Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2020, 12:23 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Or rebiuild it like I did my dev bus.. I kept my front door heater and restored it with new core and motors.
My driver heater I gutted out and installed a custom heat/ cool unit so I have dashboard A/C and good driver best plus refrigerated defrost if I want it ( rainy humid days it defiogs like a new car)..
Did you do a write up on the gut and replacement of the drivers box?

I can run my diesel heater whilst driving... so I removed the rear heater, and planned to remove the drivers box for the same reason, and just keep the defroster box

would love to see if you did could you link it?

RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:05 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466E Diesel
Hey everybody. So checking in. I got the bus cranking again. Turns out that the batteries must of have been wired in a series before, but the previous owner kept both of them and replaced it with one large 12V battery. So that problem is settled. I was planning on replacing the battery box and wiring 2 batteries in parallel anyways. So it’s all good their.

In other news. I removed a giant chunk of cancer from
The rear of my bus. I attempted to weld it, but the crappy stick welder I bought turned out to not be as great as I want. Anybody have any ideas how I should attempt
To replace this small section of floor panel? Rivets maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
BBD4F0E1-C216-43F5-854E-8AB920912B80.jpg   3717DFAB-A461-4F70-AB8C-25FD47081CC3.jpg  
BabztheBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:09 PM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Hey guys ran into another problem with the bus.

Had to move it to do some light body work, and the bus isn’t starting. We had a similar problem a while back where we cleaned the battery terminals and it started up but now we are having a similar problem.

I ran a diagnostic on the bus and it’s pulling a few codes
543, 234, and 615.

I think the problem lies in the battery. The previous owner replaced the 2 batteries with 1 12 volt industrial battery which I don’t believe is the 31 terminal battery. So I don’t think the IDM is not getting enough power to juice the ecm. The glowplig and wait to start light comes on but I don’t get the tachometer to cycle like it use to. I think I’m going to try a new battery, or 2. And start their. Maybe it’s just that or their is a ground somewhere. Anybody have a clue?
Old 08-28-2020, 07:35 AM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
so did you disconnect the batteries from the bus before you shot all them volts with the welder to it?

I've gotten away with blasting on vehicles and not disconnecting the batteries, but you are actually supposed to

been welding over 20 years
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:54 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Nope, they were unplugged!

Well update, cleaned connections, terminals, chased wires as best I could and still nothing. I’m contemplating replacing the whole positive battery cable but the Rig is still pulling the same 543 code sooo. Think it’s a lost cause at this point.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:26 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Hey everybody,

Been a crazy week here, but finally figured out what was with the no start. The ECM was getting power but the IDM wasn’t getting enough juice to crank the injectors. Had a bus guy come take a look and we found a short in 2 different pins at the IDM. Hooked up some new wires and she fired right up! I suggest anyone who gets a bus like a 444e or any electronic model to invest in a voltmeter/multimeter and that screwdriver that shows you if it’s getting power. That way you won’t get stranded!

Now onto patching up the back wall and floor panels. Hopefully I can get this, new lights in, and a decent paint job before winter hits in Minnesota!