Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Engine: Gasoline
Lots of leaks when it rains

The heavy rain over the past two days gave me a chance to see how my baby does in the rain - NOT GOOD. There are at least 5 rivets where rain comes through. I traced some of it - it looks like it runs between the seam of the side sheeting. Do I just silcone those gaps? Any specific product that won't detract from appearance? should I cover it with a tarp when I have it parked for long periods of time? anyone make custom tarps? Thanks for any and all help.

T

Atridox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48
Re: Lots of leaks when it rains

Some of the best stuff that I have found for sealing leaks is made my a company called ProForm. It is called Dum Dum. I am not even joking, it is the best stuff ever. It comes in strips and is similar to plasticine. You just press it into place and form it with your fingers. It stays flexible and sticky and even works when the surfaces are already wet. You can also paint right over it, no need to wait for it to dry, because it doesn't! It is technically a form of butyl rubber caulking, but I like the name Dum Dum better. Heres a LINK.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Lots of leaks when it rains

Please don't use silicone. I patched my leaky rivets with http://www.snowroof.com/catalog.asp Elasto seal & their patching fabric. But first I had to scrape lots of old silicone off the roof (I'm having to remove silicone off several seams since they were apparently unsure as to which seam was leaking). I used the Snow Roof system on our old Class C. It's wonderful and drops the temps greatly. Makes the roof quieter in the rain as well. Silicone doesn't seal too well to dirty metal but it sure is a pain to remove (using a razor blade and solvents).
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote