Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2011, 02:38 AM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: ElDorado
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: 7.4 liter 454 Chevy
Rated Cap: 24
Re: Mildred (The Third)

I hope he is better.
The vehicles are all paid for; I save up or when one of my "projects" is finished almost always some one starts to show interest and after a while at a point waves too much money and I give in and sell it.
Maybe that is why the wife puts up with my "hobby"?
The Dodge Omni 1990 is cherry 35,000 original miles and gets killer mileage; again I am getting people sniffing around that car and talking money.
I get allot of my vehicle from gov auctions.
The Omni I got from the city for? Yep.. $375.00 NO rust.
The two 2003 Bmw bikes both cost me ? Yep $1900.00. One has no title and was sold for parts; reason was after the PD rebuilt the bike 53K only on it and new looking with all the "new" parts. They discovered the frame they installed had no VIN and I was told they didn't want to try and get a number for it so they sold it for parts. Your tax dollars at work. I am just waiting for when they go on sale again and another "parts" bike(s) are there with title and I'll grab it for the title.
The 1996 4.3 V-6 Vortec Engine with Auto 4L60E Trans s10 truck with tow package propane powered and bought for $800.00 40k miles on it. With propane that means it is like new.
I have a friend on a "fixed" income and I have shown him what I do. &&^%$% guy is now making good money and all I got was a beer; just kidding.
ALLOT of items and even buses are sold cheap at auctions.
I went to military auctions of surplus items and got a killer compressor $200.00 and STAINLESS steel HUGE freezers for the sheet metal to skin the bus windows for $150.00, even welders.

Bullwhacker007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:45 AM   #22
Skoolie

Oh I also forgot.
I also looked at getting Frig/Freezers at these "military auctions for just the sheet metal to skin your bus windows and other sheet metal needs. It isn't too thin or too thick to work with and allot cheaper than buying it from a steel House.I got a quote for one sheet at 20 gauge 37"x96" for 300.00 and I needed three of them. So 150.00 for the freezers and a 100.00 for the air cutter and air riveter I still came out way ahead.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

that is too high for 20 ga steel. The cheapest place i have found 18 ga (which i prefer over 20 ga) is at the scrap yard. A 4x8 or 4x10 or approximate costs me $50. Most large metal recycling places will have either full sheets, that have a dent or corner bent,a bit rusty or something, or ones with part of it cut off. I have bought steel from the scrapyard in kansas city, l.a., and in oregon, so i know its out there. I just recently bought 8 26 ga 4x10 sheets for $93, for another project.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #24
Skoolie

Your lucky.
I am stuck on an island called Hawaii and EVERYTHING here priced at unbelievable prices.
I know some think I am "stuck" in Hawaii paradise. It is really okay to visit and live way beyond your means for a couple of weeks; BUT to live here very very expensive.
This is one reason I am doing a bus conversion and considering "living" in it until retirement. I will have a serious chunk of change in the bank when I do.
As for the wife? She's not too keen on living in a bus despite making it very nice; that bridge I'll deal with when I come to it.
My sister in Texas has a mortgage at 600.00 a month on a NEW two story house and garage with HUGE lot and she bought it at $100K; here houses start at $300,000 and go up..
Here I have to rent because I am told I have to earn 3-4 times the mortgage just to qualify for a house; so I pay about $2,000.00 per month for rent and utilities which covers my landlords mortgage.
I have to generate a minimum of $4-5K per month in income before all these very high taxes just to live.
Just buying food; one full shopping cart is around $400-500.00.
Gas for one month just commuting to my job is $300.00.
When I retire all you will see is a blue flame from me heading for the mainland.