RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-21-2018, 12:23 AM   #21
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 14,425
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
theres a lot of everything still ouit on the road.. like ive said earlier.. theres good ones and bad ones of everything...



some say the old gas 392's are worthless.. i just drove a 40 year old across the country and its original from all i can tell..



theres 7.3's that have flown apart in pieces.. and 6.0s with over 300,000..


maintenance to crucial to any.. its tough to know what may have happened to a bus before you get it... service records help nad being dilligent about fully checking it out before paying the money is often more helpful///


and of course if there are Preventative issues you can do, do them.. ie EGR and oil Coolers on a 6.0 go a long way.. if a full chassis with a 545, a trans cooler..



7.3's fix the oil / fuel leaks and if high mileage pre-99.5 make sure the injectors and glowplugs are good...


-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:11 AM   #22
Bus Crazy
 
Ronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,949
Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
hmmm I have an old gas 392. Got to be careful not to spread bad juju about them.....
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:00 AM   #23
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 14,425
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
hmmm I have an old gas 392. Got to be careful not to spread bad juju about them.....

I just drove a 40 Year 392 Superior Across the country...(2500 miles) , many people here say gasser busses are worthless... (that full size bus climbed hills faster than my shortie 444E until I started heating up the Transmission and had to back it down)..


my point is that mine has lasted 40 years and looking at it, appears the heads have never been pulled off the engine.. or if they were then someone was OCD careful about not nicking the head bolts up with a socket when they put it back together...



theres a lot of people that spread rumors about engines that are good and bad.. people need to assess their own needs / wants and do their own research rather than rely on people on one forum saying "yeaay or nay"..



-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:32 AM   #24
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,033
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I can't recall anyone ever losing their business over the 392 gas engine. Those old engines were built to last.
The 6.0, well they will always be a black eye on the manufacturer and its deserved. Navistar really dropped the quality in the early 2000's.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #25
Bus Crazy
 
Ronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,949
Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
This is my first 392, although I have had the 304 and 345 both of which did great for me. I expect to have mine ready to start by the end of the week. Putting finishing touches on the fuel injection, and some other odds and ends.

I have to say the forum is a good place to do research, we get to find out what has worked for people and what has not. Sure there are a lot of opinions, and some not based on first hand knowledge at that. But all and all a good place to start.

Must say for Madhat, going from a bus that overheats to "maybe" buying another that has overheated enough to blow the head gasket does not seem like a good idea.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I can't recall anyone ever losing their business over the 392 gas engine. Those old engines were built to last.
The 6.0, well they will always be a black eye on the manufacturer and its deserved. Navistar really dropped the quality in the early 2000's.
I found this GMC 4 window 1999 with the 6.5l turbodiesel. Seems like most people prefer the 7.3s on the ford. Does the 6.5 have a good reputation like the powerstroke?
madhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:54 PM   #27
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,033
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhat View Post
I found this GMC 4 window 1999 with the 6.5l turbodiesel. Seems like most people prefer the 7.3s on the ford. Does the 6.5 have a good reputation like the powerstroke?
No, it doesn't quite have the reputation the 7.3 has. But its a good engine.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:58 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
No, it doesn't quite have the reputation the 7.3 has. But its a good engine.
I am asking because the bus is relatively inexpensive, under my budget so I could get more fancy things...haha..
It just came out of service and has a new injection pump. 280k miles on it.
madhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #29
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,033
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhat View Post
I am asking because the bus is relatively inexpensive, under my budget so I could get more fancy things...haha..
It just came out of service and has a new injection pump. 280k miles on it.
Man, just on the info provided I'd imagine its cheap because its had a long life already. 280k on a weighed-down van is a lot of miles. Even for a diesel.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Man, just on the info provided I'd imagine its cheap because its had a long life already. 280k on a weighed-down van is a lot of miles. Even for a diesel.
I talked to the owner. He runs the school bus fleet and the bus has been maintained on schedule. He said the bus has had 2 turbos and the injection pump replaced. Good tires and brakes all things work. They never drove it hard, kept it in the speed limit and said it goes up the 5% hill without slowing down much even loaded. No overheating issues.
madhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #31
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,033
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhat View Post
I talked to the owner. He runs the school bus fleet and the bus has been maintained on schedule. He said the bus has had 2 turbos and the injection pump replaced. Good tires and brakes all things work. They never drove it hard, kept it in the speed limit and said it goes up the 5% hill without slowing down much even loaded. No overheating issues.
If its cheap enough and you want to roll the dice go for it.
If I had a bus like you're describing and it had 280k with no issues I'd be looking to get rid of it too. Harder to get rid of once a problem pops up.
Not trying to discourage you. But at that mileage the engine has to be getting a bit tired. And in a van its a PITA to work on engines! I drive a van.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #32
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,364
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhat View Post
I talked to the owner. He runs the school bus fleet and the bus has been maintained on schedule. He said the bus has had 2 turbos and the injection pump replaced. Good tires and brakes all things work. They never drove it hard, kept it in the speed limit and said it goes up the 5% hill without slowing down much even loaded. No overheating issues.
Never drove it hard, but replaced 2 turbos, makes you wonder?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:12 PM   #33
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,033
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Never drove it hard, but replaced 2 turbos, makes you wonder?
Yeah, why to me it seems like a good case for "lets get rid of it before it breaks again".
But this is just a guess from me, a random guy on the internet.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:43 PM   #34
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 177
My self I have always felt the cutaway van chassis vehicles have compromising seating position. It’s not the seats that are the problem it’s the engine next to you puts feet in a very small area.

I just do not understand why people want these cutaway vans (especially gas ones) over a slightly bigger busses.
The chassis design makes engine work very difficult. Gas versions get worse MPH than full size bus with a deisel engine.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:05 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie
 
BoggerBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 34
I have a 97 e350 short bus with a 7.3 and before i got my hands into it it ran great on the highways and buzzed along the back roads with plenty of pep. I've had it for 2 years and I assure you it been through more then any street driven bus will ever do. Motors been purring good and only issues I've had is from me going a little too extreme offroading. Mileage and such i can't really say is the best now since its running 38.5 tall tires and has 10in of lift. I still drive it everywhere and have taken it on 3 hour road trips its just not what most people would consider a "comfy" ride anymore.



https://imgur.com/gallery/zJcHm
BoggerBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:06 AM   #36
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
Posts: 592
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
That bus is extremely cool...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoggerBus View Post
I have a 97 e350 short bus with a 7.3 and before i got my hands into it it ran great on the highways and buzzed along the back roads with plenty of pep. I've had it for 2 years and I assure you it been through more then any street driven bus will ever do. Motors been purring good and only issues I've had is from me going a little too extreme offroading. Mileage and such i can't really say is the best now since its running 38.5 tall tires and has 10in of lift. I still drive it everywhere and have taken it on 3 hour road trips its just not what most people would consider a "comfy" ride anymore.



https://imgur.com/gallery/zJcHm
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:43 AM   #37
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: CT. near New Haven.
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoggerBus View Post
I have a 97 e350 short bus with a 7.3 and before i got my hands into it it ran great on the highways and buzzed along the back roads with plenty of pep. I've had it for 2 years and I assure you it been through more then any street driven bus will ever do. Motors been purring good and only issues I've had is from me going a little too extreme offroading. Mileage and such i can't really say is the best now since its running 38.5 tall tires and has 10in of lift. I still drive it everywhere and have taken it on 3 hour road trips its just not what most people would consider a "comfy" ride anymore.



https://imgur.com/gallery/zJcHm
Did you buy it with 4WD, or did you add it?
I dont think i have ever seen a 4WD school bus, so i assume you added it.
yfrank14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:41 AM   #38
Mini-Skoolie
 
BoggerBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfrank14 View Post
Did you buy it with 4WD, or did you add it?
I dont think i have ever seen a 4WD school bus, so i assume you added it.

me and my buddy built it 2 years ago. was just a normal church bus when i got it
BoggerBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #39
Almost There
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 95
Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet Express 3500
Engine: Duramax
Just scanned your build thread and looked fun.

For those without BoogerBus's skills and resources, 4x4 Van Conversion kits makes a kit that works as seen here

dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×