Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2021, 03:07 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Question Is a van front gasser a bad idea?

Hey! Ive been scouring the forums for a few months now and this is my first post. Thank you for all the great info on here - its been awesome.

I am extremely drawn to the 5 window 6.0 gas chevy short busses. From what I have read, they start up better in the cold (ski trips are a must) , are easier and cheaper to work on, and they have a pretty good reputation for reliability. And If **** hits the fan, I can throw in another used or rebuilt engine/trans for relatively cheap. I should probably add that I am quite comfortable working on gas engines, but I know nothing about diesels.

Do you think this is the right choice for me? For reference, I am looking at the 2007 - 2011 6.0 chevy's with 115k - 150k miles for about 7500 bucks. If it helps, I live in socal and I am 6'1. Thanks for reading and have a great day.

- Eric

Eric_theferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:59 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Welcome to the site.

You pretty much summed up the reasoning for going ahead with the van/gasser chassis for your project.
I have one and enjoy the ease of maintenance on mine. It also works well in traffic and parking lots.
My only wish with it is I should have looked for a longer version, as 4 windows is fairly tight inside.

There are short diesel versions out there, but with the 2004 and up EPA emissions regs they are more troublesome to own and maintain. Lots of info on the site on that if you look.

Good luck, and post pics if you get one...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:29 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you for your feedback! I will post anything I buy/consider.
Eric_theferret is offline   Reply With Quote