Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2016, 07:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke
Finally starting the project.

Ok, so we have finally finished with the designs of our new home and are ready to start doing some serious work. I will try to be active on this site and truly appreciate any advice or input y'all would like to share or links to threads that answer any questions. Our build has mostly been decided on: layout, basic heating, storage sections and etc. But still need to decide on a few things. I'm currently in the process of researching different aspects of bus life, like:

1. how to keep the water storage tank clean (2x 6" PVC pipes running along the roof, inside the bus)
2. which tankless water heater is the most cost and use effective (we are looking at a propane operated one as the others won't work for us)
3. which trojan RE series battery will work best for our solar panel array (2x 400W panels)
4. Water filtration/purification systems. (we are thinking of using the Travel Berkey water filtration system for our drinking water, a rusco reverse flushable filter for loading water into the storage tanks and then using another filter (probably carbon based) to use with wash water (shower, sinks, etc))
5. How to properly ventilate our battery bank, since we will store them inside the bus.
6. Using a tent stove to help heat the bus in colder climates and run a pex system thru the back heater set up.

There's no doubt more but, for now, that's all I'm working on.

So far, we have removed the seats, handicap lift and rubber floor from the bus and have started laying out the sub-flooring with insulation and a pex system to have heated floors. Pictures to follow once I get them off my phone.

Here are exterior pictures of our bus:

Our dog enjoying the ride home from buying the bus.

SweetSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

oh, I almost forgot. To make the bus street legal (so we could drive home) we had to make a few adjustments to the outside. Changing the name of the school was the first and the one that got a lot of response from passerbys.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 9
Chassis: Ford E-venture edition (e-350)
Engine: 7.3 power stroke
nice bus, i just bought what looks to be an identical bus as yours. did you go thru first student directly?
sbc63trls250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks! No, we didn't buy directly from first student. We bought it from a desiel machanic who salvaged it plus 2-3 other bigger busses from the crushing yard.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:34 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 9
Chassis: Ford E-venture edition (e-350)
Engine: 7.3 power stroke
What did you end up paying for the bus if you don't mind me asking
sbc63trls250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:39 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

It wasn't a super killer deal but it was fair for what it is. We had researched the market before we pulled the trigger, including auctions and bus sales companies. I'd say we got it for the right price, and since it's from California, it is a really good deal to us b/c we don't have to deal with rust.