Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2015, 03:15 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
We've never come close to filling our grey tank on a long weekend camp out, but we don't use the shower that much and we try to wash as few dishes as possible. When boondocking I either "dribble" (leave the grey valve open all weekend) or drain it on the ground before we leave. Established campgrounds frown on this sort of thing but out in the wild I can't see a problem. It's only dish and shower water after all.

Truth told, I've even drained it in the campgrounds a time or two, but only at a dirt campsite and only way after dark.

That was one of my idea

Since i plan to boondock in BLM and National forest form the southwest and the Rockies, I read on their website that you can dispose your dish water if, for example, you are camping in a tent and don'T have any tank. So, I believe that if my grey tank ( only grey not the black ) it's full, i can let ''dribble'' a little bit of water.

Of course, the use of the shower will be reduce when boondocking so most of the time i will try to find dump station!

bancdeneige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 466dt
Rated Cap: 59
I have a vision of driving down an interstate in the dark and in the pouring rain, happily dumping black and grey tanks.
Zephod_beeblebrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I really hope you're joking. I *think* you are...
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I sure like how that plastic drum tank turned out.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:58 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Hmm... I'm not having a black tank. I'm using a bucket with a lid until I can figure out a cheaper incinolet
Old 02-12-2015, 08:10 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephod_beeblebrox2 View Post
Hmm... I'm not having a black tank. I'm using a bucket with a lid until I can figure out a cheaper incinolet
I currently use a pail.

Incinolet here is $2700.

I have to run a generator to run the incinolet, I just toss the content of the pail into my coal stove for incineration.

Grocery bag with four hand fulls of coal ashes get set in the pail to catch any liquid's. Bottom of the pail is also full of cold coal ashes in case of spill over. Place seat on pail, do your thing. Remove seat, tie up bag, and toss into hot wood or coal stove fire. Don't open for 5 min, and all is good.

I like this better than any flush system. I think adding water to poop and pee in the dumbest thing in modern technology. Right up there with forced air heating.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 02-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
I currently use a pail.

Incinolet here is $2700.

I have to run a generator to run the incinolet, I just toss the content of the pail into my coal stove for incineration.

Grocery bag with four hand fulls of coal ashes get set in the pail to catch any liquid's. Bottom of the pail is also full of cold coal ashes in case of spill over. Place seat on pail, do your thing. Remove seat, tie up bag, and toss into hot wood or coal stove fire. Don't open for 5 min, and all is good.

I like this better than any flush system. I think adding water to poop and pee in the dumbest thing in modern technology. Right up there with forced air heating.

Nat
Lol. I tend to agree. My bus will be 100% electric. No wood stove (yet). My toilet will be a bucket. Trash bin liner goes in. Cat lit gets sprinkled in then you do your thing. Pee on any paper to mat it down. Sprinkle catlit on top. Close lid. When the bin is full (probably about a week), pull out liner and toss into a nearby builders skip [emoji14]
Old 02-23-2015, 02:29 PM   #48

I cannot quite figure this thread stuff out, but I think I am close, can someone tell me how you found fittings for the blue barrels, cause I am having a hard time finding plumbing to attach to them
love2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2travel View Post
I cannot quite figure this thread stuff out, but I think I am close, can someone tell me how you found fittings for the blue barrels, cause I am having a hard time finding plumbing to attach to them
They are nothing more than NPT pipe thread.

The big hole is 2 inch and the small hole is 1 inch or 3/4 inch depending on the drums.

Nat

Old 02-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #50
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2travel View Post
If memory serves, I just used standard brass and PVC plumbing pieces to connect mine.

The small plastic barrels have a large bung (2" I think) and a small 3/4" one. The 55 gallon barrels have two large bungs. Some large bungs have a 3/4" threaded hole in them already.

The 55 gallon barrels I looked at had one fine thread bung and the other was a coarse buttress thread so you can put a PVC threaded adapter in the fine thread hole and use the coarse thread bung for your 3/4" drain.

Threaded adapters are available for the coarse thread "buttress" bung holes. Just google "2 inch buttress adapter"
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:33 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Coachwork: bluebird
http://skoolieowners.com/skoolie-conversion-tutorials/14-holding-tanks/5-custom-holding-tanks-made-from-55gal-drums.htm l

I got this link from Brandon's site (skoolieowner.com) It's no longeractive but still available for some great links. I'm not sure if the pics are still available but Hubby has seen the tanks on the bus and they seem to work well.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:50 PM   #52

Thanks! I am looking at my future life in a short bus.
Picturing the inside is making my heart happy! I haven't seen the bus I'm getting yet, but looking at the design you made is making it seem close to real.
FaillaDrum is offline   Reply With Quote