Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Diamond
Chassis: Ford e350
Engine: powerstroke diesel
Rated Cap: 14
My new Diamond built e350

Hello all. Just got an 03, e350 transit bus. Its got 211,000 miles on a powerstroke diesel. New tranny and rear end. Its been regularly maintained, oil changes etc. got seats and wheelchair lift out. Runs like a champ . Im looking for interior ideas if anyone can help by posting pics of yours, that would be great. Im pretty much starting with a blank canvas. We only have one for sure thing so far, Were mounting a queen sized bed in the back, up about normal bed height. Using the underneath for extra storage. Other than that, Im open for suggestions. Also, How do I post pictures on here? thanks for any ideas everybody.

gopack444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Re: My new Diamond built e350

we demand pics......please
Old 10-18-2010, 05:32 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to post pics in here.till I figure it out, theres a few on my flickr page. Blue star/luna photography.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel

looks like you a nice unit to work with, keep em coming, Start a photo setup in the gallery section. Pics load there...like Smitty just told me, put the link in the signature of your post
Old 10-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Nice. Thanks darren. Ill figure it out. Nothing new to report as yet. Trying to wrap my noodle around the bed frame ideas I have. Or do I want a futon? Futons seem kinda cheesy, construction wise. I want something sturdy. But, that would take care of a couch as well....decisions decisions,,, It will just be my wife and I, so we dont need "that much room" but we want to be comfortable. Also, what do you guys think about towing a car with this thing? I know its got enough power, but would you use a trailer, or just a dolly? Kinda wondering because of all that tail swing. Were moving to Nor Cal in the spring and were wanting to tow her car. Again, thanks for the help. Darren, your bus is my inspiration! that thing looks cool. Jeff
Old 10-19-2010, 06:02 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

cool, I didnt figure there would be a problem towing. Hey Darren, is there any way to black out the company name on the photos? or take down the 2 with it? theyre a little uncomfortable with their name being on here. It wont let me delete someone elses post? Also,I saw your rearview camera setup. Cool idea. Ive been driving truck for a living since 96, I dont think i could train myself not to look over there for a mirror.lol. Wish I could find something a little sleeker looking. Im not a big fan of the one on the pass side at all, way up in front. Need to mount something a little closer to where im used to looking. Every time I go to look at it, Im staring out the double door. I asked my friend in L.A. what I should do for paint. He said to "murder it out" guess that means flat black everything,ha. Thanks for the input man, talk to you soon. Jeff
Old 10-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Those are cool mirrors. Ill keep my eyes open for some. Thanks for editing those photos man. Can you make it all black now? and lower it 6 inches in back and about ten in front with chromies? Speaking of that, Can these be lowered ? Bad idea? I just have a million ideas all banging into eachother all at once I aquired a prep table today from a local burger joint (zips) its 3 by 8 butcher block blonde wood. Gonna be a nice piece of counter space when Im done with it. storage underneath. Ive always wanted a "motorhome" but I want it to look cool, inside and out. By the way, arent you in China right now?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke

Heres how I made my bed. ( )

I made a bench-with a lift up lid-and the had another hinge attached to another piece of plywood. I made 4 metal squares - that you could swing out.

Since 2 would open one way and 2 the other, I have a piece if 1"sq tubing across the center 2.

The top piece of plywood folds down. We put a full sized air matress on it. Works great--sets up real fast.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Dang, might have to borrow that design. Additional close up picks in action would rock
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thats a cool bed idea. Were stickin with the queen bed idea though. not sure if it would better across the back, or longways against the drivers side back. might give 1 n a half to 2 feet in front of the wheelchair door. wish i could find my friggin tape measure! i need to draw up a platform. were going to lowes today so im sure ill come home with alot of crap to do.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

and Darren, those are hubcaps right?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:51 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I have questions. first the prep table with the butcher block top..was going to mount the legs upside down as the storage shelf on it is too low to clear that heater, air thingie on the floor. what is that thing exactly??and can it be moved, removed? the initial plan is, bed in the back, that table/counter from there to back of drivers seat, give or take, leaving passenger side totaly open,,,for the moment. was pondering putting a little couch on pass side just rear of the stairwell. mounted to the floor. can you rig a couch with seatbelts?? or at least one? since theres no passenger seat,my princess needs somewhere to sit. whats the legality of this? and what has to bw done for me to register it as an rv? and what about these "porta potties"?was thinking of using one of those i found at camping world (pretty cool one)and making a pedestal to bring it up to toilet height, in a little cubby with pocket door. do any of you use these? pain in the ass or no? thanx for helpin the newbie. lol
Old 10-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

We have a camp toilet-does it job just fine. After many years of camping (and long rides) without, theres no way we could go back.They ARE pretty low-I mounted mine on a wheel arch to gain the height. The bathroom is like you described-a little cubby with a pocket door-on the toilet you'd be facing forward. NOTE: When buliding the door, make sure the toilet will fit thru it without having to tilt it.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:02 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

ok, the bathroom is just an idea for now. well see what evolves. glad those are hubcaps, i dont want to drop millions for pretty rims. ithink with most vehicles, nomatter what it is, the wheels set the tone. i think with this thing flat/semi flat black, tinted side windows and chrome wheels will look pretty ok. not quite so "bussy". thecoolest thing is i can see pictures of yours and see pretty much what it looks like. minus the stencils,but ya never know...maybe a stripe of green bay packers logos down the side. Go Pack!lol
Old 10-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

sdwarf,, i checked out the shot of your wvo setup. interesting. i actually work for a biodiesel company here in coeurdalene id. standard biofuels. do you run straight veg oil, or biodiesel? i pretty much know nothing about the chemistry of it, im the first step up that ladder. the grunt if you will. i drive a truck around and collect the used grease from customers. rolling 55 gal drums around held closed with a trash bag n rubber bands. anyway, i get it to our little plant, they turn it into clean veg, and ship to our main plant in kent wa, where they make the biodiesel. im interested to know how it runs. same as before? do you have to carry around your fuel? i do know it degrades rubber pretty quickly.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopack444
sdwarf,, i checked out the shot of your wvo setup. interesting. i actually work for a biodiesel company here in coeurdalene id. standard biofuels. do you run straight veg oil, or biodiesel? i pretty much know nothing about the chemistry of it, im the first step up that ladder. the grunt if you will. i drive a truck around and collect the used grease from customers. rolling 55 gal drums around held closed with a trash bag n rubber bands. anyway, i get it to our little plant, they turn it into clean veg, and ship to our main plant in kent wa, where they make the biodiesel. im interested to know how it runs. same as before? do you have to carry around your fuel? i do know it degrades rubber pretty quickly.
I run straight veggie oil. I have 1 tank for that (52 gallons) and depending on weather +how long a trip I take, I've gone between 50%-100% veg in the stock (57) gallon tank. Next week I'm going on a trip to Charlotte NC (World of Outlaws finals) -i got the veg tank filled-25% diesel 75% veg mix in the stock tank--and about 70 gallons in cubies to top off with for the 1500 mile trip. Starting it up is the only concern-once its running everything is fine.

Veggie doesn't deteriate rubber lines-BioD does-and its from the methanol in the mix, not the veg. I have real good hoses on the bus--but my Jetta has 80K miles on plain ole' black rubber hose from the parts store.

The Powerstroke is probably the most forgiving engine out there for veg. The one thing you need is heat to make the slop flow-on a powerstroke, you have the filter bowl sitting right in the middle of the engine--then the fuel goes thru channels in the cylinder head--it heats up the oil plenty on its own.
I can feel a slight power loss -and mpg(over-repeated number bantered around on the internet is 10%) -but I get the bus up to 68 mph + set the cruise for 98% of my driving so it doesn't really matter-
but $3.15 gallon vs. zero on a trip where I'll be going thru 160+ gallons does.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

So, I have questions about the elecrtical in this thing. It has one battery under the hood that runs the normal automotive functions of the bus. But then theres the other one, mounted under the body on pass side. Im told this is to operate the wheelchair lift.Since I removed the lift, is it connected to anything else? Is it wired in line with the other one? Im assuming the alternator charges it as well? Im wondering how much power I can get out of it. We wont be using a ton of elec things back there. I have a mini fridge in it now that runs on house current. Not hooked up yet, too cold to do much right now. We were also planning to use a small tv and dvd player as well. Maybe a microwave. Not all at the same time. Could I get away with just wiring in a dc to ac converter? Or am I going to need work done? Thanks, Jeff
Old 01-02-2011, 08:17 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Oh, And by the way. We just got ownership of the bus. Its been sitting at my house for months now, but now its "officially" ours. Grand total,,,100$.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

$100? you suck!
I'm guessing if you turn the key, you hear a loud clunk from a relay closing? Probably a large relay (or ford starter solinoid) that disconnects the rear battery when the key is in the off position-and connects so it can charge when the van is running.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Lucky!!!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote