Old 05-28-2020, 05:58 PM   #1

Just put a deposit on a short bus. Looked for dimensions online and cant find any?

I am going to be buying a 2000 gmc bluebird diesel 14 passenger school bus and cant find any of the dimensions online yet. Dealer cant tell me because they haven't gotten the bus delivered yet. Anybody on here give me an idea of the size of this thing? Thanks in advance!
Jmills90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:09 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
It would help if we knew if this is a cutaway van style, or a larger 2+ ton chassis, and how many windows.

Most Ford and GM cutaways will be about 18-28, maybe 30 feet long, as GM cutaways are built on the P-series / Workhorse chassis, and Ford cutaways are likely on the F-53 chassis, of similar length variances.

A ballpark estimate would be to allow about 8-10 feet for the cab and nose, and most bus bodies will probably be about 26-28 inches per regular-length window, perhaps 36 inches for a longer-length window.

Another thing to consider is that passenger capacity is generally calculated at 3 per seat, or 6 per row (based on children). So 14 / 6 means two full size rows, plus a single row of smaller one-passenger seats. But if it has a wheelchair lift, that takes space and potentially adds length.

Sorry I can't be more exact than that... Hope that helps.

Former owner - 1989 Ford B700 64-pass Blue Bird (Rest In Peace, Cheese Wagon)
CHEESE_WAGON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:43 PM   #3

Thanks, that's more information than I had. Do you happen to know the average height of short buses? Trying to figure out if it will fit in my garage or if we are going to have to do the conversion outside. I dont believe it is a cutaway, if by that you mean a shuttle bus. I haven't even seen pictures of it yet. I just know it is a reputable dealer so I went ahead and put a deposit on it that is refundable if I choose not to buy. Have been excited to start a conversion and have been looking for a "shorty" for a while, saw a great deal and jumped on it. Thanks again!
Jmills90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
What is that, 5 windows? My 5 window Thomas is 7.5’ x 14’ behind the driver seat
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:30 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmills90 View Post
Thanks, that's more information than I had. Do you happen to know the average height of short buses? Trying to figure out if it will fit in my garage or if we are going to have to do the conversion outside. I dont believe it is a cutaway, if by that you mean a shuttle bus. I haven't even seen pictures of it yet. I just know it is a reputable dealer so I went ahead and put a deposit on it that is refundable if I choose not to buy. Have been excited to start a conversion and have been looking for a "shorty" for a while, saw a great deal and jumped on it. Thanks again!
Depends on the chassis and body builder. A big 2+ ton usually stands about 10'0" from the top of the roof curvature to the ground. High-ceiling models will probably be about 10"6'. A smaller cutaway based on a van would probably be about 9'0" - 9'6", something like that.

My previous Blue Bird B700 was 10'0" and 35 feet long, but it was a 64-passenger dognose.

You'd have to measure the exact bus to be sure, there are different coachwork manufacturers that all do things differently. Also, some smaller ones may sit on 19.5-inch wheels and tires versus the typical 16-17". Larger ones use 22.5 or 24-inch wheels, which usually have about a 34-36" overall tire height.

All I can say, when inches count, measure twice, thrice.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
If it is a bus and not a glorified soccer mom van painted up like a school bus it will be no less than 9' tall and no more than 13.5' tall--neither would fit in a "standard" residential garage without excavating the floor or raising the roof. City said I couldn't go up so I went down. Now the bus slips right in.
Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:28 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Can't seem to get this pic to edit into my previous post. So here we go again.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:44 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

I can only imagine the drain on the ol' bank account getting that one that nice...

Old 05-28-2020, 09:04 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Soccer Mom Van. Harshin my buzz Jack
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:05 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

That is hardly a soccer mom van. Though I could show you some Ram Promaster and Ford Transit based models if you like.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:36 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Mine is an IH/Bluebird bus, "6 window" 14 passenger capacity bus. Not all my windows are the same 24"-ish size, one is closer to 30". It has 6 "narrow" seats (presumably 2 passengers each) and 2 wheelchair spots. The reason for the narrow seats was to create enough aisle width for one wheelchair toward the front (the other was in the back).
Brad_SwiftFur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #12
Bus Geek

CW, thanks. It probably cost a little more than the average Skoolie if you count all the welding burn ointment and visits to ER to get stitched up.

Danjo, if you are talking about this type school bus, well, we've all got to come down sometime. Ha!
Jack