Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2021, 09:55 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Glovebox conversion and foo closer mod

Greetings

Looking for some thoughts, advice, warning, about converting the unused passenger airbag space for a glove box. I have a 99 E350 7.3 girardin 4 window.

With the door passenger door opener, it would appear that there is no actual airbag in the airbag space on the passenger side. I would like to retain the passenger door appearance, and to keep things simple would like to keep the standard door closer. However the door closure takes up a ton of space. Hence, I was thinking I would just shorten the door closer Mount and rod. I may not be able to open and close it while seated. But reaching a little farther to open the passenger door and gaining 12 to 18 inches of Dash space would be worth it for me.

Has anyone done this or have any advice? The idea is to use a piano hinge on the top of the airbag dash cover, and shorten the mounting bracket and closing rod to the door.

Apologies for any typos, blame it on Siri.
Attached Thumbnails
E6F503B8-B38C-4CC5-8DBB-D45984182A65.jpg   FDBF65CC-4D8C-4C4B-B9F7-FA5EDF015501.jpg  

Manchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:48 AM   #2

Just got a 1996 E350 transport with the same question!! Starting the rebuild soon, but any thoughts/ developments on your end?

Cheers!

Will send pics of my setup too
gnomestyled is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airbag, build, glove box, glovebox, passenger door