RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-13-2021, 11:01 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I love our shorty and love that it fits into a spot in our yard.

Something like this would be cool, though, and ultimately I think a smaller sized Toterhome would be the ULTIMATE.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:08 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beirdo View Post
In a van (and van cutaways), half or more of the engine is actually right beside the feet and knees of the driver. This is generally known as the "doghouse". The reason I don't like them is that when you try to get engine work done, almost all of it is accessed from inside the vehicle after the center console is removed, not under the hood (or you need to remove the engine entirely, at worst).

This, of course, makes the mechanic bills higher than they would be for the same engine in a pickup truck, basically.

However, I'm willing to deal with it. Hehe.

I haven't worked with newer vans, but old Ford vans, the motor is hard to work on. Chevys are in the middle. Dodge is relatively easy. But none are as easy as having a hood, not a doghouse.

With my BlueBird, working under the doghouse is no problem at all. If it's raining outside, I don't care. I still can work on it. There is stuff that is still a pain, though: air compressor and power steering especially. Anything on the front of the motor is accessed from outside after removing the radiator. That is time, but not hard work.

As a short guy, I like the doghouse because I don't need a ladder, and I don't need to lean way out over the motor which stresses out my lower back.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:38 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Bantam
Engine: International T444
Rated Cap: 16?
There are a lot of jobs easier with a doghouse, ford modular engine spark plugs and 7.3 turbo’s for instance in fact the 6.0 powerstroke cylinder heads cant come out of the f series trucks as easily as the vans.
ISAF2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:04 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISAF2009 View Post
There are a lot of jobs easier with a doghouse, ford modular engine spark plugs and 7.3 turboís for instance in fact the 6.0 powerstroke cylinder heads cant come out of the f series trucks as easily as the vans.
interesting...

I know my bro said he paid $600 to a shop to change his spark plugs in his Ford pickup. They had to remove the fender, and I think? unmount one side of the motor and jack it up an inch or something. He was happy to pay $600 and not do it himself he said.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:50 PM   #25
Skoolie

Ive never had to do that but I've got lots of fancy access tools.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:07 PM   #26
Skoolie

The reason I chose a bus is because the only way to get a diesel class c is convert a short bus.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:32 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Different strokes for different folks. No need to hate on other's interests.

I like the idea of 15 liters and real class 8 running gear. And the ability to tow virtually anything.

Practicality means nothing when it comes to large diesel toys.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:44 PM   #28
Skoolie

Except when you are belching real class 8 pollution into the environment and spending real class 8 money on fuel for no discernible reason. Like those guys that put a 6”lift and 35” tires on a 2 wheel drive truck. Toter home are great for people who use that chassis for work and want a comfortable place to sleep. IMO seems pretty irresponsible to pleasure cruise in one.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:48 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISAF2009 View Post
Except when you are belching real class 8 pollution into the environment and spending real class 8 money on fuel for no discernible reason. Like those guys that put a 6Ēlift and 35Ē tires on a 2 wheel drive truck. Toter home are great for people who use that chassis for work and want a comfortable place to sleep. IMO seems pretty irresponsible to pleasure cruise in one.
Skoolies are just medium duty "toters" for many people.

God I'm really wondering why no matter how pleasant the conversation everyone here seem to want to turn it into some argument.
If not causing diesel pollution is the concern just shut down this forum now.

Maybe some of us don't want to pussyfoot around with weak underpowered machines.... why didn't you include coaches in your condemnation?
They have the same engines as OTR trucks.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:16 PM   #30
Skoolie

I’ll consider adding coaches to my condemnation but there is a lengthy approval process and of course I have to convene a meeting of the board to vote on it. Look I just think that it is stupid for people to putt around the highways with other defenseless motorists in a vehicle that is larger than they need. I think its stupid, I don’t think it should be against the law or that only bad people do it. You posted a picture of something stupid, I affirmed that yes it was indeed stupid, you expressed discontent at my assessment, lets move on.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:43 PM   #31
Skoolie

Iím not raging, nor would I mind if you thought something I liked was stupid. I definitely think that deuce and a halfs on public highways are stupid because I have driven them. Why do you care what I think? I don't care what you think. Like I said I disapprove of any vehicle larger than needed that includes a variety of different vehicles including many SUVís but I donít get to decide what other people feel they need thank god. I donít use my 458 Lott for small game but if I could only carry one gun and there were dinosaurs around I would consider carrying it. I think driving a toterhome that you donít need 1 mile a year is stupid. I like giant drivetrains as much as the next guy but I don't think more of them need to be going down the roads than necessary. Fortunately you donít need my permission.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:10 PM   #32
Bus Geek

For MPG's bobtails seem to to as well as skoolies, often better.

https://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...tached.222394/

Stick a 16" camper body on the back and I doubt those mpg's suffer much. So thinking about it- I could have a class 8 camper that does more mpg's has million mile capability mechanically, and has no shortage of gears, hp, or torque.
To me that doesn't sound any more stupid than converting a retired bus with medium duty components halfway beat to death. These aren't things people do for any practical reasons. Its just fun and different.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:17 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Now that the perfect vehicle for all occasions is available here in Ca. I simply don't see why anyone would want an old school bus.
Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:20 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Now that the perfect vehicle for all occasions is available here in Ca. I simply don't see why anyone would want an old school bus.
Jack

Looks like a genuine low emissions vehicle, Jack!
Old 01-13-2021, 04:53 PM   #35
Skoolie

Lol where can I preorder one
Old 01-13-2021, 05:33 PM   #36
Bus Nut

I just bought this...former wrecker tow truck. Short wheelbase F550 $800
Dreaded 6.0 diesel is done blown up after 300,000 miles and no longer legal in CA as a commercial vehicle. Throw a cabover camper on it, a gas engine, and for a couple thousand you've got a highly capable motorhome that fits in a parking stall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f550.jpg (30.1 KB, 6 views)
BeNimble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:23 PM   #37
Site Team

Folks several posts have been removed from this thread after significant thread drift and some downright unhelpful comments. Please stay on topic and BE kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Skoolies are just medium duty "toters" for many people.

God I'm really wondering why no matter how pleasant the conversation everyone here seem to want to turn it into some argument.
An argument requires more than one person to participate.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:20 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess View Post
Hey, Ravenna!

By golly, you are the second Northern-Californian-who-thinks-she-wants-to-be-a-bus-owner I encounter this evening. Was there a super-spreader event for Bus Disease around here somewhere?

I am familiar with the concept of a sudden brilliant idea or infatuation. I had one in my left foot a few minutes ago, which is why I am up at this !#$%^&*-Trumpian hour.
Take a couple deep breaths, and tell SchrÝdinger's cat to scratch your belly for a change.

The first place this idea can come to a whimpering halt is in your driveway.
One simply cannot own an item one does not have room for.
And remember, you already have two Toyotas, a pile of bicycles, and a cord of firewood in said driveway. Remember the movie Jaws? Ya may need a bigger boat.

Next, go out in that driveway – while it is empty, somehow. Bring with you... your beds, half your kitchen, some bathroom fixtures, a sofa, a dinette, and your Genooine Hobart Brown Kinetic Sculpture Racing Kontraption. Don't forget the toothbrushes and life jackets, and the teddy bear in a tutu.
Ignore the puzzled looks from your neighbors.

A bus is no more than seven feet wide inside. Draw that with chalk on the above-mentioned driveway. Arrange everything the way you would go camping in that bus – those road trips. Now, double it. Does it all fit? Is there room for you also? Can those kiddos play soccer in there? Ya gonna need a bigger bus.

Perhaps we will tackle existentialism and metaphysics in our spare time. You know... is short better?, the aforementioned cat of philosophical bent, engines and axles, and that sort'a random trivia quiz stuff.

Read this a couple more times, enjoy a good night's sleep, and try to mount a defense in the morning.
Oh my god. I'm literally dying! Thank you for making my night!
Ravenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:43 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Well, I saved a life a few years ago, so your passing -- even if untimely -- will put the Word back in Balance.

Besides your courage in the face of Death By Silliness... you are brave to come back to this thread after the poop-storm of... hmm... debate... which occurred here since your last visit.

Luckily, we know whose fault that is, and his initials are Doofus J. Turd -- if my High French may be excused this once. We will all be calmer in another week.

Now, if you will please temporarily take a back seat in that still-imaginary little bus....
I am in the middle of explaining to an American what marzipan is, and this may take a while.
By the way, when you arrive in Heaven, you will find the streets paved with the stuff.

Or at least, I will.
Oooop.... Wrong destination. I wonder if marzipan burns?
Old 01-14-2021, 01:28 AM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Elliot always make sense.....to me anyway. He and another guy on here helped me formulate my plan (just reading. I donít know them).

Elliot has a bus that can haul 90 bicycles. I talked my wife into this by saying she could have and old tub just like she has at home. She later said she could do without it, but I took it as a challenge and got it in the bus last week!

Enjoy the process.

Planning....Building....Traveling

Peace
Oh, I love the idea of a tub! Probably not in the cards for a while though! Lucky wife!
Ravenna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
short bus benefits