Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 3800
Rated Cap: 34
Re: Greetings!

I am working on mine now. I am putting in a composting toilet, self contained and cost around $1400.00. I found a 9 gallon water tank that was on sale at the West Marine for about $30.00. I am looking for 2 sinks and a small holding tank. It's all possible, just depends on how much you want to spend. The composting toilet is a lot easier to install, but right now its the most expensive part of my bus. It cost more than half of what I spent on the whole bus. Check out my post, I have links for the toilet. I found it on sale online with a factory rebate and free shipping.

Good luck,
Chuck

https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/index...es/PAIR-A-DOCS
cjgbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

Congrats on the bus... We want pics...

Not sure about the ins in CA, but there is a thread on here about the different state requirements...

The other stuff however, just take your time and read through other peoples build threads that interest you and what you would like to accomplish... There's a lot of info regarding tech type stuff... The plumbing can be salvaged from an RV like a motorhome or camp trailer...

The hardest part of your conversion will be convincing yourself that you can do it... Start out with some easy tasks, research and follow what you've seen others do... If you get stuck, ask for help...

It's gonna be exciting... This can be as fun as you want it to be, or not...

Good luck,
Luey...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545

You will probably have to lay out your floorplan, plumbing plan, and electrical diagram and then do the framing before the plumbing/electric to have something to attach it to, and so you know exactly where the plumbing and electric needs to connect to your fixtures/appliances. I can't imagine trying to run wiring without having the framing at least as a reference for where each wire needs to connect to switches and outlets, etc. Likewise with plumbing, I would think you would need to know exactly where drains and supply lines will connect to your fixtures. I don't mean to make it sound too complicated, but I would think framing needs to happen first. I'm not completely done with my framing yet, and I have been running my wiring as I frame. I'm now starting to think about plumbing before I sheet in any framed areas.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

You need your floor plan first and foremost. How can you run electric or plumbing if you don't know where it will go. You need to tape out the floor plan on the floor. Duct tape is a good way to do that. Then walk thru the plan. It's easier to move a piece of duct tape than a framed in wall. Once you get the floor plan locked down, get a can of paint and spray the tape. That way, when the tape peels up you still have the lines. We have "moved" cabinets in the galley several times and have recently shifted from the idea of undercabinet sized refrigerator stacked over a 24" residential dishwasher to a small (12 CF or so) residential refrigerator and a 18" apt sized DW. I used to be a kitchen/bath designer, I design kitchens in my sleep. I know how to get the most efficient use of space in a small area... and I'm still moving cabinets around!

These articles were written and refer mostly to the highway coaches not skoolies. But the info in these articles can also be applied to skoolies.
http://www.busnut.com/bbs/messages/12262/12262.html

If your plumbing or electrical skills are weak, get some books on those subjects from the fleamarket, thrift stores, Craigslist or Freecycle. And there's always the public library.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy

Congrats on the bus! Would like to see pictures of coarse! If your short bus is like mine, check out my floor plan and see what you think. Theres plenty more then whats listed, but its a basic idea. If not, there is a bunch on here, all kinds of styles. Id say you came to the right place!