Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Is this bus a good bet?

It sounds a little pricey for the year, unless there's something really special about it, like unusually low mileage. It is true, however, that short buses generally cost more than full-size ones.
I think you're definitely on the right track looking at buses being sold by your state school system, for the reasons you mentioned.
I wouldn't worry about whether or not a bus has a lift. If you find a bus you like, you can always remove the lift. Maybe you could even think of a cool way to use the side door. Also, lift-equipped buses have fewer seats to remove.
In general, try to keep in mind that this is a whole lot more like buying a toaster than getting married. Keep shopping around until you find exactly what you want at a good price. Don't sweat it if you miss a good deal or three: there will be others.

zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Skoolie

I wouldn't worry too much if yours comes with a wheelchair lift. While you have it, it makes it really easy to get things in and out of your bus. I can't imagine trying to get the fridge and washer in without it. Then put it up on Craigslist, sold mine for $375. You do need two people to move it though, it's quite heavy and bulky.

One quick tip, if you decide to block the door the lift was using, might want to make sure any appliances you have can fit through another door. I sure hope our fridge and washer last a long time.
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Make it a point to go to the lots & drive the busses... this will help educate you & let you physically compare busses (if this is possible without too much travel)... My 2c...
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:03 AM   #4

I would take a very close look at any bus with the 7.3 diesel. These are great durable engines, but they have one issue. They had a cavitation problem in the cylinder coolant walls. Many of these engines lasted forever. I have one in my '92 F250 with 300,000 miles on it. But if you get one that was run under heavy load for lots of highway miles, the cavitation problem may show up. The results can be cracked or pitted cylinder walls. Replacing this engine with a long block can run you the cost of the bus.

Good engines, but get a good diesel mechanic to take a look before you buy it.
Agman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

It seems like alot of money considering it has 230k on it and the 7.3 rather than a DT360/466. Keep looking, you should be able to find something similar in the 1500-2000 range. There is little to no export market for the 7.3 engines which keeps their prices lower, they all want straight 6 engines. Check out ebay too, theres a guy in NH that always has decent deals on used busses that he posts there.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

I agree with kamoo that the price is too high for this bus...
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

I would agree short busses on full size chassis are a little tough to find without a wheelchair lift. Every region of the country is different but it seems that in Florida they are plentiful and generally unwanted which keeps the prices low. The one link is a Thomas Vista which are very hard to work on and have alot of complaints concerning build quality and heat while driving. Personally, I always liked the Vista and was going to buy one but if you do some digging you will see what Im talking about, so I went another route. The first auction I went to had a bunch of shorter TC2000s all with A/C and wheelchair lifts, one guy bought them all and was reselling them for about 3k each which I thought was too much.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantone
Ok - here is the info on this bus so far. They said we could 'talk' about the price.
The date of manufacture is 07/93.
Rim size: 20 x 6.5
Tire size: 20 x 8.25
The GVWR (Gross Weight) = 23,500
Bluebird – Color: Blue
Capacity = 47 children
Body L0011257
Engine Size 7.3
Allison Transmission
Mileage: 230,440
I do not know the gear ratio, but they said they drive it on the highway everyday (a tour company is selling it) with no problems.
So- I'm trying to weigh the info now- still leaning on finding one in my state. Seems cheaper; price and getting it home would cost a lot less. Maybe I'd save enough to be able to paint it. So.....thank you all for your thoughts on my dream; I'll keep you posted!If any of you are interested in this bus, I'll give you the info....
First, a (body) build date of July 1993 might actually be a 1994 model year. You might well have a 1994 body on a 1993 chassis here...no biggie, but something you need to know about to order parts.

47-pax is an 8-row bus, about 3/4 the size of a normal skoolie unless it's a wheelchair bus. (Is it?)

That's a LOT of miles for a 7.3 IDI unless the service records are there (unless it's a re-man engine)...ditto for the trans, unless it's been overhauled.

I'm in New England...where, exactly is this bus? Shoot me a PM please, if you don't want to post it on the board. I might be able to give it a look-over if you want me to.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
Skoolie

http://www.kerlinbus.com/buslist.asp?show=used

1995 Int./Thomas 7 window, 444E, 160000mi. 4 grand.

1996 Int.Thomas 5 window, 444E, 75000mi. 6grand

1995Int./Wayne 7 window, 444E, 81000mi. 4grand
Train-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Sturdibus
Chassis: GMC 3500
Engine: 5.7L V8
Rated Cap: 12

I paid $1500.00 for my '92 GMC but the body is a little fuzzy in spots. The only reason I was willing to buy it and quit looking was it had a newer crate engine and rebuilt tranny so I knew the drivetrain was ok. It's real tough to tell what kind of shape the actual floor is in underneath all that rubber and plywood.
The 7.3 is a decent diesel but the DT466's are better if you can find one. The GM 6.2L / 6.5L or good too....a little less power but reliable. 200,000+ miles shouldn't be a huge issue on a good diesel with regular maintenance.
Keep looking....you'll find something better and cheaper than $4,900.00.
cnitrofumes is offline   Reply With Quote