Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford E-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnelson71 View Post
m00py

check out roach motel a lot of good info in his post
Roach's bus is a HUGE inspiration, in fact I just went through nearly every picture he had up last night. One major difference between our coaches however is that his walls are straight while mine are curved - a huge structural detail that may give me problems later on (e.g. my windows are curved because of that and if I want to replace them - which I do - I need to figure out how I'm going to do that). I have no experience with carpentry or car work so I'm starting from scratch. Thankfully I have friends 'round these parts that have experience in these fields and are willing to help me figure things out and work on this with me.

EDIT: Actually after just looking at some of the interior I see that the curve is actually very slight and I think that windows can actually just give a little to a bend like that, depending on what they're made of I imagine. Can anyone confirm this for me that has had experience with installing windows on a curved body? My first thought was that they were calculated to fit the bend and installed that way. I hope I'm wrong about that.

m00py is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:16 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
The windows in it ARE curved-I had one out. To remove just undo the screws on the inside trim piece + pry away the sealer on the outside. The bus sides do have some flex-but I doubt its enough to just bolt flat windows in there.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Flexing windows into a flat opening is a bad idea.

Even if it doesn't break installing it, the window will shatter when yo hit a bump.

Just frame the openings out flat. Not that hard.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:23 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Flexing windows into a flat opening is a bad idea.

Even if it doesn't break installing it, the window will shatter when yo hit a bump.

Just frame the openings out flat. Not that hard.

Nat
No the windows currently are curved but it doesn't matter anymore. What I had planned isn't happening. I'm gonna leave them in as they are, the ones I want anyway.

Potentially just found a really, really great spot to park and work on this baby. New spot'll be just down the street, about 8 miles closer to home. Will know by tomorrow.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:18 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottomfeeder View Post
Trying to convert passenger numbers to square foot expectations is not a readily formula that I have found yet!
Generally you can figure 2 1/2' per window or row of seats. My 24' Aerotech has 16 1/2' of floor space behind the drivers seat and is about 7 1/2' wide which gives 124 square feet.
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

I got the spot! I'll be moving the bus there later this afternoon.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00py View Post
I got the spot! I'll be moving the bus there later this afternoon.
Great news.

Sometimes finding the spot to park is the hardest part of the conversion.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 09-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Great news.

Sometimes finding the spot to park is the hardest part of the conversion.

Nat
Hell yeah. Dude's leasing the spot to me for $80 a month. Feels good man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
Generally you can figure 2 1/2' per window or row of seats. My 24' Aerotech has 16 1/2' of floor space behind the drivers seat and is about 7 1/2' wide which gives 124 square feet.
I measured my interior today. To the frame I've 17 1/2' from behind the driver's seat, 16' from the stairs, and 7 1/2' wide. Feels good man.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Just an update for y'all: Not much has been happening due to all this rain we're getting from Joaquin. Our backyard is a pond. It's up to about 1 1/2'. This is the most persistent and brutal rain I've ever experienced in my life. Some friends of mine woke up this morning to about a foot of water covering the entire downstairs floor of their home. They had to call a rescue team to come help them. $hit's nasty here and my bus sure as hell isn't liking it very much either. Multiple leaks from several screws penetrating through the metal skin on top. There's leakage where the escape hatch and vent fan are as well. This really, really sucks. I'm more upset about the time being wasted than I am about any water damage since I've hardly started renovating.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:06 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Sorry to hear.

As long as your bus is not floating, you can recover.

Nat

Old 10-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Much better to find the leaks now than later when they will do some real damage. Those are pretty easy to fix.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:01 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

So not much irl progress with the bus but I spent the last few days learning SketchUp and I drafted my floor plan. This is a rough draft despite it's near full conception due to the measurements being taken while the bus is still stripped. I will lose a couple of inches on each side all around at MOST and that still works theoretically so the dimensions of the furniture and stuff inside are probably going to remain as pictured below. Also, my bus has a curve that I didn't put in because I don't have measurements but it's not really gonna affect much more than the shower and closet spaces. Pictures:

Here's a top view with x-ray on with everything labeled:

Also the furniture and stuff inside were taken from 3D Warehouse so they are not accurate representations of exactly what's going to be put inside, merely they are there to convey the idea of the floor plan three-dimensionally.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:56 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Can't edit the above post. Some shots with the bathroom installed (not exact, just a representation of the basic idea):

Old 10-16-2015, 04:55 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

If you're using a standard toilet there won't be space for a drain where you've placed it. A porta-potti will fit just fine. Plumbing in holding tanks and drains is the most difficult part of a bus conversion.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Yep...any standard RV potty need to drop straight down and directly into the holding tank. But a good location for a composting unit.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Nah it's not gonna be a standard toilet. That's just a placeholder showing where the toilets going to be placed and positioned. I plan on elevating it a bit by building a box basically that goes underneath between the wheel well and the toilet. Wasn't exactly sure what to do from there, whether to compost or plumb to black water tank. Will also be building a step up to the toilet over where the wheel well 45 degrees to the floor.

EDIT: Okay I see what y'all are saying about not being able to plumb it. Gonna go with a composting toilet then, and I may switch up the arrangement. Gotta figure out a way to waterproof it..
Old 10-16-2015, 08:13 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

There's not a lot of space under the cutaway buses for tanks. I had to put my gray tank back behind the gas tank and there was only one spot where I could run the drain line from the shower. Had to run the drain back to the bumper to find a spot to cross the frame rail and back to the tank. I had to plan my tanks and drains first then design the rest around them.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:04 PM   #38
Bus Geek

5 gallon pail with a good toilet seat is hard to beat.

Nat

Old 10-16-2015, 09:07 PM   #39
Almost There

[/URL][/IMG]

bath on the left bedroom on the right
fnelson71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:08 PM   #40
Almost There

[/URL][/IMG]

using a full size bed
fnelson71 is offline   Reply With Quote