Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2020, 09:38 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas 4-Window
Chassis: 2003 Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 6
Flooring question (compressive strength of unframed foam boards)

Hello,

Based on learnings from this forum, I'm planning to do an unframed foam panel base with plywood overlay for my floor. I'm really trying to save weight by using 1/2 plywood. Also, I'm already very close to crouching in this thing and I have a bad back, so I'm trying to keep every bit of head room.

I'm hoping to use these panels linked below as they're almost 2 whole R-value higher than the standard pink boards. The compressive strength of these is "> 16psi" (vs 25 psi with pink stuff). Is that sufficient with standard 3/4" T&G plywood? How about with 1/2"? The center walkway for this bus will only be 7' x 40".

Thanks!

https://hw.menardc.com/main/items/me...alSpecs_19.pdf

FatBoySTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:03 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
I can't speak on the exact specs, but I put down 2" insulation with no framing. Screwed my plywood directly threw it and into the floor of the bus. no issues at all 2 years later...

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:26 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
I did 1" pink board (which I thought was 15 psi) topped by 3/4" tongue-in-groove plywood. No framing, just plywood on the polystyrene, did sink some screws here and there. I believe, with 1/2" plywood you'd have to land the plywood on a sleeper.

I think the 1" 15 psi foamboard topped with the 3/4" plywood is a great way to go, at least for me in Western Washington. I put sleepers where I was going to put my water tanks, but I changed my plans and the water tanks are now going over the rear wheels.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:38 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Polyiso insulation (the stuff you linked) is usually rated at R-6 or R-6.5 per inch, vs. R-5 per inch for XPS foam. However, the R-value of polyiso actually declines in lower temperatures, which is unusual since most types of insulation have lower R-values in higher temperatures. In cold weather climates, polyiso is usually rated at or below XPS foam (in the neighborhood of R-4 to R-5).

16 PSI is probably fine for an unframed floating floor, even with 1/2" plywood. If you weigh 200 pounds, you could stand on a 4"x4" square of plywood (16 sq. inches) on top of the foam and you would exert a pressure of 12.5 PSI. Plywood is stiff enough to spread the load over a larger area than that.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:55 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
If a person stands about as small as they can, which I'd say is 12"x12", they could weigh a ton, at a 15 psi foamboard loading. Of course it would then depend on the plywood to spread that ton.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:49 AM   #6
Almost There

Thanks, all. Based on the feedback, I think I've settled on the polyiso foam board, unframed, with a 5/8" tongue & groove Sturd-I-Floor. I was not aware that the insulation loses some properties in cold weather, but if it drops to something similar to the pink stuff, I don't think I'm any worse off for it. The bus will primarily be used in the desert southwest for the next few years.

Foam Board Link

5/8" Sturd-I-Floor

I'm still on the fence on foam thickness (1"=R-6, 1.5"=R-9), but leaning toward the 1", then seeing how that goes. With ripping out the stock floor, that will have a minimal impact on headroom (also using 1" in walls, with 5/32" beadboard over it, with stub-outs off the chair rail for anchoring furniture).
Old 06-11-2020, 09:06 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
FWIW, I used 2 inch foam and I think my flooring was 23/32 or 3/4. used 3 inch decking screws to secure it all the way through the floor of the bus. 2 years since install. now issues at all. Cheers

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoySTL View Post
Thanks, all. Based on the feedback, I think I've settled on the polyiso foam board, unframed, with a 5/8" tongue & groove Sturd-I-Floor. I was not aware that the insulation loses some properties in cold weather, but if it drops to something similar to the pink stuff, I don't think I'm any worse off for it. The bus will primarily be used in the desert southwest for the next few years.

Foam Board Link

5/8" Sturd-I-Floor

I'm still on the fence on foam thickness (1"=R-6, 1.5"=R-9), but leaning toward the 1", then seeing how that goes. With ripping out the stock floor, that will have a minimal impact on headroom (also using 1" in walls, with 5/32" beadboard over it, with stub-outs off the chair rail for anchoring furniture).
The plywood you've picked is interior rated ply. It will not do well with any water leakage...
If you know your bus is well sealed I guess this is less an issue. I would still paint both sides and edges of the board (unless the top side is for show with no additional flooring) with any good house paint to seal the wood. Doesn't have to be exterior because no UV is involved -- oops-discount bathroom/kitchen paint would be a good deal...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:22 PM   #9
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
The plywood you've picked is interior rated ply. It will not do well with any water leakage...
If you know your bus is well sealed I guess this is less an issue. I would still paint both sides and edges of the board (unless the top side is for show with no additional flooring) with any good house paint to seal the wood. Doesn't have to be exterior because no UV is involved -- oops-discount bathroom/kitchen paint would be a good deal...
Thanks for the advice. I was under the impression that exterior rated (i.e. pressure treated) plywood was a no-no for interior applications. Is that no longer true?
Old 06-11-2020, 09:19 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I was under the impression that exterior rated (i.e. pressure treated) plywood was a no-no for interior applications. Is that no longer true?
Modern PT lumber uses copper-based compounds so it tends to promote corrosion in steel. Older style PT tended to promote cancer and death so it's probably a good trade-off.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:31 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Pressure treated and exterior grades are two very different things --

So, correct, you DON'T want pressure treated.

(I think) you DO want exterior grade which means it was made with a water proof glue and will handle moisture, condensation, leaks ect w/out buckling...

Pressue treated means you can put it directly in contact with dirt.

The Murder Bus
Old 06-11-2020, 11:23 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
I used 1/2 Polyiso and 1/2 Baltic Birch Plywood because I was in real height saving mode. I was concerned about compression so I did run some strips where heavy weight was going to land- perimeter of cabinets, and a strip down the middle of my isle. I used the Baltic Birch (basically cabinet grade ply) because it has no voids and more plys making it stiffer that the pathetic stuff I could find at HD. It will be my finish flooring- stained and sealed with polyurethane. The things I do to save 1/8" of height. All glue, no screw.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:53 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
I used 1/2 Polyiso and 1/2 Baltic Birch Plywood because I was in real height saving mode. I was concerned about compression so I did run some strips where heavy weight was going to land- perimeter of cabinets, and a strip down the middle of my isle. I used the Baltic Birch (basically cabinet grade ply) because it has no voids and more plys making it stiffer that the pathetic stuff I could find at HD. It will be my finish flooring- stained and sealed with polyurethane. The things I do to save 1/8" of height. All glue, no screw.
That will be a sexy floor!

I like the idea of saving weight -- even if it's just a game in my mind...

The Murder Bus
Old 06-12-2020, 08:21 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
I used a piece of 3/4" 4x8 baltic birch plywood for my sunken floor section and that stuff is rock-solid and smooth. Expensive to do the whole floor that way, though, since it's $55 a sheet at Lowe's right now. I got my piece for $25 because the edges (which I cut off anyway) were bunged up.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I used a piece of 3/4" 4x8 baltic birch plywood for my sunken floor section and that stuff is rock-solid and smooth. Expensive to do the whole floor that way, though, since it's $55 a sheet at Lowe's right now. I got my piece for $25 because the edges (which I cut off anyway) were bunged up.
Yeah, I got lucky as it was only $4 more than a standard sheet of HD's "Sande" wood. Oh, well I did have to buy an extra sheet since they aren't the same sq footage, but it's just bus money
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:29 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
I used the polyiso you had listed and bought from menards also. I believe I went with 3/4 or 1" for my floor ( I can't remember! Would have to read back through my build! Lol) and 3/4" plywood over it. I used self tapping deck screws (for a trailer) and screwed down through the sheet metal floor to attach plywood sandwiching the foam. I used no framing underneath.

With the 1" polyiso I can walk on it (size 10.5 shoe 250 lbs) and it'll hold it's shape no indentions. But if I kneel down on a knee (smaller footprint increasing psi) I would create and indention in it. So plywood spreads out the weight and I've had no issues so far. Installed my sub floor over a year ago. Good luck!!
Old 06-17-2020, 03:56 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas RE
Engine: 3126B
I wouldn't

A few years ago I built a refrigerated trailer out of DIY SIPs consisting of two 3" EPS panels sandwiched between 3/4" OSB. Everything was glued with foam glue so as to form homogeneous structures. I deeply regret not using 3/4" ply for the walking surface. The OSB floor panel has sagged in a few places where interior fixtures rest on it. Maybe 1/2" ply will be sufficient, but I would not use less the 3/4".
gclarkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:35 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
I can't speak on the exact specs, but I put down 2" insulation with no framing. Screwed my plywood directly threw it and into the floor of the bus. no issues at all 2 years later...
+1

except I did it for a portable storage building with 1” poly iso & 3/4 plywood. No negligible compression noticed... I think with the cross layered lamination of plywood, direct force per inch is distributed very well.
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:40 PM   #19
Almost There

Made my panels after fitting. Glued 1/2 x1-1/2 hardwood sleepers to the ply and fit the foam board to shape in between. Only where the Isle was and cabinets/appliances went. Used 3m 5200 to set them in and no creaks or squeaks. Sikaflex makes similar adhesive and both stay pliable for years.
Mudhutwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:28 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
If you are going to put flooring down over the plywood, please read the flooring information sheets. You may find that the top surfacce of the plywood needs to be UNPAINTED to work with your flooring. This was the case with the flooring we installed ... Alure ISO-Core (now called LifeProof).
Native is offline   Reply With Quote