Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: introducing REX. seeking suggestion on roof platform

The thing to be concerned about is not the axles but the roof/body of the bus. But people have put a lot more weight than you are suggesting up top and not had any problems. Just be sure the weight rests on the structural beams and not just the sheet metal. Of course handling will be affected to some extent by making the bus more top-heavy, so no racing that involves hard cornering for you!

viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex
...are the support beams between each window? we are envisioning 2X4's screwed into the side of the bus at the beams and the roof structure being constructed off of them, rather than relying on the sheet metal roof for any support.
That strategy has been done many times and so I assume it works. Look in the photo gallery at the "Ragbrai" buses. They all have roof racks and many of them did it how you are proposing. The beams do go up between the windows and continue over the top to form a hoop of sorts like a covered wagon. I think the question before you now is whether or not to have the crossbeams supported in the middle of the roof, or have them elevated so the weight is only on the sides. I don't know the answer to that question, so perhaps others will chime in...
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #3

Year: 19
Coachwork: chevy
Engine: cat c5
Rated Cap: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex
thanks for the tip diesel dan! this is our first bus (first vehicle actually!) so we are very much beginners at this whole process. it is fun and exciting and skoolie.net is such a great resource to be involved in! are the support beams between each window? we are envisioning 2X4's screwed into the side of the bus at the beams and the roof structure being constructed off of them, rather than relying on the sheet metal roof for any support.
I am planning the same sort of idea. but instead of 2x4s i would use something like the expando roof on a vanogon, without the plastic walls. you could put solar panels on top and havve a sitting area underneath and a garden to the back. all you would need for that would be 2 6ft long poles on hinges screwed to the top with cross braces to put the panels on.
Attached Thumbnails
vanagon_model_sm.jpg  
oscarsbigredball is offline   Reply With Quote