Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #181
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Camper heater

Quick heater story and update...
Well we had the final home game Saturday against Iowa State. It was a 6pm game and was going to be cold so I wanted to get the heater hooked up and working. I ran propane lines and checked for leaks and everything was good!! Before testing the heater, I also ran 12v wiring and hooked up the CO / LP Monitor for safety reasons. (This was one week ago) Friday evening I went out to the bus and the heater wouldn't light. So Saturday morning my cousin and I checked out the heater.
It had an air flow limit switch code. ( 1 blink with 3 sec pause) So this turned out to be a 3HR fix all together. Turns out the crimped end of the wire on the air flow switch was broken inside the plastic housing. Also there was a noise when it ran so took it apart father and I found a piece of copper wire from the camper demo stuck in there and it broke the top plastic fan. I was able to glue it back together. I also noticed the motor was very hard to turn. So I went ahead and took it out while I was this far into it. The bushings were dry and rusted a little on the bottom side. So I cleaned all of that up and re greased and put back together. It took some adjusting of the motor to get both fans lined up and not to rub on the housing.

Long story short, the heater worked great!! My young kids and wife stayed in the bus watching the game while my 5 yr old and I went in for a little while. It was 70 degrees inside the bus all evening while it was in the 30s-40s outside.

Now that football season is wrapping up I will put the bus back in the shop for the winter to pull out all of the original bus windows... More to come on that!!!
Attached Thumbnails
20191123_125235.jpg   20191130_102535.jpg   20191130_102539.jpg  

Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:20 PM   #182
Bus Nut

More pictures... Trying different things to make pictures not flip upside down or sideways!!

Close up of carbon monoxide and propane monitor... I also plan on running a normal battery powered smoke detector in the ceiling ..

Dual bottle auto change regulator- I also added a valve for quick shutoff. Note: this regulator has a 3/8" outlet. So it comes out to a busing up to 1/2" and valve and everthing after is 1/2" black pipe. Incorporated 4 way fitting for line to go to front for fridge eventually as well as at out the bottom will be an aux line with quick attach hose to run a grill, etc.
Note: I didn't feel the regulator mounting was robust enough. So I used a scrap 2x8 and drilled holes through it and back of box. I bolt the block of wood to box. Then used screws and clamps to clamp the pipe to the wood. This made very stiff and took out flex. The wood should stay dry in here. If doing again I would have designed this into the original box like I did the regulator mount.

Pic of underneath testing for leaks with soapy water with T fitting to run line later for stove top and water heater. Note I used original copper line from the camper. I cut it shorter and flared where attaches to adapter fitting to 1/2" black pipe.
Note: I put plugs in everywhere future lines will be. *I used Harvey's pipe dope safe for gas as well as the yellow tape rated for gas at all fittings. (Except inverted flare)
* I learned to use both pipe dope and yellow tape from my dad. He worked for years for a guy that sold propane and ran everything on propane and used both... Not saying that's what you should do, just the way I learned....
Attached Thumbnails
20191201_211015.jpg   20191201_211047.jpg   20191201_211203.jpg  
Old 12-01-2019, 09:58 PM   #183
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
More pictures... Trying different things to make pictures not flip upside down or sideways!!

* I learned to use both pipe dope and yellow tape from my dad. He worked for years for a guy that sold propane and ran everything on propane and used both... Not saying that's what you should do, just the way I learned....
I always hold my phone horizontally when taking pics.....seems to work for me.

Getting ready to start running my propane lines too......thanks for posting pics, and for the tip.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:27 AM   #184
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
One easy way is to convert all your JPEG files to PNG format before uploading. Or you can remove the EXIF data from your JPEGs and that will work, too.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:30 AM   #185
Bus Nut

Thanks for the tips! I read somewhere on here to make the height taller than the width. So on the last three pics that what I did and they all came out ok. But could just be a coincidence.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:49 AM   #186
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thanks for the tips! I read somewhere on here to make the height taller than the width. So on the last three pics that what I did and they all came out ok. But could just be a coincidence.
The issue is that the EXIF data in a JPEG includes a field that indicates the orientation (portrait, landscape, and the upside-down versions of portrait and landscape). In portrait this doesn't matter because the height X width of the picture and the orientation value match properly; in landscape the height and width are flipped and the orientation field is set to landscape, so essentially the phone is indicating the landscape orientation twice, which results in over-rotation when it's displayed on this forum.

Here's a good overview of EXIF data and how to get rid of it: https://www.howtogeek.com/203592/wha...-to-remove-it/ . Easy to do in Windows, but a PITA in MacOS as usual (I have a mac so it's easier for me to convert everything to PNG which also works because PNGs don't preserve any EXIF data from the original source pic).

EXIF data also includes geolocation and other potentially personalizable stuff, so it's good to get rid of anyway.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #187
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
The issue is that the EXIF data in a JPEG includes a field that indicates the orientation (portrait, landscape, and the upside-down versions of portrait and landscape). In portrait this doesn't matter because the height X width of the picture and the orientation value match properly; in landscape the height and width are flipped and the orientation field is set to landscape, so essentially the phone is indicating the landscape orientation twice, which results in over-rotation when it's displayed on this forum.

Here's a good overview of EXIF data and how to get rid of it: https://www.howtogeek.com/203592/wha...-to-remove-it/ . Easy to do in Windows, but a PITA in MacOS as usual (I have a mac so it's easier for me to convert everything to PNG which also works because PNGs don't preserve any EXIF data from the original source pic).

EXIF data also includes geolocation and other potentially personalizable stuff, so it's good to get rid of anyway.

Thank you for the information!
Old 12-31-2019, 09:35 AM   #188
Bus Nut

Awning Rail

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and have been enjoying the holidays!

I received an 8' awning rail (and some other new toys for the bus) for Christmas. It is aluminum with pre drilled holes. Seems to be good quality. Here is a link:

AP Products 021-50802-8 Awning Rail 8'(Pack of 1) Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T36NWKC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8A2cEbQFAQNV1

I am planning on having an awning rail the length of the bus on the passenger side. I'm also thinking about putting one off of the rear of the bus ( we would use this one for tailgating mainly)

My question is how does everyone attach these? The side will be through sheet metal and the rear might be through fiberglass. I'm thinking rivets through fiber glass? (But worried they could pull out) And will self tapping sheet metal screws be enough for the side? I know awnings catch alot if wind so I want it very strong. I thought about installing steel tubing on the inside welded to frame with nut serts so I can bolt the rail on. I'm not sure if I need that much. I'm currently putting sheet metal in place of the windows so now would be the time to add structure to hold the awning rail if needed... On top of all that what about sealing it? I've thought about adding a drip rail like others have.. Thank you for your help!
Old 12-31-2019, 11:41 AM   #189
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Hope everyone had a good Christmas and have been enjoying the holidays!

I received an 8' awning rail (and some other new toys for the bus) for Christmas. It is aluminum with pre drilled holes. Seems to be good quality. Here is a link:

AP Products 021-50802-8 Awning Rail 8'(Pack of 1) Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T36NWKC..._8A2cEbQFAQNV1

I am planning on having an awning rail the length of the bus on the passenger side. I'm also thinking about putting one off of the rear of the bus ( we would use this one for tailgating mainly)

My question is how does everyone attach these? The side will be through sheet metal and the rear might be through fiberglass. I'm thinking rivets through fiber glass? (But worried they could pull out) And will self tapping sheet metal screws be enough for the side? I know awnings catch alot if wind so I want it very strong. I thought about installing steel tubing on the inside welded to frame with nut serts so I can bolt the rail on. I'm not sure if I need that much. I'm currently putting sheet metal in place of the windows so now would be the time to add structure to hold the awning rail if needed... On top of all that what about sealing it? I've thought about adding a drip rail like others have.. Thank you for your help!
I spaced 2'" pieces of rail where the rivet holes are in the 20' tarp and secured them with only 3M tape. One pulled off, but that was due to too much tension when the wind gust hit. If you secured a full 12' rail, I think that stuff will work nicely. I would always use a backer if riveting to fiberglass
Old 01-03-2020, 11:45 AM   #190
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I spaced 2'" pieces of rail where the rivet holes are in the 20' tarp and secured them with only 3M tape. One pulled off, but that was due to too much tension when the wind gust hit. If you secured a full 12' rail, I think that stuff will work nicely. I would always use a backer if riveting to fiberglass
So instead of doing a whole rail, you just cut the rail and out the rail pieces where you needed them? That would make the rail go a lot farther!

Do you have to climb up and down to put the tarp pieces in? How did you attach? Did you buy the plastic pieces? Use tubing and a rope etc to attach to the tarp?
Old 01-03-2020, 12:02 PM   #191
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post

Thanks again for this information. I downloaded a metadata remover and ran my bus pictures through them. I believe this is stripping the exif data correct? Ill post a pic to see how the orientation is and to see if the data has been removed?
Attached Thumbnails
20191231_135439.jpg  
Old 01-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #192
Bus Geek

Quote:
So instead of doing a whole rail, you just cut the rail and out the rail pieces where you needed them? That would make the rail go a lot farther!

Do you have to climb up and down to put the tarp pieces in? How did you attach? Did you buy the plastic pieces? Use tubing and a rope etc to attach to the tarp?
Yes, I put the 2" long pieces where the grommet holes in the tarp are. I drilled a hole and put a pin in the inner end of each end piece, so the tarp can't pull itself loose.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200103_161420345.jpg   IMG_20200103_161452293.jpg   IMG_20190918_185544631.jpg  
Old 01-03-2020, 07:59 PM   #193
Bus Nut

Thanks for the pictures! So you leave the plastic piece and hook in the rail? Or pull a pin and slide it out when not in use?
Old 01-03-2020, 08:21 PM   #194
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thanks for the pictures! So you leave the plastic piece and hook in the rail? Or pull a pin and slide it out when not in use?
Unhook the tarp, slide the end plastic piece out the open end, remove the others from either end, and stow.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:27 PM   #195
Bus Nut

Great thank you for answering my questions! I might go that route. I haven't decided yet. Thinking about putting a drip rail the whole way across that would overlap to keep water from coming down that side of the bus.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:31 PM   #196
Bus Geek

Quote:
Great thank you for answering my questions! I might go that route. I haven't decided yet. Thinking about putting a drip rail the whole way across that would overlap to keep water from coming down that side of the bus.
I thought of that when contemplating my awning. Decided a wet side was not going to be an issue if it's raining out and everything else around is wet.
The awning rail, if used in full length could serve as a semi "gutter"
Old 01-04-2020, 11:22 PM   #197
Bus Nut

She finally has a name!

Well over 1.5 yrs into building and using the bus we have decided on a name. Her name is DeCoDo. At the last tailgate of the year in November we had a name the bus contest and gave away a semi-fabulous prize to the winner. My wife's sister entered DeCoDo which is the first two letters of each of our 3 kids. So it is official now. I went ahead and Drew it out rough with a paint marker... Lol

On a different note- more progress made with the sheet metal skins for replacing the windows. I decided on a process for welding the skeet metal in and we ended up drilling 360 holes this evening. I talked my wife into helping mark and drill some of those holes!! I'm going to spot weld the skins in from the inside. I think I'm going to like how this looks. I wanted to do something different than one long piece of sheet metal down the sides.
Attached Thumbnails
20200104_182741.jpg   20200104_174609.jpg   20200104_174613.jpg  
Old 01-04-2020, 11:24 PM   #198
Bus Nut

Ok I give up on the pictures .. I ran those pictures through an app to strip the data and they still can in upside down...
Old 01-05-2020, 06:55 AM   #199
Bus Geek

Quote:
Ok I give up on the pictures .. I ran those pictures through an app to strip the data and they still can in upside down...
I give up too, I thought that would work. Pretty sure converting to PNG will still work, it always does for me.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #200
Bus Nut

Little by little

It's been cold so that means I've been lazy... This doesn't help my goals of camping by May!

I did get my sheet metal box welded up for HDMI and Co-Ax and electric receptacle. This box will be outside of the rear of the bus. It is how I will plug in the outside tv when tailgating so I don't have to run cords under the door.

I got 3 window sheets welded in before I needed to come in and watch my little one this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
20200117_213313.jpg   20200117_213248.jpg   20200118_135047.jpg   20200118_134954.jpg