Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2021, 07:43 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Help Choosing Short Bus

I was stoked to go look at (and hopefully buy a bus) tomorrow, but was told to steer clear of the specific diesel engine that was in the bus. The bus was a 2010 Ford Econoline Chassis - E450 Collins with a Powerstroke 6.0 liter engine.

So, the search continues, and I came across this:

$10,000
1998 GMC 3500
6.5l turbo diesel
115,000 miles

Equipped already with the following:

"150watt solar setup, Morningstar mppt system, 1500 watt gopower inverter, two deep cycle batteries, propane box for two 20lb tanks with professionally installed triple tee and three lines to the inside of the bus, propane fridge ( needs work ) high end eccotemp on demand propane hot water heater, shower, flush toilet, 35 gallon fresh water tank under bed, water spigot outside of bus, sink, 35 gallon black water tank under bus, pergo flooring, tv wall mount, professionally painted forest green, lots of storage under the bed, seat, sink, closet area, bus heater removed and radiator hoses shortened and rerouted.

Mechanically sound, the pmd has been remounted to the top of the air box on the engine, this is the most common problem with these buses so that is taken care of, oil cooler lines have been replaced, as well as other various maintenance. Starts right up and runs great. More to list but no more room to list on FB."

My mechanic told me "It's too old", but I wanted to know what everyone's thoughts were as I continue to read that the older model diesels are better. It also looks clean and rust free especially from being in NH.

Thanks

anthvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:10 AM   #2
Bus Nut

A 1998 is, in no way, too old...and that's pretty low mileage for that age (youth?). Maybe the mechanic preferred something newer on which he could plan to work and make a boat payment? <kidding about the mechanic's motivations>
rossvtaylor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:21 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
A 1998 is, in no way, too old...and that's pretty low mileage for that age (youth?). Maybe the mechanic preferred something newer on which he could plan to work and make a boat payment? <kidding about the mechanic's motivations>
lol!

Seriously. He's a friend of the family, just don't think he understands it.

Also, it has a lot of stuff in it that I can remove from my budget.

I'm going to try and talk to him.
anthvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:35 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 30,000 lbs
I don’t think “too old” is a good argument here. Most of us use ancient equipment relative to the age of the rolling stock on the road.

But there is some truth to it - in commercial use, 20+ years is way beyond its reasonable economic life. So you would expect it to need an unreasonable amount of repairs. In normal circumstances!

There is primarily aging, and wear. Other parts play a role: maintenance, care, accident history, fuel economy, emissions/tax/insurance, and parts availability, which may or may not be an issue for a 1998.

If it hasn’t deteriorated too much because it was garaged well, and it has “only” 115k miles (verified ?!) you may get lucky. You can check the first thing on the spot.

I’d be mostly concerned about the load rating. It’s a 1 ton truck, that doesn’t get you very far. People, water, batteries... but it can be done.
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote