Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 35
I was able to get insurance on my bus through Progressive Commercial as I had saw others post about in other threads. I have all of my other insurance through USAA, who doesn't insure RV's and has an agreement with Progressive. I think the USAA connection must have helped me, because I had a policy in less than 10 minutes at a rate less than my personal vehicles if I paid the year upfront.

The important thing is to not say you are converting it if that is your end goal, because that gets you nothing. I am using mine to store canoes and kayaks and to transport myself and up to 6 personal friends to launch points in a not for hire situation.

bstewrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post

So, stay away from State Farm. Period.
Different folks have had different experiences. I have insured 3 buses with State Farm and am very happy with the rates and the service.

For grins I got a quote a few days ago from Progressive Commercial and it was about 30% higher than State Farm for commercial. With State Farm, once I finish the conversion they will convert it to RV and the rates will drop significantly from what the current commercial insurance cost is.

I would recommend that folks check with multiple carriers, including State Farm, and see who will & who won't sell you the coverage that you want and who has the best deal.

Just my $0.02
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #23

Im new here and I am just wondering, if you were to get the Progressive Commercial for private use, does that require a CDL License? Thanks.
spence5134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Starcraft
Chassis: E350
Rated Cap: 12 Pas; 1 W/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence5134 View Post
Im new here and I am just wondering, if you were to get the Progressive Commercial for private use, does that require a CDL License? Thanks.
No I did not need a CDL for my shuttle Bus E350, not sure about the bigger buses.

I believe the CDL might be required for over a certain weight, & types of cargo, etc, such as if you have multiple fare paying passengers.
bry899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Hey Spence,

laws vary by state. In most states RV's are exempt from CDL requirements. In Washington a CDL is required for:

Vehicles over 26k GWRV regardless of use (except RV)
Vehicles over 16k GWRV engaged in commercial use.
Vehicles that carry over a certain number of passengers.

Generally, if you title it as an RV you will not need a CDL. Your insurance does not dictate what license you need.

DO KEEP IN MIND that if the the law requires a CDL and you drive without one and have an insurance claim you WILL be in hot water with your insurance company and they COULD deny your claim.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
A CDL isn't needed for your private use bus unless you're using your bus commercially for profit. Your insurance company would have issues with illegal use of a privately owned bus, and I believe that is why insurance has become such an issue of the past several years. These are medium duty trucks basically and easily lend themselves to commercial use activities.

There are always exceptions to every rule. Canada requires an air brake endorsement for US drivers to go through their borders. For us a class "B" license would have that air brake endorsement. A CDL, or class "A" license, is a heavy truck license generally for commercial purposes. I am not aware of special license requirements to enter Mexico, but that's because I haven't been there yet.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #27
Skoolie

Quote:
Best thing to do is talk to a DMV in your state. As others mentioned, it's not the insurance company dictating the CDL, it's the state.
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:17 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutphinins View Post
Best thing to do is talk to a DMV in your state. As others mentioned, it's not the insurance company dictating the CDL, it's the state.
That is absolutely true. Ask a question about CDLs on this site and you're likely to get about 52 slightly varying answers. You'll get a better answer from your DMV.

I think it's actually federal regulations that direct CDL requirements, because you know they are going to want their road taxes. The states can add to that to make things more difficult. The insurance companies also want more money if you're commercially driving. It's also interesting how insurers vary greatly withing the same state with their answers about insuring buses. It's an interesting game.

I can't even guarantee my information is correct if you lived in Oregon. Just what I've experienced.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #29
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: E450 Ferd
Engine: 6.0L Diesel
Rated Cap: 20 window lickin Jeffies
Read this thread:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/in...tml#post196469
Goatherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:43 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird / Microbird
Chassis: Chevy 3500
Engine: Chevy Vortec 6.0 gas
Rated Cap: 30
My cars are insured through Progressive, and they flat out told me they would NOT insure my bus.
Whywalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Mid Bus, Inc Ohio
Chassis: GMC Savanna 3500
Engine: 5.7 Vortec, GMC
Rated Cap: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whywalk View Post
My cars are insured through Progressive, and they flat out told me they would NOT insure my bus.
GEICO was willing to insure mine and at a very reasonable rate. Of course, it's commercial insurance but it's still cheap!
Hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance coverage