Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus
Clean... yeah. That took some doing. And it did NOT happen all at once. We've cleaned the interior more times than I can count, to include blowing out w/ compressed air, vacuuming, scrubbing, power washing... and I kid you not... we STILL find bits of insulation or pockets of crud just about every time we're in there. Like you said - years upon years of nastiness. It seems like every time we'd clean, a fraction of the mess would just relocate to a different spot.
Our exterior wasn't really dirt. The big pain there were all the stickers / silicone / glue.
We purchased a power washer specifically for the bus build, and it's been a Godsend. Definitely one of the most useful tools we've bought thus far.
The gap is one thing we cleaned by hand (covered w/ towels or plastic while washing). Just elbow grease. I didn't use any cleaners because I didn't want to get moisture in somewhere I couldn't easily get it out. Compressed air helped also. Make sure to wear a mask, that stray fiberglass is a nightmare. It's still not what I'd consider clean-clean, but clean enough to fill w/ insulation which is what we'll be doing.
We didn't have any glue, but if we did, I'd probably see if it came up easy w/ a wire wheel since we were using that to prep the floor anyway. On the exterior we did the solvent shuffle on the sticky stuff.
Another very useful tool that's served multiple purposes has been a heat gun. That might help w/ the glue??
SO helpful, thankyou!!! I feel encouraged, knowing there isnt something wrong with us, or with our bus, it just takes time and multiple cleanings.
We hit the glue covered floor with a power washer (brilliant piece of equipment!), 6 hours, one inch strip after one inch strip, slow and steady. The depth of the glue was significantly reduced, but will still have to sand or wire wheel. They all just seem to smear the glue around, so it will be multiple phases, including the use of more yicky solvents.
The front of the bus is the nastiest bit, but successfully got the entire heater out and all those metal covers over gaps and transmission hole. We just scrubbed and wiped by hand for hours. And those gaps, we'll take a wet/dry vac to them, and, like you, our hands. There are actually slits at the bottom of a number of them, so some water drains, but do not want to leave sitting water, thats for sure.
Before we begin build out, when I think I cant get it any cleaner, we'll also set off some chlorine dioxide bombs.
And yes! We've been wearing full face respirators for 12 straight days - mold and toxic chemicals and who knows what living microbial critters in all that crud - no way!