Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Eldorado National
Chassis: Chevy 3500 Express
Engine: Duramax Diesel
Rated Cap: 10
Gordy the shuttle bus

Hi folks,

Welcome to the (future) home of our build project.

We'll be adding pictures and updates over the new few days of what we have so far and then plan to update pretty regularly, asking questions as we go.

scootermcscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
Looking for a Shuttle Bus to convert myself. I will be following yours closely. What is your vision for the build? Trying to find a shuttle that will fit a bed, shower, toilet, and kitchen area without going into the plus 20 seating is tough. lol
Doug
Defjr333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:18 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Woodstove installation questions

So we managed to pick up a used Little Cod woodstove for a song and now we have to figure out how to install it.

Does anyone have any tips on how to install a woodstove where the pipe passes through a fiberglass roof?
Old 10-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermcscoot View Post
So we managed to pick up a used Little Cod woodstove for a song and now we have to figure out how to install it.

Does anyone have any tips on how to install a woodstove where the pipe passes through a fiberglass roof?
Welcome !!!

We refuse to help unless you feed us pictures of your bus.

I did find this
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:53 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defjr333 View Post
Trying to find a shuttle that will fit a bed, shower, toilet, and kitchen area without going into the plus 20 seating is tough. lol
Doug
We fit all that plus a dinette in a 24' shuttle without much trouble.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermcscoot View Post

Use a double-walled chimney pipe and keep it 2" from any combustibles, including the roof. Just fabricate or buy a collar where it passes through the roof and fix the collar with butyl tape and screws. Flash the chimney to the collar with the normal sticky flashing.

That's pretty much the standard for going through a house roof, and it would be no different from any other roof.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

An update

Been a busy few weeks working on the bus, enough time to learn that EVERYTHING takes a lot longer than you would expect it to.

The subfloor is installed in both the main living area of the bus as well as the "foyer" (that bit beside the driver and the steps). We insulated and put in 1x3 strapping to give us something to attach cabinets to beneathe the 1/2" ply.

I found some old oak hardwood flooring that I got given years ago that had been sitting around and had just enough to floor the foyer. Thats now being sanded and prepped ready for installation some time next week.

We decided to frame down each side of the bus to give us a something nice to hide the wiring behind and to attach the backs of cabinets to so have started that and marked out where our kitchen, workspace and wardrobe will go.

Have decided to leave building the bed area til last as the back door is very handy when it comes to picking up materials.

We have our woodstove, a gently used Little Cod that we're trying to figure out how to install. It takes 4" stovepipe which is easy enough to find but not so much the cap to go on top or the things needed to pass it through the roof. Will be asking some forum questions on that shortly.

So thats a quick run down of where we are, will be posting more pictures to the album shortly.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:54 PM   #8
Skoolie

Coachwork: Never coached any teams, not even junior soccer
Chassis: I'm still figuring out what this means
Engine: CAT diesel
Rated Cap: No caps, only hats.
Foyer?!

Sounds like a great bus. No antechamber on the foyer?
spenceronehalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:47 AM   #9
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenceronehalf View Post
Sounds like a great bus. No antechamber on the foyer?
You have to have somewhere to kick-off your shoes before you go into the larger space.

Click image for larger version

Name:	anti.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	16916
Old 11-27-2017, 10:15 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

a bit of an update

Gordy is coming along slowly but surely. For the first time in a long time it doesn't look like a mobile jobsite thanks to unloading everything but the hardwood floor boxes this weekend.

The front steps are just waiting for a warm enough day to get the second coat of varuthane, verithate, dammit, varnish put on.

We have some dripping challenges to address from above the doors that will hopefully be resolved cleaning out the old caulking and reapplying shiny new waterproof stuff in its place.

We installed the ceiling cabinets, well at least the framing for them, just need to cover them and make them look pretty and figure out which ones will have doors and which ones will be open.

The closet at the front of the bus is similarly framed. The porta potti will site in the bottom third and pull out on rails over the steps for those night time emergencies. We're going to have a piece of flooring that will sit over the stairs when we're parked overnight that will give us room to use it. The top third of the closet will be... well... a closet.

We've almost figured out the woodstove transition.

We took down the uninsulated fiberglass ceiling and we have the insulation and reflectix that will be going up. We've figured out how to get the curve we want on the new ceiling but might have to put that on hold if we're really going to put a roof deck on. We'll probably need to bolt through the roof steel and mount the deck members and don't want to have to take down the ceiling before that.

Have decided to use the existing dome lighting loom that came with the but but make new light fittings that are individually switched rather than run new wires. There's lots of slack in the original tails so we can relocate the lights very easily.

What else..... oh yes, we left the heaters in place for now and decided against infloor heating. Maybe in Bus 2.0 it'll be a thing (is it weird that we're nowhere near finished and I'm already thinking about the next build?) The front one we floored around in such a way that if we decide to pull it later we can fill the hole easily and neatly. The rear one has a tunnel that vents the heat along a tunnel that runs under the bed and out into the main part of the bus. We'll do some testing and check temps but we might need to add some hvac conduit to be safe as the tunnel is just wood at the moment and I'm not sure how hot the heater will run.

So the next step is to fix all the leaks, figure out how to seal the bottom step against water (have some rubber matting that I just need to make a template for and then cut and glue into place, second coat of varnish, add the bullnose and edging and we will officially have ONE part of the bus finished. Have a bottle of wine already set aside for that day. Small milestone I know but I'll take it.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #11
Skoolie

Coachwork: Never coached any teams, not even junior soccer
Chassis: I'm still figuring out what this means
Engine: CAT diesel
Rated Cap: No caps, only hats.
You're doing it! Nice to read this update
spenceronehalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
For what you are using it as the wood will actually serve better as ducting than metal and it doesn't need to be insulated.
Just seal it up like it is ductwork and roll with it.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #13
Traveling

Any pics???

use your phone, hit the paperclip to upload them to the form^^^^

Sounds like the project is over the hump. Fix water issue pronto
Old 12-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #14

I'm going to bump this but I'm actually just wanting pictures.
jmacx81 is offline   Reply With Quote