Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2020, 08:40 AM   #261
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
To quote an old George Carlin routine, “why do you want to heat hot water”? Wouldn’t it be a cold water heater or a hot water cooler ?
Lol how about "Excel Tankless Water Heater" ????

Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:59 AM   #262
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
Lol how about "Excel Tankless Water Heater" ????
Hahahahaha. I used to have a supervisor every time he would say “ hot water heater “ he would turn and give me that “go to hell” look.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:58 PM   #263
Bus Nut

I got the rear porch light installed. I picked up a rubber grommet assortment from Amazon that had come in handy. This particular light is led and came with clear and Amber lens...

I put a couple 2x3 inside that will be the wood that the water heater screws in to.

I put some more paneling up as well... I think I'm still going to make some flashing that will go behind and above the water heater to direct the heat/fumes up into the range hood.
Attached Thumbnails
20200417_163622 (1).jpg   20200417_210750.jpg   20200417_210847.jpg   20200417_210636.jpg  
Old 04-18-2020, 07:22 AM   #264
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
I got the rear porch light installed. I picked up a rubber grommet assortment from Amazon that had come in handy. This particular light is led and came with clear and Amber lens...

I put a couple 2x3 inside that will be the wood that the water heater screws in to.

I put some more paneling up as well... I think I'm still going to make some flashing that will go behind and above the water heater to direct the heat/fumes up into the range hood.
I got that same grommet kit this week. Already used a bunch.

I hadn't thought of putting my "cold" water heater in the kitchen. I don't like where it's sitting right now but I would have to run cold all the way to the front half of the bus then hot all the way back to the shower. I wonder how much water I would waste that way to get hot.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:58 AM   #265
Bus Nut

Hahahahaha. Seriously though. I believe I will mount mine literally right by the shower. I’m not sure though, I’m not sure how much I could trust being ventless.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:31 AM   #266
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Hahahahaha. Seriously though. I believe I will mount mine literally right by the shower. I’m not sure though, I’m not sure how much I could trust being ventless.
That's where mine is for now. No plumbing yet But that's my space for a washer too. I don't like the limited room. The other side of the shower it would be above my bed.

I have all my windows. It's easy enough to open them to vent when I shower. My roof fan is right there too. I'm not too worried about the venting.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:46 PM   #267
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
I got that same grommet kit this week. Already used a bunch.

I hadn't thought of putting my "cold" water heater in the kitchen. I don't like where it's sitting right now but I would have to run cold all the way to the front half of the bus then hot all the way back to the shower. I wonder how much water I would waste that way to get hot.
My fresh water tank and City water connection will be within 5' of the heater and my outdoor shower is right in between. So I should be good.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:51 PM   #268
Bus Nut

Quote:
The cold water heater I have is advertised as "ventless" and where I'm mounting it is under the range hood which vents to outside the bus. I decided to mount it under there for extra peace of mind because I was worried about the "ventless" feature... I shouldn't have anything to worry about with that added safety...
Old 04-18-2020, 09:00 PM   #269
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Out a recirculating loop on the heater line. That will give you hot water "instantly" anywhere in the rig.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:39 PM   #270
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 97
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: 5.9L Cummins 12 valve
I have a 2004 Duramax and it’s a problem with fuel is that the fuel filter does not seal really well too it’s bracket. It loses its siphon and fuel stops going to the engine. There is a pump button on top of the bracket that forces it to re-prime and then everything’s good again. Used to happen to me about once every month or two, especially if it was parked for several days or more
Don Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:39 PM   #271
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Out a recirculating loop on the heater line. That will give you hot water "instantly" anywhere in the rig.
Jack
Thanks for the tip Jack !!
Old 04-19-2020, 07:39 AM   #272
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lobo View Post
I have a 2004 Duramax and it’s a problem with fuel is that the fuel filter does not seal really well too it’s bracket. It loses its siphon and fuel stops going to the engine. There is a pump button on top of the bracket that forces it to re-prime and then everything’s good again. Used to happen to me about once every month or two, especially if it was parked for several days or more
Sounds like an air leak for sure because it happens when sitting for days. Is this a truck or van chassis? The van chassis have a small pump in the tank but the trucks dont. But many people install aftermarket pumps on their rigs because of your problem. I installed a twin pump kit mainly due to injector issues... mine always started fine but would throw the P0087 code low fuel pressure because my injectors were returning to much fuel back to the tank when I would run it hard/ and when it was hot out.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:47 PM   #273
Bus Nut

Water system mock up

Please let me know what you think and if I'm missing anything? I have the water tank mocked up with the pump, accumulator, City water connection, etc. The small white hoses are the pump silencing kit and I will have them wrapped around as shown.

The city water connection comes in from the back of cabinet. There is a check valve there you can't see before the PEX. The T will supply the water heater, etc and rest of bus.

From the tank side is a check valve also, then winterized kit (bypass valve) then the hose goes around to the strainer then pump. Out of the pump the other white Hose will go to the accumulator. The back side of the accumulator is where the T is I mentioned above.

Im going to order another 90 degree fitting like you see on the strainer side to make the silencing hoses not be kinked.

Anyone see any issues? Large white Hose is fill hose and top clear line is vent line for the fill hatch.

The other fitting is 1.5" thread on the bottom. I will neck it down for a drain.

Other questions are is my tank supported enough? Sitting on 3/4" plywood and 2x3s front back to keep from sliding and over the top as well. It is only 13 gallon tank. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
20200419_184241 (1).jpg   20200419_184253 (1).jpg   20200419_184404 (1).jpg   20200419_184410 (1).jpg   20200419_201342.jpg  

Old 04-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #274
Bus Nut

Looks legit to me. It looks plenty supported with what you have. I see you have a lot of curved tubing as well... I do too because I wanted to keep max water pressure, as angle joints lose a small amount of pressure. Well my pump is under the stairs and the sink is about 10 feet behind it, and there’s so much water pressure I should’ve just used elbow joints instead of trying to smooth out the curves. Just something to consider.

Also my pump is still loud as ****, even with the accumulated and quiet fittings.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:45 AM   #275
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArgobus View Post
Looks legit to me. I have my pump mounted under the bus and it’s still loud as ****, even with the accumulated and quiet fittings.
I read on a review on Amazon for the silencing kit a couple of good ideas. One person put insulation on the hoses. Another person mounted the pump on a board that wasn't screwed down and sat the board on some shelf liners and it was very quiet. Gives me a few ideas to try if needed...
Old 04-20-2020, 04:40 PM   #276
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
I didn’t think about the noisy pump lol. What do stealth campers do for a pump? Maybe they have those foot pumps.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:00 PM   #277
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari View Post
I didn’t think about the noisy pump lol. What do stealth campers do for a pump? Maybe they have those foot pumps.
Ha! Good point! I don't even know if I'll notice it how it is... I'm not going to change anything for now because of noise... I want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious with my plan for water system...
Old 04-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #278
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
they make rubber bushing for the mounting holes of the pumps or you can by vibration isolation pads usually found around HVAC suppliers can go from anything from cork to rubber to spring isolaters
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:42 PM   #279
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
they make rubber bushing for the mounting holes of the pumps or you can by vibration isolation pads usually found around HVAC suppliers can go from anything from cork to rubber to spring isolaters
Thanks! I will look into those if it's too loud for us when we get it finished! As long as it's taking me, my hearing might be worse by the time we get it done!! Lol
Old 05-22-2020, 05:48 PM   #280
Bus Nut

More progress

Here's a few pictures of my finished cabinets!! We went with a weather wash pined finished with a clear satin polyurethane. I was also able to get the new countertop test fit as well as my faucet and workstation sink. I've started to clear the bottom side and will clear the other side tomorrow. I also figured out my venting for my gray and black water tanks and now have them vented. I went out the wall under the drip rail and then went up. I will install clamps and permanently install a rotating cap on top.
Attached Thumbnails
20200522_110602 (1).jpg   20200509_114257 (1).jpg   20200509_115007 (1).jpg   20200520_203839 (1).jpg