Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2019, 07:27 PM   #1

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Starcraft Ford E-450
Chassis: Ford E-450 Gas Shuttle Bus
Engine: V10 Ford E-450
Rated Cap: 19
Minimal Height Floor Options?

I’ve read a ton of threads on flooring. Honestly, the only reason I want to even touch the floors is for esthetics. It seems incredibly solid and in good shape. I’m reading to put down insulation and plywood prior to the flooring itself. All of this, when don right, appears to add a few inches to the base of the floor. I have 75” ceilings at the highest point, only 66” on the walls— and am 71” tall. I do NOT want to duck, which is the entire reason I went with a bus vs a van. Can I just paint the floor? Can I lay down peel & stick for a cheap, esthetic fix without losing space? I am NOT living in this, more a weekend she-shed on wheels.

RumPirateWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumPirateWI View Post
I’ve read a ton of threads on flooring. Honestly, the only reason I want to even touch the floors is for esthetics. It seems incredibly solid and in good shape. I’m reading to put down insulation and plywood prior to the flooring itself. All of this, when don right, appears to add a few inches to the base of the floor. I have 75” ceilings at the highest point, only 66” on the walls— and am 71” tall. I do NOT want to duck, which is the entire reason I went with a bus vs a van. Can I just paint the floor? Can I lay down peel & stick for a cheap, esthetic fix without losing space? I am NOT living in this, more a weekend she-shed on wheels.
If you're not worried about temperatures or noise, you could just paint the metal floor and be done with it. Peel and stick tiles would eventually show the seams between floor panels, and will probably become unpeel and don't stick tiles before very long.

If your bus is sitting in the sun, though, even if it's not excessively hot out your floor definitely will be. And in winter it would extremely cold.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:43 PM   #3

Thank you. Maybe a deep, deep cleanse and some nice throw rugs, lol.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
The problem with your plan is if you plan on spending considerable time in the bus, adequate insulation is a must. Doesn't do any good to insulate walls and cielings is you leave the floor to suck all your heat through or let the cold in.
I have 1-1/2" insulation, 1/8" vapor barrier. and 5/16" snap together flooring and have a finished cieling height of 76" (6'4").
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:23 PM   #5

I’m not living in this and I’m not doing any insulation anywhere in the bus. It’s just primarily for weekend trips for now. My ceiling height right now is at 75”. Yours is obviously much higher than mine- which is fortunate.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:18 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Maybe it's just cause I'm an aircraft mech, but being able to stand inside my rig is substantially less important than being able to be comfortable in my rig. I'm 6'3", I can't recall my interior height for sure, but it's somewhere near 6' when I walk I duck a we bit, but when I stand I widen my stance and I increase the bend in my knees a we bit. and I can stand up straight. but really I have a stool for at my kitchen counter, I sit when I drive and I sit when I'm just relaxing in the bus.....
The difference in noise reduction, climate control, and overall comfort was more important than being able to stand for the bit of time that I need to stand inside my rig.
But it's your rig and you should make it to suit your needs.

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Eh, try the bare flooring and see what you think. Worse case scenario you need to rethink it. Definitely use carpeting or area rugs or something though.
We've got insulated floors with laminate flooring and they still get cold. We use area rugs throughout. I'm 73" and our finished floor-to-ceiling height is 76", and that's comfortable to me. We could maybe lose another 1/2"-1" and still be comfortable....but I'd rather not.
Most of your walking will probably be down the center, at the high point, so I'd not worry too much about the height at the sides.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:38 PM   #8

Thank you for the responses and input. I like Drew’s idea of trying it bare and see what happens. It’ll be easier to go and add floors than try to undo them after I’ve lost the head room. This is why I put it out there. Cheers & Safe Travels!