Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2021, 05:13 PM   #1

Looking for Direction!

Hey folks,

I am looking at purchasing a bus for my to be mobile business currently. I originally thought I wanted a shuttle bus, then a short bus, then back and forth based on others opinions. I am gutting whatever I get, more looking for something mechanically sound than anything. Does any one have pros and cons of either a shuttle or mini bus? I like the characteristics of the mini buses, but like the wheelchair option door at the back of most shuttles I see ( will be taken out, but a nice in and out walkway thru the store)

Any preferences on Ford vs Chevy/GMC? Any preferences on years? red flags?
I am over all just confused, and dont want to jump on a purchase. A full size bus is not an option right now because of storage, so would like to stick with mini bus/shuttle bus sizes.

TYIA

coastalrootsgreenery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:05 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrootsgreenery View Post
Hey folks,

I am looking at purchasing a bus for my to be mobile business currently. I originally thought I wanted a shuttle bus, then a short bus, then back and forth based on others opinions. I am gutting whatever I get, more looking for something mechanically sound than anything. Does any one have pros and cons of either a shuttle or mini bus? I like the characteristics of the mini buses, but like the wheelchair option door at the back of most shuttles I see ( will be taken out, but a nice in and out walkway thru the store)

Any preferences on Ford vs Chevy/GMC? Any preferences on years? red flags?
I am over all just confused, and dont want to jump on a purchase. A full size bus is not an option right now because of storage, so would like to stick with mini bus/shuttle bus sizes.

TYIA
Search for "Skoolie Ten Commandments". Good rules to follow to keep you out of trouble, especially in uncharted territories.

The key difference between any kind of bus and a school bus is the school bus has all sorts of safety electronics that can be problematic if you remove/disconnect something that will cause the bus not to start.

The other thing is larger buses have larger everything, tires, brakes, towing bills, etc. The size you buy really depends on your needs.

Any vehicle basically breaks down into:
Engine type - diesel / gasoline. Most people try an stay away from engines with emission controls, so 2003ish and earlier.

Transmissions - Honestly, I only hear of Allison, but there are others I'm sure. They break down generally into manual shift (older), automatic mechanical and automatic computer controlled.

Body Builder - Bluebird, IC, Thomas are the big three school buses. Ford, GMC, Chevrolet are smaller school bus manufacturers.

Rust - Rust is not good and many times not visible. Learn how and where to check for rust on a vehicle, especially if the bus spent any time in rust belt states.

Mechanical Inspection - ALWAYS get it inspected thoroughly, especially if you don't know what you're looking for. It's well worth the money.

Drive it - If it's not running or drivable, the price goes way down. It should be able to cruise at 60mph at 2000rpm or better, shift smoothly, stop smoothly with no pull right or left, pull grades well, turn with no clunks and not wobble at higher speeds.

Tires are expensive, especially full size bus tires, and even more so because there are 6 of them. Learn to check the manufacture year to determine how old they are, inspect them for cracking on the sidewalls, tread depth.

Once you found a bus you're interested in, find out exactly what engine and transmission in it, research it, ask questions on here after researching it, etc. before you buy.

Buy on condition of it passing inspection to your satisfaction.

If all that looks good, no matter the make/model/etc., you probably can't go too wrong.

I'm sure I forgot something, but that's the basics.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:23 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
You need to fill out your profile so we may better assist you. What kind of business will you be doing in it?