Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2020, 01:32 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Caterpillar 3126
Rated Cap: 16
How wide is too wide...

Hey yall,

My nephew and I are looking for a bus under 28ft long and, here's the crucial part, 8ft or less wide on the outside. My driveway is EXTREMELY narrow and I have widened it as much as possible already (8ft5 at it's narrowest point). It is cut into a hill and with neighbors on one side and a retaining wall on the other, there really isn't an option to widen it further. I haven't heard good things about cutaways, but right now it seems like it's my only option.

Anyone heard of a smallish bus (24-28ft long) that is only 8ft wide or less??

Thanks for your time!!

KatTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Even full size school buses are 8 feet wide, it's a standardized size limit. Mirrors and lights may protrude beyond this limit but the body will not.

I have seen a very few "motorcoach" style school buses but these are very rare in the U.S. (and I suspect many of them were for field trip use).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:08 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Howdy neighbor (somewhat).

My full-size conventional is 24' bumper-to-bumper....the rear tires are the widest part of the bus (excluding mirrors).

I measured the wheel spans last year (for someone here), which is why I have pics.

The board is 8' long. The front tire span (outside edge to outside edge) is 91".

In the last 2 pics (rear tires), you can barely see the ends of the 8' board on each side (pics taken looking as straight downwards as possible).

The mirrors stick out a good 6" on each side, so if that retaining wall is taller than 5 1/2' of so, you'll have issues.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: fs65
Engine: 7.2 catapillar 3126
Rated Cap: 41 students
My 25-foot Thomas bus is 8 feet wide. It's in standard driveways. Once you get the size of it just hug the wall and all is well Click image for larger version

Name:	20200211_112006.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	41544
Old 02-13-2020, 12:19 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Engine: Caterpillar 3126
Rated Cap: 16
Red face Thanks!!

Thanks for your feedback, Yall!

Brad_SwiftFur, I'm not sure why 8 1/2 ft was stuck in my brain, maybe that's with mirrors?? Thanks for setting me straight!
plfking, hey neighbor! Your pics really put me at ease, I was having a panic attack there for a minute thinking I was going to have to give up/severely downgrade my dream. Where'd you find your bus btw? I'm having a hard time finding a shorty that is not a cutaway in NC.
sepudo, oh my god that photo is terrifying lol. I'm definitely going to need to practice before i try to pull it up the driveway. In the meantime, I suppose i can park it on the street for a couple weeks while I get comfortable.

Thanks again so much for taking the time to answer! I can't wait to get started!!
KatTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:32 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

School buses are limited to 96" wide and 40' long maximum.

Motorcoaches and transit buses are limited to 102" wide and 45' with three axles.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Mine's a close match for your description, it came from southern WV and, of all things, has a manual transmission. I can fairly easily back it into most parking spots. They're not too hard to find.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote