Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2019, 02:27 AM   #61
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerob643 View Post
We ended up making our door one piece! I will try to get a photo of it for you soon. SO much better to prevent draining our battery and locking the bus for safety.
Yeah I'm about to make the door on mine a one piece as well. Unlike most buses I've seen the metal isn't as wide on my front door so there is no other good way to make it really lock where I can use a key on the outside, I've just been using a slide lock on the inside of it with a rigged way of jimmying it from the bottom of the step well to open from outside. Done with that and want a better seal for winter.
Hearing the complaints about engine noise makes me so glad the engine is in the rear, can hardly hear it up front.
I've got the 7.3 PSD in a pickup truck as well, no exhaust just first section of down pipe and can't hardly talk to anyone or on the phone while cruising on the interstate especially when the turbo has spooled up.

If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:08 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Ceiling Installed

Finally! A project that makes the bus begin to look like something.
5/16" Pine T&G under the 2" Sprayfoam
Prefinished with Daly's Profin Satin
Screwed to the Hat Channels with SS oval head sheet metal screws (predrilled)
I was really worried if the front would be challenging where the ceiling dips down but the thin pine took the bends until it wrapped around the sides. A bit of trimming on a board or two took care of that.
Attached Thumbnails
20191025_123214[1].jpg   20191101_125612[1].jpg   20191101_200644[1].jpg   20191107_120309[1].jpg   20191107_120527[1].jpg  

peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:33 PM   #63
Bus Nut

That's looking great! I love the look of wood strips on the ceiling, it makes it so much more warm, emotionally speaking
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:10 AM   #64
Bus Nut

Well, it's time to put this thread to bed. Up until December I was working hard on this sweetie and it was starting to get to the fun part. Then, on a whim, I bid on a 2003 E450 Microbird. The plan was a quick flip to help pay for work on the Vista. The problem was, upon driving home 1000 miles, I found the new bus immensely quieter and smoother riding. And then there is the nearly new Jasper rebuilt engine and newish tires. Now many of you will say "I told you so" about the Vista and you did, but that doesn't temper love and determination. That said, I put a lot of energy into trying to quiet the Vista, to no avail. I was ready to sign on to a tranny swap, but after watching Rolesville's hard work, I know I wasn't worthy. The Vista has moved on to a new owner who wants to make a mobile recording studio. I have moved on to the above mentioned Microbird. Not as commanding a vehicle, but at least my wife and I can have a conversation while driving. I don't regret the project- I learned a lot. All my interior build out plans have transferred into the new bus and are under way. Check out Rosa Bus in a thread coming soon.
That's it for the Other One.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:46 AM   #65
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Well dang! Post the link to the new build thread here when you start it.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:31 AM   #66
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
Well, it's time to put this thread to bed. Up until December I was working hard on this sweetie and it was starting to get to the fun part. Then, on a whim, I bid on a 2003 E450 Microbird. The plan was a quick flip to help pay for work on the Vista. The problem was, upon driving home 1000 miles, I found the new bus immensely quieter and smoother riding. And then there is the nearly new Jasper rebuilt engine and newish tires. Now many of you will say "I told you so" about the Vista and you did, but that doesn't temper love and determination. That said, I put a lot of energy into trying to quiet the Vista, to no avail. I was ready to sign on to a tranny swap, but after watching Rolesville's hard work, I know I wasn't worthy. The Vista has moved on to a new owner who wants to make a mobile recording studio. I have moved on to the above mentioned Microbird. Not as commanding a vehicle, but at least my wife and I can have a conversation while driving. I don't regret the project- I learned a lot. All my interior build out plans have transferred into the new bus and are under way. Check out Rosa Bus in a thread coming soon.
That's it for the Other One.
Wow mate... I am sad.

I had been so busy on the transmission swap when I signed on to the forums I hadn't really done much else in the way of reading. I have only really been in the IH drivetrain sub forum all this time

I have to say that swapping the transmissions was the key to reducing the engine noise. cruising at 1800 - 2000 vs 2500 mxed out with the AT545

I plan to do a similar dog house covering as yours.. nice work

So sorry

dave
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:33 AM   #67
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
I also cannot help but laugh aloud at the fact your thread had a lot to do with the engine noise and how loud it is

and then this "The Vista has moved on to a new owner who wants to make a mobile recording studio. "

Obviously he will not be driving as he records but still a laugh
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolesvilleMarina View Post
I also cannot help but laugh aloud at the fact your thread had a lot to do with the engine noise and how loud it is

and then this "The Vista has moved on to a new owner who wants to make a mobile recording studio. "

Obviously he will not be driving as he records but still a laugh
Yes, the irony was not lost on me either. Hope he's not recording while driving. As I said, my intention all along was to do a transmission swap and I'm excited that it has worked wonders for you! I don't have that kind of mechanical ability and while I was trying to psych myself up, I know it would not have been as smooth sailing as your experience. That, and a number of other issues that required attention and money made this new bus too attractive. I likely won't get the stares and smiles that the Vista gathered, but I may be on the road sooner if we all get out of Corona lockdown. I'm a sailor as well but traded boat for bus projects for the time being. Enjoy your bus and happy sailing. . .. ... ..... ... ........ _/)
Old 11-27-2020, 11:51 AM   #69
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: WARD / AMTRAN
Chassis: INTERNATIONAL
Engine: DIESEL
Rated Cap: 74
What lock mechanism did you use?
TXDRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:28 PM   #70
Bus Nut

I used a sturdy storm door handle with built in deadbolt. It took a good bit of online searching to find one that seemed well-made and secure. Unfortunately I don't remember the name. I used the original hinge on the front half of the door and it seemed to support the extra weight just fine.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:34 PM   #71

What trans did you put into your Vista?
1mustbeCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 08:22 PM   #72
Bus Nut

It had a 545. I didn't swap it. Ended up selling when I found a newer bus for a great deal. The new owner is still driving it with the 545.