Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #1

Year: 89
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 36
GMC 366

I am in the process of buying a GMC 366 BB 36 pass. Basically I want it for a "party bus/camper". The bus has around 170K miles on it and I can buy it for $900 bucks! I thought it was a great deal...but from talking to my friends they seem to think I will be wasting my time with a gas and should buy a diesel. I will use it only prolly 10-12 times a year on short trips the farthest will be going to Ohio State games to tailgate in the fall. I would like some thoughts on this from the "experts" opinions...Any help would be a blessing, Thanks!

nickd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: GMC 366

For 10-12 shorter trips per year you're better off with a gasser. The mileage difference really doesn't pan out like it used to thanks to the high cost of diesel now. Maintenance items for a 366 are going to be cheap and plentiful. Either way you're going to need to change your oil only once per year...I'd rather change say 10 quarts than 5 gallons. Gasoline engines also are far better at "sitting." It is far easier to just throw some Sta-bil and run a gasser for a while than it is to get a diesel in any condition to sit.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #3

Year: 89
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 36

Thanks...so roughly what would be the MPG that you would say? I have heard anywhere from 5-9 MPG. The bus weighs around 24,000.
nickd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickd10
Thanks...so roughly what would be the MPG that you would say? I have heard anywhere from 5-9 MPG. The bus weighs around 24,000.
My 366 is in a Bluebird its 35' bumper to bumper it gets 5-7 mpg at 60-65 mph I haven't checked to see what it gets at 55.

Many people have told me the 366 was designed to be run 250k miles between rebuilds if maintained and not run at too many RPM's

Make sure you tell your insurance company your going to use this for a party bus, my insurance company (GMAC) asked me about 10 questions about what I was going to use it for, my other insurance company (Farmers) would not insure it but they did give plenty of advice we discussed "party bus" hauling friends to "the game" my agent said if I dont declare my use and their was a accident I was on my own because I violated my terms and conditions, he also said if their was personal injury's I would probably lose everything I owned and would have liens put against any of my future purchases, basically people would follow me and my money the rest of my life, bottom line the days of the "party bus" are now over, think hard before you think your doing your friends a favor by driving them to "the game", he also touched base a little on "open container" laws if you get pulled over by the cops, and having the proper drivers license for hauling people to and from even if your not charging them it matters because of the size, in a van you would be ok...

I bought my bus for a conversion into a toy hauler and RV I was cautioned on taking 5 friends on a ride trip also..

The thing my Farmers insurance agent kept stressing was the IMPORTANCE of telling your insurance agent EVERYTHING you might be using the bus for, he said its quite easy for insurance company's to deny claims because you were outside the intended use.
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser
Make sure you tell your insurance company your going to use this for a party bus, my insurance company (GMAC) asked me about 10 questions about what I was going to use it for, my other insurance company (Farmers) would not insure it but they did give plenty of advice we discussed "party bus" hauling friends to "the game" my agent said if I dont declare my use and their was a accident I was on my own because I violated my terms and conditions, he also said if their was personal injury's I would probably lose everything I owned and would have liens put against any of my future purchases, basically people would follow me and my money the rest of my life, bottom line the days of the "party bus" are now over, think hard before you think your doing your friends a favor by driving them to "the game", he also touched base a little on "open container" laws if you get pulled over by the cops, and having the proper drivers license for hauling people to and from even if your not charging them it matters because of the size, in a van you would be ok...

I bought my bus for a conversion into a toy hauler and RV I was cautioned on taking 5 friends on a ride trip also..

The thing my Farmers insurance agent kept stressing was the IMPORTANCE of telling your insurance agent EVERYTHING you might be using the bus for, he said its quite easy for insurance company's to deny claims because you were outside the intended use.

Sounds like your agent is interested in getting your money... and nothing else. Are you soposed to call them before every trip with your bus to make sure you fall within their guidelines? That seems ridiculous, you wouldn't do that with your car would you? When I last had insurance on my bus there were no questions asked. I would recommend looking at a different insurance company or agent. Sounds like these guys would do anything to get out of paying a claim, if they deny your claim what good are they?
Old 04-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser

Sounds like your agent is interested in getting your money... and nothing else. Are you soposed to call them before every trip with your bus to make sure you fall within their guidelines? That seems ridiculous, you wouldn't do that with your car would you? When I last had insurance on my bus there were no questions asked. I would recommend looking at a different insurance company or agent. Sounds like these guys would do anything to get out of paying a claim, if they deny your claim what good are they?
Hey dont shoot the messenger lol

My agent could have took my money and never said a thing then sent me the paper with the card that has the fine print that nobody ever reads but he was honest and up front, he has seen buses converted and owners having problems filing claims in the past simply because they didnt declare it was a "Bus" when they filed the claim the actual "company" refused to pay NOT the agent, the insurance "company" can tell by your VIN number exactly what you insured was since the day it rolled off the production line, when you file a claim the "agent" has very little to do with the claims being paid, insurance company's are in business to make profits not pay claims, he was going out of his way to protect and serve me so I would not suffer in the future.

Bottom line is if your using your "bus" for something others can say is "comerical" (like hauling people) then you better tell your insurance "agent" and ensure your covered, if your using your bus as a "party bus" you better call your insurance agent and ask if your covered, like it or not insurance company's deny claims for a living.

Again dont shoot the messenger, call your agent, research what your covered for, insurance company's are more than willing to take your money for YEARS then deny a claim (ask your agent) because it was not part of your agreement or a "covered item" ..

Personally I dont like insurance company's I have only filed one auto claim (80 mph winds damaged my slide in camper) and had to fight with them for about 9 months before they paid me.
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote