Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2009, 01:50 PM   #1

Year: 90
Coachwork: short bus
IM A SUCKER FOR A SHORT BUS ;)

Ladies and Gentlemen................Thanks to all of your cool Skoolies that kept me up all night the last couple of weeks as I navigated through this site looking at all of the AWESOME IDEAS. Well I finally pulled the trigger on a 1990 Chevy 30 short school bus. Pictures are on the way so stay tuned for that.

The seller was asking $1,500 for the bus but I sent him some comparables of buses that people were practically giving away and hence I picked her up for $500 bucks still under Virginia tags. I am registering her in Maryland.

The fact that she was under a current Virginia tag led me to beleive that at least she had been looked at in the last couple of years as opposed to buying something that has been sitting in a field for ten years.

I am a drummer involved in a few different projects and have had many vans to lug my equiptment around with. I really wanted something I could stand up in and entertain more people. Aside from gigs I wanted to use it as an RV and tailgater.

I thought if I paint her white and tint all the windows that would help me be less of an eye sore to the neighbors (white because if reflects the sun and to make it look more like an innocent church bus v.s the debachery that may go on in a drummers bus ;))

My initial thought is to remove all of the seats and make a large horeshoe style limo seating that could store my equiptment locked under the seats ;)

I will have lots of questions and look forward to all of your help ! I promise I will add pics soon.....I love all your before and after shots and KILLER ideas

As far as painting..........I must admit many of the old conversions vans I used I would barely wash and with a beer in one hand and an 88cent can of spray paint I would just paint right over everything like old stripes and scratches and mosquitos...............It would brighten them up and make them less of an eye sore (no sanding just spray) admitedly not perfect but for 10 bucks I had a decent lookn van.

The spray cans may be a little more work than I would like to do..............I have been reading some people actually just roll it with pan and roller......................I have been lookn into a sprayer since its a large job........but still think of the ease of some spray cans and a beer or two and going at it ;)) TALK ME OUT OF IT??

As for tint...........I was going to go with the darkest tint available or even the mirror tint would be cool...............but I dont want cops pulling me over all of the time and asking if I have bombs or a party going on

I also notice some people just paint or cover over some windows.........I thought maybe all of the lower windows I could block?

Whats the best way to add a receiver hitch? local weldng shop?

Has anyone used Sound proofing tiles on the ceilings or sides?.................ok that s all for now

thanks Billy Dangerous

william Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote