Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2020, 08:53 AM   #241
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by besterfe View Post
love it! going to steal your exterior port design. do you have part numbers for the shower panel, water fill panel and city water inlet?

the last pic shows your excel water heater. have you used it while in that location?

Dura Faucet DF-SA170-BK RV Exterior Shower Box Kit with Lock (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NBKNM2/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_C3BLEbMZE3R6B

I also ordered a different shower hose/head configuration from Camping world that is longer. The plastic hoses aren't very pliable so I hope this new hose will work better. I'll have to find link to it...

Valterra Black Gravity Water Hatch Fill Dish Lock Keys RV Trailer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BH4G2C6/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_38BLEbFRB1232

I went with the plastic fill hatch but didn't want my pressurized fitting to be plastic. I remember my dad having problems with plastic fitting on various campers... so I saw someone else on here went with this Stainless style one:

Ambassador Marine Water Inlet, 316 Stainless Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HTWP59S/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_S-BLEb81KVWB7

My heater shown in pictures is just for mock up. It hasn't been used there. There is no rear window. I had built a box so it would stick out and allow me to mount the three items above, but decided to go a different route. I now will be tacking in sheet metal then making a mount for the water heater in that location. More to come on that!!

Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #242
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: startrans
Chassis: e450
Engine: 7.2 turbo diesel
thanks, look forward to water heater updates. the metal city water inlet was the first thing that stick out, great idea. the bus I am upgrading from had basically 6 inches of water hose sticking out, pain to hook up.
besterfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:04 AM   #243
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
Dura Faucet DF-SA170-BK RV Exterior Shower Box Kit with Lock (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NBKNM2..._C3BLEbMZE3R6B

I also ordered a different shower hose/head configuration from Camping world that is longer. The plastic hoses aren't very pliable so I hope this new hose will work better. I'll have to find link to it...

Valterra Black Gravity Water Hatch Fill Dish Lock Keys RV Trailer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BH4G2C6..._38BLEbFRB1232

I went with the plastic fill hatch but didn't want my pressurized fitting to be plastic. I remember my dad having problems with plastic fitting on various campers... so I saw someone else on here went with this Stainless style one:

Ambassador Marine Water Inlet, 316 Stainless Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HTWP59S..._S-BLEb81KVWB7

My heater shown in pictures is just for mock up. It hasn't been used there. There is no rear window. I had built a box so it would stick out and allow me to mount the three items above, but decided to go a different route. I now will be tacking in sheet metal then making a mount for the water heater in that location. More to come on that!!
Wow! I’m beginning to wonder how we are on the same page with so many of the accessories. Now that I’ve got my cabinets all in and painted, I will start doing all the hook ups to the plumbing. Great job. Keep her goin !!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #244
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Wow! I’m beginning to wonder how we are on the same page with so many of the accessories. Now that I’ve got my cabinets all in and painted, I will start doing all the hook ups to the plumbing. Great job. Keep her goin !!
Thanks!! I have decided to go with Pro Pex A expansion type PEX. I have all of my pex tubing, fittings, valves etc on site and. Ready to start running plumbing as soon I get the base kitchen cabinets in!
Old 04-14-2020, 05:41 PM   #245
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thanks!! I have decided to go with Pro Pex A expansion type PEX. I have all of my pex tubing, fittings, valves etc on site and. Ready to start running plumbing as soon I get the base kitchen cabinets in!
What do you like about the expansion as opposed the crimped ones?
Old 04-14-2020, 06:19 PM   #246
Bus Nut

Quote:
What do you like about the expansion as opposed the crimped ones?
Two reasons: because otherwise I have no experience with any of it. Lol

A friend from church is a contractor and he told me to go with the expansion type as it is much better. Easier to work with, etc and he had tools I could borrow. (Even though I ended up buying a sweet used Milwuakee 12volt fuel set off of offer up) lol

Second reason is my brother in law recently did some work on his pex plumbing and he has crimp style. He had problems getting into tight spots with his crimper... He told me get Pex A if I ever use Pex.

But I also know a lot of people that use Pex crimp style and it worked fine for them...
Old 04-14-2020, 07:15 PM   #247
Bus Nut

Quote:
Two reasons: because otherwise I have no experience with any of it. Lol

A friend from church is a contractor and he told me to go with the expansion type as it is much better. Easier to work with, etc and he had tools I could borrow. (Even though I ended up buying a sweet used Milwuakee 12volt fuel set off of offer up) lol

Second reason is my brother in law recently did some work on his pex plumbing and he has crimp style. He had problems getting into tight spots with his crimper... He told me get Pex A if I ever use Pex.

But I also know a lot of people that use Pex crimp style and it worked fine for them...
Just curious. The expansion looks better to me as well. I saw a guy on You Tube using the expansion tool and he was having a problem with not having enough time to get the fitting in. After he did several fittings, he finally figured out that the insert on the tool was not screwed in all the way. I’m an electrician by trade, retired, but plumbing has always been a sore spot for me. PEX is a lifesaver for me.ONWARD !!
Old 04-14-2020, 08:03 PM   #248
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Is this your water heater: https://www.amazon.com/Tankless-Vent...dp/B015M92QWS/ ? Is that a good price for one of these?

What are the downsides of a half-price clone like this: https://www.amazon.com/Camptemp-Heat...dp/B07QF31DK5/ ?
Old 04-14-2020, 10:06 PM   #249
Bus Nut

Quote:
Just curious. The expansion looks better to me as well. I saw a guy on You Tube using the expansion tool and he was having a problem with not having enough time to get the fitting in. After he did several fittings, he finally figured out that the insert on the tool was not screwed in all the way. I’m an electrician by trade, retired, but plumbing has always been a sore spot for me. PEX is a lifesaver for me.ONWARD !!
I'm a more of a metal worker... So electrical and plumbing and woodworking for me are sore spots!!! Lol building a bus I have to figure all of it out though... But I can't find a board stretcher when I cut a board too short! If it's metal, I can at least weld it back together!
Old 04-14-2020, 10:16 PM   #250
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Is this your water heater: https://www.amazon.com/Tankless-Vent...dp/B015M92QWS/ ? Is that a good price for one of these?

What are the downsides of a half-price clone like this: https://www.amazon.com/Camptemp-Heat...dp/B07QF31DK5/ ?
Yes I believe mine is the same Excel water heater. I ordered mine straight from www.Excelonlinestore.com I think I paid around the $230 mark for mine as well. The website shows $239 free shipping right now. I went with it because it was the only one that I could find as ventless ( even though I'm kind of venting mine) and it only requires 2psi of water pressure to start up. I heard others on the Skoolie site was having good luck with it so that's what I ordered. I wish I have used mine longer to give you better insight on it...

Ive never seen the other one you shared the link to. Not sure if the camptemp heater was around over a year ago when I ordered mine? Let me know if I can answer any more questions!

Oh and the Excel doesn't come with shower hose/head etc... I want to say it didn't come with a propane hose either?? Or maybe I just bought a longer one at the time...?
Old 04-14-2020, 10:18 PM   #251
Bus Nut

Quote:
I'm a more of a metal worker... So electrical and plumbing and woodworking for me are sore spots!!! Lol building a bus I have to figure all of it out though... But I can't find a board stretcher when I cut a board too short! If it's metal, I can at least weld it back together!
It’s the same with wood. You cut it too short, weld a longer piece with wood glue. Lol
Old 04-14-2020, 10:19 PM   #252
Bus Nut

Quote:
It’s the same with wood. You cut it too short, weld a longer piece with wood glue. Lol
Haha I need to buy more wood glue then!!!!
Old 04-15-2020, 08:26 AM   #253
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'm the opposite, done lots of carpentry and sheetrocking but nothing with metal before the bus. Now sometimes when I'm doing carpentry and I need to attach two pieces of wood, I will briefly plan to just weld them together before I come to my senses.

This is some heavy science fiction, but you could have something like a wood welder that shoots a stream of short-lived nanorobots which would stitch together the cellulose fibers and lignin of the two pieces of wood at a joint. Combine that with the trees that can be programmed to grow branches with specific shapes and you've got some interesting wooden structures.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:32 AM   #254
Bus Nut

Quote:
I'm the opposite, done lots of carpentry and sheetrocking but nothing with metal before the bus. Now sometimes when I'm doing carpentry and I need to attach two pieces of wood, I will briefly plan to just weld them together before I come to my senses.

This is some heavy science fiction, but you could have something like a wood welder that shoots a stream of short-lived nanorobots which would stitch together the cellulose fibers and lignin of the two pieces of wood at a joint. Combine that with the trees that can be programmed to grow branches with specific shapes and you've got some interesting wooden structures.
Hey they have plastic welders... Why hasn't anyone invented a wood welder? You may be on to something!!!
Old 04-16-2020, 05:58 PM   #255
Bus Nut

Quote:

Sometimes I’ll weld some little tab so I can screw wood to it.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:02 PM   #256
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
There is wood welding if you go by the wooden boat building books I read. They called it epoxy welding when there’s a epoxy “fillet” similar to a weld joining the pieces of wood together. Similar with metal they said the glued joint was stronger than the material itself. A “thixatropic” powder is added to the epoxy to give it the desired thickness.
I got carried away and started epoxy welding my 2nd bus together. My master boatbuilder friend reminded me my bus is not a boat. Too late, I’d already epoxied the entire roof on lol.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:02 PM   #257
Bus Nut

Quote:
Ha!! I just did that lastnight. After I welded the sheet metal in to replace the rear window I welded two tabs in the back corner in order to screw a 2x3 later to mount my hot water heater... I'll show pics soon after I get the board in and my hot water heater mounted...
Old 04-16-2020, 10:03 PM   #258
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari View Post
There is wood welding if you go by the wooden boat building books I read. They called it epoxy welding when there’s a epoxy “fillet” similar to a weld joining the pieces of wood together. Similar with metal they said the glued joint was stronger than the material itself. A “thixatropic” powder is added to the epoxy to give it the desired thickness.
I got carried away and started epoxy welding my 2nd bus together. My master boatbuilder friend reminded me my bus is not a boat. Too late, I’d already epoxied the entire roof on lol.
Pretty cool stuff. I've always heard a good glued joint of two pieces of wood was stronger than the actual piece of wood itself...
Old 04-17-2020, 12:09 AM   #259
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'm going to be doing something sort of in reverse with my furring strips: screwing strips of metal into them from behind and then plug-welding these strips to the ribs.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:32 AM   #260
Bus Nut

Quote:
Ha!! I just did that lastnight. After I welded the sheet metal in to replace the rear window I welded two tabs in the back corner in order to screw a 2x3 later to mount my hot water heater... I'll show pics soon after I get the board in and my hot water heater mounted...
To quote an old George Carlin routine, “why do you want to heat hot water”? Wouldn’t it be a cold water heater or a hot water cooler ?