I put the batteries in from of the original battery box and used the additional space in the battery box to mount my MPPT controller.
This is not perfect because it was unbelievably hard to get the batteries in there, I wish I had cut out the upper stair in the stairwell and made a box under there.
The wire runs in to a steel chanel.
And out on the bottom
The wires etc are just temped in to test the setup. 2.9amps in heavy shade!
These are two pvl-144 panels from UniSolar. I cut them and re-soldiered the leads to connect the cut off parts. I was VERY relieved when I plugged it all in and it worked.