, stop sign, and lettering from our bus today! Took care of the dmv stuff last week. Went smooth but its the 5th bus I've had now so I've gotten it down to a system.
Have fun!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:54 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Cool, I just removed the stop arm, stop sign, and lettering from our bus today! Took care of the dmv stuff last week. Went smooth but its the 5th bus I've had now so I've gotten it down to a system.
Have fun!

Thank you!

PA is a little "hazy" about the reg/title requirements, so I'm trying to thread that needle and not have to have any do-overs.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:02 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Not a bad price, but if it has rust repair on the doors you haven't gotten to the part that will show the most rust, under the wood floor. I suspect being from your area there is going to be work to be done on the floor.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #12
Skoolie

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat C7
Cool looking bus. Congratulations. I'm eager to see what you have in mind for the layout. I can't quite tell from the pics . . . how long is it?

Joe
TeacherJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:16 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Not a bad price, but if it has rust repair on the doors you haven't gotten to the part that will show the most rust, under the wood floor. I suspect being from your area there is going to be work to be done on the floor.

I'll have to cross that bridge if/when I get to it. Undercarriage is heavily coated and seems solid. It was garaged most of the time so fingers are crossed.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:17 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherJoe View Post
Cool looking bus. Congratulations. I'm eager to see what you have in mind for the layout. I can't quite tell from the pics . . . how long is it?

Joe

Thanks. About 30' bumper to bumper. I'll have to get some more accurate measurements at some point.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:20 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Although the weather's been gray and cold, I managed to remove the fender mirrors and bumper control gate (which came off much easier than the stop arm)
Attached Thumbnails
20190101 bus before2.jpg   20190101 bus after2.jpg  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:57 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Continuing

It was in the teens today, but I managed to get a couple more seats out, and removed the seat bottoms from the frames. They were attached by hinges to the fronts of the frames. When I got one of the seat bolts out, I found there is floor rot at one point, which I assume will be a larger area once I pull the plywood up, but the rest of the bolts seem to be in secure metal. I have to clear out space in the garage to put the seats until I can dispose of the cushions. I'll use some of the metal from the frames, and sell the rest to the scrap yard.
Attached Thumbnails
20190111 bius seats empty.jpg   20190111 bius rear.jpg  
Old 01-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Another milestone

All seats and forward headache-preventer cushions removed. Just the rear heater to pull, at some point.

I'm storing the temporary furnishings (which PA requires 4 of a list of 6), plus I'll add a bed and a table area. I flipped a seat around to face backward, behind the driver's seat. I'll build a little table there.

Also got the oil changed today. Quite a chore getting the filter off, and the oil was very thick and black even after warming up, so it needed doing.
Attached Thumbnails
20190118 bus empty with boxes1.jpg  
Old 01-19-2019, 06:07 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Looks like you are making good progress on your bus. The floor doesn't look too bad. Depending on how much in-town driving you end up doing, you may reconsider removing the crossover mirrors.