Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65
Re: General Paint Question (I have used search)

I have someone painting my bus for me. Unless you have a ton of rust or the paint is flaking really bad, there is no need to go to bare metal and prime. You should wash it real good with a degreaser or dish liquid first. Then bring any rust areas down to bare metal and fill if needed. Then you can spot prime these areas and any other bare metal that you have. Scuff the old paint with a fine sand paper (dont know what grit) then wipe down the bus with a tack cloth to remove the sanding dust. You also may want to wipe it down again with a silicon/wax remover from the paint store. As far as paint, I used Rustoleum sprayed on the inside (same prep as outside minus the washing) but wanted something more durable and shiny for the exterior. Went with Nason 2k urethane which is a single stage paint with a good shine and good durability on top of an expoxy primer. If you are spraying outside without a clean booth, a base clear can be a real nightmare. Any little spec of dirt or bug will show up really well in the finish which doesnt happen as bad with a single stage. On top of that, the base clear requires more work since you have to spray twice, wet sand, buff etc. I didn't much care for the rustoleum (or any other air dry paint). It took days to harden up and scuffs fairly easy. The floor was painted with a cheap urethane and it takes alot to scuff or scratch it and was completely cured in a few hours.
If it comes down to $$$, the rustoleum is probably the best cheap paint that you can get.

kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Bus Nut

play with the gun and get comfortable with it and it's adjustments, once you start to mpaint the bus try to get an even color coat on the bus, it will probably look striped like a tiger, just let the paint tack up and then reduce the paint some, raise the air pressure and back the paintgun away from the bus and mist on more coats until the paint flows out and the stripes disappear, unfotunately it's not as easy as it sounds but with patients and perseverence yo can do it.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: international
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 22

Hows the paint job going ?

We used straight enamel fleet white commercial paint for tractors and farm equipment or autos . Bought it at auto parts store .

24 ft. shorty took about 1,1/4 gal. . Sanded it down first, hard job . Used a sealer primer .

Hubby painted autos for 30 years that and body work. But on bus he mostly just supervised me and our son except for some spraying he did .
shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote