Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #1

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 7.3L
Rated Cap: 20
My 92 short bus

I have a 1992 20 passenger short bus with a wheel chair lift. I am going to use this bus for travel and livestock stand for sheep and goat shearing. I have already taken some seats out and moved 4 seats forward. I am building and installing two flod up beds in the bus. At least that way I can insure and plate it as a RV. I also found out that the ENTIRE bus has to painted with "not a speck of yellow on it". So how do you paint clear coated fiberglass? I can't beleive the "only vehicle allowed to be yellow is a bus" is a rule. Anyway enough of my anger towards government. I alos want to replace the 8 way flasher lights with some sort of light that will provide extra outdoor light. Not anything headlight bright, but enough to be able to see in the dark if need be. As for the lift, we will use that for sheep and goat shearing. The animal will be put on the lift about waist high or so and sheared there, this will save my back. So this is what I'm working on and I'm open tio suggestions and advice.

fastnfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #2

Re: My 92 short bus

I'm gonna use an airless sprayer to paint it. I've heard of another guy doing the same thing. I'll get pics up when I can. Currently changing out 8 way lenses. Going with a clear replacement and wiring them together to use for outdoor light.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Wayne/Lifeguard
Engine: 345 c.i. International
Send a message via Yahoo to SkoolieDude

Yeah that was going to be my suggestion regarding the 8 way flashers. On my bus (an 85 wayne/international) after i took of the red and amber light covers i discovered that those lights are literally aircraft landing lights! Brighter then the headlights by far..i love it!

1985 22' Wayne/lifeguard body, IHC chassis, 345ci, 4 speed
1985 Ford Ranger 4x4, 2.3l I-4 turbo diesel, 5 speed
1975 Mercedes 240D, I-4 non turbo diesel, 4 speed
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo, I-5
...And counting...
SkoolieDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #4

I did paint the bus. I had a local paint shop paint over the school name and the end caps. The cost was $330 just for that, so I decided to do the rest myself. I primed the bus with primer from TSC and painted it with tractor paint (Massy gray)(Looks very cool with the dark gray). I'm goning to paint the top white when the weather warms up. As far as the fiberglass hood, I just roughed it up some with sand paper and made sure it was clean and painted it. With the flexing of the mirror attachment points and the grill, some of the paint has chipped. I'm not sure if the can be avoided since I am coating the fiberglass with paint. It has taken alot of paint and primer for the old girl ($5-$6 per can of spraypaint), but it had to be done. According to the Indiana state police, the only thing allowed to be yellow is a "school" bus. The best thing is just not to ask questions because every answer is different and the more you ask the more hoops are provided for you to jump through.

Craig