Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2018, 11:55 PM   #1

looking for first shortie!!

Hey! I am hoping to convert my first skoolie with my bf. We want to convert it into the ultimate adventure mobile for camping, climbing, and more. Hoping it can handle dirt washed roads but hope on the freeway when needed.

From what we've researched on here, this one....
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...749692458.html
seems like the perfect model.

Curious what you guys think about this ad. Seems too high - they said it has 320,000 miles but runs well. Is it worth getting so high? I would definitely negotiate. I know it could have another 100-200k, but don't want to fork out a ton of money on maintenance from the get-go.

Otherwise any thoughts on what we should be looking for!?

Finally curious what you guys think of this one https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...742518862.html

Thanks for all of the help. So stoked to join this community and find the perfect bus.

anaventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:34 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet Express 3500
Engine: Duramax
I would pass on both of those. Even if the newer one had lower mileage, the interior height is limited. I'd suggest a Collins body for this reason.

422 Auction Services - Mathies & Sons, Inc.

There are some ending later this month at that listing. I got one from the same seller not too long ago and even upgrading to a tilt column with cruise and replacing the batteries, I'll have less in it than the first listing you shared.
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:30 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I would pass on both of those as well, no question.

The first one is expensive, and very high mileage.
I wouldn't consider over 200,000 miles.

Second one is just old and overpriced (plus it needs work. . . )
I'd also want confirmation on the mileage. For the age, mileage that low raises questions. . . . .

That style of bus will be fine, just not one of those two.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:28 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
seems if you asre planning to go off road alot you may wantto holds out and see if you can find a quigley-conversion (4 wheel drive).. something with the 7.3 Diesel.. something like that is worth paying a little more..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
I would pass on both of those as well, no question.

The first one is expensive, and very high mileage.
I wouldn't consider over 200,000 miles.

Second one is just old and overpriced (plus it needs work. . . )
I'd also want confirmation on the mileage. For the age, mileage that low raises questions. . . . .

That style of bus will be fine, just not one of those two.
Okay, thank you for your input. We also felt the mileage was too high, but it's nice to hear from someone else.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdconfsd View Post
I would pass on both of those. Even if the newer one had lower mileage, the interior height is limited. I'd suggest a Collins body for this reason.

422 Auction Services - Mathies & Sons, Inc.

There are some ending later this month at that listing. I got one from the same seller not too long ago and even upgrading to a tilt column with cruise and replacing the batteries, I'll have less in it than the first listing you shared.
Thank you for sharing that listing! What particular make and model do you have experience with a collins body?
Old 12-10-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet Express 3500
Engine: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaventures View Post
Thank you for sharing that listing! What particular make and model do you have experience with a collins body?
I currently have a 2006 Chevrolet Express 3500 Duramax with a 5 window Collins from that seller. Earlier this year I had a 2003 Chevy Express 3500 6L gas motor with a 6 window Collins body. Both are very similar and the ceiling height is nice on both of them. I am also a fan of how most of the interior panels are held in with screws making removing them much less effort.
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote