Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2024, 01:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
I used 1/2 Polyiso and 1/2 Baltic Birch Plywood because I was in real height saving mode. I was concerned about compression so I did run some strips where heavy weight was going to land- perimeter of cabinets, and a strip down the middle of my isle. I used the Baltic Birch (basically cabinet grade ply) because it has no voids and more plys making it stiffer that the pathetic stuff I could find at HD. It will be my finish flooring- stained and sealed with polyurethane. The things I do to save 1/8" of height. All glue, no screw.
How is this flooring holding up for you? I'm thinking of doing a floor with 1/2 polyiso and 1/2 plywood to also save some height. Curious how this has worked for you long term.

Downhilltrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 01:07 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilltrucker View Post
How is this flooring holding up for you? I'm thinking of doing a floor with 1/2 polyiso and 1/2 plywood to also save some height. Curious how this has worked for you long term.
So far, I see no issues, but the squishy poly-iso does make me a bit nervous that it will compress. I installed 1/2" furring strips below all edges of the plywood and anywhere there was going to be a load, such as edges of cabinets, etc. I wish there was a 1/2" XPS foam board available.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 01:57 PM   #23

Quote:
So far, I see no issues, but the squishy poly-iso does make me a bit nervous that it will compress. I installed 1/2" furring strips below all edges of the plywood and anywhere there was going to be a load, such as edges of cabinets, etc. I wish there was a 1/2" XPS foam board available.
Same! Used a lot of 1/2 xps on my last build as I could get it then. I'm trying to get every last bit of headroom as I'm 6'4" so I'd rather not use 1" xps but may o that route to err on the side of caution.

How long have you had the 1/2 polyiso floor? Do you use full time? If it's held for a few years I would think you are good to go.
Old 04-11-2024, 03:41 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
I wish there was a 1/2" XPS foam board available.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Co...3NGX/315193939

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GreenGuard-...ard/5001939677
Old 04-11-2024, 03:57 PM   #25

Both listings show out of stock and I have searched everywhere here in northern AZ.
Old 04-11-2024, 04:11 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Both listings show out of stock and I have searched everywhere here in northern AZ.
Well, if you can get to Philly we have plenty around here.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:04 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Quote:
Same! Used a lot of 1/2 xps on my last build as I could get it then. I'm trying to get every last bit of headroom as I'm 6'4" so I'd rather not use 1" xps but may o that route to err on the side of caution.

How long have you had the 1/2 polyiso floor? Do you use full time? If it's held for a few years I would think you are good to go.
We've been using it for about 3 years, not full time- just seasonal trips. I will say, the floor is pretty cold in spring-fall trips. That's not a lot of insulation but I'm 6-2" and I have about 1" clearance where I need it above my head. Slippers work. And I've considered a layer of spray foam below. It wouldn't be too painful on my short bus.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 03:02 PM   #28

Quote:
We've been using it for about 3 years, not full time- just seasonal trips. I will say, the floor is pretty cold in spring-fall trips. That's not a lot of insulation but I'm 6-2" and I have about 1" clearance where I need it above my head. Slippers work. And I've considered a layer of spray foam below. It wouldn't be too painful on my short bus.
Thanks for the info... I'm not as concerned about the insulation (I live in AZ) as much as the long term durability (I live in mine full time)
Old 04-13-2024, 03:31 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Chuck has your back.
Check him out, he's a veteran.

captain_keyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 12:57 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
2003, for our ExpeditionVehicle, we painted-to-seal the factory floor, then laid one-inch pink-board, then half-inch marine plywood painted on all surfaces to seal.
Our visible floor is bamboo around the perimeter, slate in the center.
Over two decades full-time live-aboard, the pink-board shows zero signs of compression or deterioration.
Our floor reduces headroom less than 3"/8cm.
During cool weather, our Wave 3 catalytic heater sits on the floor on its stumpy legs.
The heater warms the slate, then that radiates into the living space.
And warm slate feels wonderful on tootsies.
For your project, I would start with designing your interior, the standards such as bunk, galley, head.
Exterior dimensions flow from that.
An aside:
If you believe your potential spouse would enthusiastically drop everything to eagerly live in your bus or trailer, I would like to know your match-maker!
Our introduction with plenty of portraits, plus our reasons for our decisions:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/e...8/#post-576110
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote