Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: My Baby

I love 12v DC!

opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Nice to see someone using a permanent magnet alternator vs a regular energy pig automotive alternator.

As you have found out, they run almost forever with no wear parts inside. After many many hours of use, the two bearings are the only moving parts to change.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1960
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 283 cid

Nat - What I like best about this set-up is that if my and/or friend batteries are to low to start there engine I can take it to them and charge there batteries. Before this build I had it all inside a old generator frame. Easily picked up and moved. But it spread out to much to set on the tongue of a trailer. I have used it many times to help others when there systems went down. As I said, I get about 6hr run time on a tank which is a little less than a gallon. So I can afford to run it when needed. I am sure that you could do allot better job than I did, maybe even installing it in/under a bus. Bye for now the old man Richard

P.S. Just a little thought - with the new vehicles a person has to be real careful when jumping/boosting as a little mistake will ruin the computer. This has no computer, just a hot lead and a ground. Mine is key start, but I can start it with the pull rope just as easy. Also I have used it with my inverter to run the AC TV, just revved it a little higher (this puts out AC as well as DC). At the batteries I go through a solenoid switch which shuts off at 14.5 volts. Also did a small welding job with 1/8th rod and battery jumpers.
mrtravelingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Travel,

Is the Ford a Diesel? Just curious.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

M1031 - no just a gas burner 3 something, but it did run good. Just to many dirt roads. Have a nice day and hope to hear from you again. the old man
Old 04-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IHC
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 48

I enjoy reading about your [mis]adventures. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Richard
alwaysFlOoReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Hello everyone - Today I am working on the beaded jewelry I make. In this way I can put a little extra on "Baby" or maybe a good cooked meal. It is something I learned while I worked the Flea Markets. When I have enough I will get back to working on "Baby". Ya-all have a good day the old man

Old 04-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Hi everyone, I wish each one of you a belated happy Easter. I was traveling over the weekend and this afternoon I am back in the bus. Sorry that I was not able to do anything so there is nothing new to tell you-all about. Best wishes to all and bye for now the old man
Old 04-21-2014, 11:22 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Same to you.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 05-05-2014, 10:10 AM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

Hello everyone - I hope and pray each of you are healthy and happy. This morning the sun rose in a very blue sky - wow the solar will be putting out big time. So I started to work with the new router table. It is 2'x4', big enough to do all the routing on. Also last Saturday I was able to buy a drill press. It sure made drilling the holes in the split 2x4's for the table easy and true. When I run out of power is the only time I wish that I was plugged in. I know that this is just a patch of sage brush, But I can crank up the music and beat on the table like I was playing the drums.(wish I knew how) Yes living out here is the best.

new drill press

router table

old router table - if anyone wants it speak up. Will give it away to anyone willing to pay shipping.

Well I got to go. Bye the old man Richard
Old 05-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

Hi - I just got the top rubbed down with the first coat of oil. Time to take a break and post a picture or two.

I had to extend the guide in order to get all the way to the edge. I used clamps to hold the boards and they slipped. Well I will know better next time.(use screws)

It still needs at least 2 more coats of oil. Then I need to make the cut-out for the router. (then fences - guides - - - -)

Thanks to all who took time to read these post. the old man Richard
Old 05-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

Good morning everyone. Today is heavy overcast and strong winds, a day best spent inside. I just wanted to wish each and every Mother/Woman a very happy Mother's Day. May all your wishes come true. the old man - Richard
Old 05-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #53
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Howdy MrTman --- looks like a great start on a butcher block table you have going there. Will it be installed into Baby or elsewhere?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

Hello everyone - First - Tango, you're right in thinking it would make a great butcher block table, only I needed a bench top that was square and flat for the router.
Second - Today I started sealing the top of the bus. It is a coating like "Snow Coat" and will seal the lose rivets. I will put on three coats with the sprayer and between each coat hand brush each seam and all rivets. On the can it says it is good for 20 years. If it will stop the leaks I will be glad to re-coat every three years.

When I came down the ladder I looked down to see this. It took me a few seconds to get my heart started again and see he was no threat. Then I went inside and got the camera.

Now that the wind is starting up again I will work on the inside. I hope everyone is happy and healthy. Good-bye for now - the old man - Richard
Old 05-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #55
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12

No Threat!! Really , man you got brass balls. That ain't no Gardner snake... Love the lines of your bus. Good old American made vehicle you have..
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #56
Bus Geek

Nice pics of the snakes.

Nat

Old 05-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #57
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Looks a lot like a King Snake. If so...be nice to them. Their main diet consists of...guess what...poisonous snakes! Had some big'ens on the farm I had in Tomball, Texas. They are members of the boa constrictor family. You can pick them up...but once they wrap around your arm, they can be mighty hard to put down.

Thanks for the nature break.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #58
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1951
Coachwork: Wayne/ IHC
Chassis: L-163 International
Engine: SD240 / 4 sp.
Rated Cap: 39

Hi, My first post! How is the Traveling Man and My baby doing? Have not heard anything since the fire. I have a '51 Wayne/ IHC and admire the My Baby project. I hope all is well. Tbart.
Tbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #59
Almost There

Year: 97
Coachwork: Me!
Chassis: BB
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 44

"She can hike up her skirts and run about 70mph" Love it!

Looking good "old man", keep it up!
Ponyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #60
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins

Hi there Old Man! I enjoy watching your progress. That is some beautiful country I see in your photos! Where are you at?
mtunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote