Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: !Help! My Bus Has No Metal Floor

start with pressure treated plywood, then coat the bottom with rubberized undercoat after you install it.

paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Nambucca (nsw)
Chassis: Nissan Ud Truck chassis
Engine: FD6T
Rated Cap: 35
Send a message via Yahoo to Bavo76

Not all buses come out with a metal floor mine doesn't its only a ply floor with a rubber flooring its almost 1'' thick so Ive only sprayed mine gloss black under my bus .so how thick is your floor and is it original flooring as it must of passed when new and if you do rip up the floor and replace with metal .you will need a mig welder and its going to be hard going welding while on your back under your bus and getting the panels to meet over a cross member or you are going to have to put more bracing in
Bavo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA 360, Fuller 6-speed
Rated Cap: 53

There is no steel under the plywood? Did you crawl under the bus and verify? My bus has a plywood floor, but the subfloor is steel.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

if you're worried about it rotting id rustoleum the bottom of the bus lol
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Ford/Willock
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Doesn't have one
Rated Cap: 16 passenger

Hi, I am facing the same situation with my "Pit Stop"

At the moment it's "WATCH WHERE YOU STEP!" or you go through parts of the floor.

I have to agree with all the other answers, put in a new floor and coat the underside with some sort of waterproofing.

That's what I plan to do AFTER "Pit Stop" gets cleaned out and stops being a shed

If you haven't read my post on her she's an old Ford skoolie, then logging company "crummy", now minus her front axle she's up on blocks waiting to be my outdoor living/dining area for hot weather

Good Luck with your project

Lois
yugogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavo76
you will need a mig welder and its going to be hard going welding while on your back under your bus and getting the panels to meet over a cross member or you are going to have to put more bracing in

No laying on your back is needed. Drill half inch holes through the new metal floor sheeting over the cross members, and simply plug weld.

Mig welder or Tig would be the way to go.

Wood floor is fine as long as the part where you sit while driving is steel. More times than I can count I have had things hit the floorboard under my feet hard enough to punch through a wood floor, but only dent a steel one. One time on my Bronco 2, the drive shaft broke just behind the transmission. Still attached to the rear end, it dug into the road, and blew through the floor board right behind me. Good thing my kids weren't in the back seat.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Quite a few of the fiberglass bodied units have only ply for flooring. If you want it to last I would suggest investing a few bucks more for "Marine Grade" plywood then putting a heavy layer of spray on rubberized undercoating on the underside. Even "treated" ply will have a short life span due to the type of adhesives used and de-lamination will begin to occur fairly rapidly if exposed to water with any frequency. Marine grade is the only ply rated for wet environments. It is pricey but a whole lot cheaper than having to tear everything out in a few years. Also, using a urethane based glue (like "Gorilla Glue") between all the butt joints will help tremendously. Like the Marine ply, it is the only glue rated for "below waterline" use and is 100% waterproof. Just be sure to use disposable gloves when working with it. The stuff turns your skin black and it does not come off until the skin does!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote