Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2021, 02:08 PM   #361
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
I was wondering what happened to you FROCHEVY? Yeah I still haven’t pressurized my tanks. Good thing, it will be below freezing here for a couple of days. No water in the plumbing. This is fairly common,Our winter is usually like January and February. Stay warm!!
I know I kind of fell off the map for awhile... As soon as it starts to warm up, I have some upgrades to do with my boat, and the bus. Planning to do more camping in the bus this year than we did last year!!

My main goals this spring is air bags on the rear of the bus as well as a transfer switch for generator and making a spot to mount it on the rear platform. That way we can have full AC and power when cruising down the highway...

Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:44 PM   #362
Bus Nut

Front Step

I finally took some time to work on the bus a little this weekend.

I welded my stainless hinges on my front step. It's made from the same stainless grating I used for my rear step. (I'm a little it of practice with my TIG welder...) I added a support cable to it to make it solid. Then I used a small spring loaded door hook to hold the step up. I think I'll add a rubber bumper of some sort to pre load the hook so the step doesn't rattle when going down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
20210416_175443.jpg   20210418_201109.jpg   20210418_201130.jpg  
Old 04-18-2021, 10:34 PM   #363
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Nice work Frochevy. It is definitely time to get back on it. I’ve had to lay of a few months myself. Spring time is here.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:46 PM   #364
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
That's one small step for man ... one giant leap for Frochevy. Cool step, that gives me an idea to try basically the same thing. I could then build storage box-steps on top of each of the original steps, along with a footrest for my passengers (right now their legs dangle in the step well).
Old 04-19-2021, 08:01 AM   #365
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Nice work Frochevy. It is definitely time to get back on it. I’ve had to lay of a few months myself. Spring time is here.
Yes Spring is here! I gotta quit fishing and keep doing some final work on the bus!!
Old 04-19-2021, 08:05 AM   #366
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
That's one small step for man ... one giant leap for Frochevy. Cool step, that gives me an idea to try basically the same thing. I could then build storage box-steps on top of each of the original steps, along with a footrest for my passengers (right now their legs dangle in the step well).
Lol heck yes my kids were helping me test it out lastnight. I like your storage box idea. The main step below the door is where my house battery is. I've wanted to try to put a front seat on a rotating pedastal that my wife can sit in up front, but I'm not sure it would allow enough room to walk in the door.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:24 AM   #367
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevy 3500 express
Engine: 6.6L Dirtymax
Rated Cap: ??
First off, thank you. This will make my conversion a lot easier seeing as they are the same bus.

Second, I was intending to keep the metal ceiling but would like to insulate. Did you happen to measure the insulation space between the roof and the bottom of the hat channel?

Third, How thick of insulation do you think i can get in the walls below the original windows? I am trying to salvage the metal as my family likes the look.

Thanks.
RoughnReadyRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:23 AM   #368
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughnReadyRanch View Post
First off, thank you. This will make my conversion a lot easier seeing as they are the same bus.

Second, I was intending to keep the metal ceiling but would like to insulate. Did you happen to measure the insulation space between the roof and the bottom of the hat channel?

Third, How thick of insulation do you think i can get in the walls below the original windows? I am trying to salvage the metal as my family likes the look.

Thanks.
Mine had the same yellow insulation in walls and ceiling. . That space between roof and where the ceiling bolts to is about an inch. I used 1" square tubing to weld in and beef up where my roof ac sits.

Same with down below. It looks like 1" tubing but is that bent "hat channel" like you mentioned. I removed my windows and put insulation in place. After I added furring strip for wall panels it brought the thickness past 1". I'll have to read back through my build to see what insulation I put in the walls to be for sure. It's been a year and I've also since then! Lol
Old 04-25-2021, 11:13 AM   #369
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks. I was hoping to get 1.5 in but I will settle for 1in if I don't have to fir anything out right now. We are not worried about ac or power as this is more of a people mover with the option to sleep if we need to. More for getting us and gear across the country to camp and be a fun ride.

Have you had anymore transmission issues. We bought ours with no reverse and had to put a rebuilt in but seems to be fine now. I knew the problem going in and felt the bus at $2000 even with a transmission was a good buy given the pandemic and a shortage on all things diesel.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:19 PM   #370
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thanks. I was hoping to get 1.5 in but I will settle for 1in if I don't have to fir anything out right now. We are not worried about ac or power as this is more of a people mover with the option to sleep if we need to. More for getting us and gear across the country to camp and be a fun ride.

Have you had anymore transmission issues. We bought ours with no reverse and had to put a rebuilt in but seems to be fine now. I knew the problem going in and felt the bus at $2000 even with a transmission was a good buy given the pandemic and a shortage on all things diesel.
Sounds like you are off to a good start. I will have to read up on your build. We haven't had any transmission issues since the rebuild. I got the 5yr 100k mile warranty on it. If yours is same as mine and you gave $2k for it, I'd say you got a steal!!
Old 04-26-2021, 12:10 AM   #371
Mini-Skoolie

2007 collins 6.6l chevy dirty max. I had to drop a rebuilt tran for about 4k but it has a 300K 5 year warranty at any approved shop nation wide. I am going to have to start a build page. I have been tossing shots up on instagram but nothing serious yet as I just established on this forum. We got rain today and now I get to figure out where the leak is in the front that is now showing on the driver fan near the swing doors. What did you do about insulation above the driver and passenger side? The box above the driver is pretty wide open to the upper flashing lights and I assume the passenger side is similar?
Old 05-01-2021, 10:45 PM   #372
Bus Nut

Quote:
2007 collins 6.6l chevy dirty max. I had to drop a rebuilt tran for about 4k but it has a 300K 5 year warranty at any approved shop nation wide. I am going to have to start a build page. I have been tossing shots up on instagram but nothing serious yet as I just established on this forum. We got rain today and now I get to figure out where the leak is in the front that is now showing on the driver fan near the swing doors. What did you do about insulation above the driver and passenger side? The box above the driver is pretty wide open to the upper flashing lights and I assume the passenger side is similar?
I had a couple leaks early on. I think it was coming in where the front passenger mirror bracket bolts on above the top of the windshield. I sealed a couple spots up there and I think I fixed it. Haven't seen any water in awhile.

Insulation up at the front top and side I haven't really figured out. Above the drivers side is where I put my electrical system. It has the yellow insulation up there. But you're right, there's the two lights on each side and mine had some insulation thrown up there from the factory. I still gotta figure out what I'm going to do with the lights up there. I figure after I get rid of those I might do some insulation. It needs it because it gets hot up there. I actually put a little fan up there when camping when it's really hot to keep my invertor charger cool.

I'm either going to fiberglass over the lights and smooth out, or replace with clear lens. I've also seen people paint black. What are you doing with from lights?
Old 05-01-2021, 10:58 PM   #373
Mini-Skoolie

I'm going to look at them tomorrow. I was debating just leaving them and building a temp. box in each side and blasting some foam in there or lining the box with rigid foam and building a door on each side for some extra storage. I need to make sure I got the leak taken care of first tomorrow before anything else happens.

I got my friend coming over tomorrow to figure out how we are going to cut into the rear bumper and make a storage drawer into the underside area between the rear tires. We are a family of 6 so extra space is huge
Old 05-01-2021, 11:05 PM   #374
Bus Nut

Quote:
I'm going to look at them tomorrow. I was debating just leaving them and building a temp. box in each side and blasting some foam in there or lining the box with rigid foam and building a door on each side for some extra storage. I need to make sure I got the leak taken care of first tomorrow before anything else happens.

I got my friend coming over tomorrow to figure out how we are going to cut into the rear bumper and make a storage drawer into the underside area between the rear tires. We are a family of 6 so extra space is huge
I like the idea of more storage up there. I might be able to do that on my passenger side.

My gray water tank is mounted right behind the rear axle. If it wasn't there, I'd probably have a generator mounted under there. I built a propane locker on driver side at rear. Might build another storage box on passenger side.

Take a look right behind your battery box on passenger side. If it's like mine you will have almost 4 ft of space to add some storage behind the battery box under the side skirt. I plan to build a box for storage there also! Should have done it when I had all the floor out! Lol
Old 05-02-2021, 10:57 AM   #375
Mini-Skoolie

I will check out the box in a few minutes. Thanks
Old 05-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #376
Bus Nut

Service Bus for First trip this year!

We are heading South about 4 hours this weekend to go to a Tractor/steam Engine show in Pawnee Oklahoma. I decided I should probably make sure the bus is ready to go. So I changed oil and filter, as well as air filter and I have a new fuel filter on the way. I checked all fluids and air pressure in tires. Hoping for a smooth ride down and back. I also mounted a tool box I've had sitting around for a few years. So far, after a rain it is still dry! This allowed me to get rid of a random rubbermaid tote that we kept inside to hold things like tent pegs, tie downs, tools, and other random camping stuff.

I also removed some rust over the driver door on the metal lip to revert water. I need to go over it with some other color of primer as well as where I spent some time removing some reflective decals around windows and side of bus. (I hat removing those decals)

I also added one gutter section to the driver side. I need to get some more rope caulk before I add the rear section.
Attached Thumbnails
20210504_120954.jpg   20210504_121014.jpg   20210504_120934.jpg   20210504_121100.jpg   20210501_164613 (1).jpg  

20210504_121038.jpg  
Old 05-17-2021, 10:19 PM   #377
Bus Nut

Mirror Bracket repurposed

I took my front mirror brackets off over a year ago. I couldn't throw them away and have been waiting to haul a load of scrap off. I was looking at the brackets Sunday afternoon and decided I thought I could make a shower head holder of one of the brackets. I just had to make one piece that the chrome shower head holder would bolt to.

I removed one of the front mirror brackets from the front fender and used it as the "receiver" for the bracket. A quick center punch on the round of the rib to keep the drill bit in place. I used self tappers to drill into the ribs to mount the receiver. After i tapped them in, I removed them and snipped the tips off so it didn't cut a hole through the bus wall.

It is adjustable and folds up for storage. The clamps and hardware on the brackets were all stainless so that's a plus! I think it will work well...
Attached Thumbnails
20210517_205757.png   20210517_205344.jpg   20210517_204609 (1).png   20210517_205316.jpg   20210517_205431.jpg  

20210517_181958 (1).jpg   20210517_205407.jpg   20210517_182428 (1).jpg  
Old 05-17-2021, 10:35 PM   #378
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Looking real good. Love the shower arm repurpose.
Cheers

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:41 PM   #379
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
That's awesome. Nice idea to repurpose one. I've been getting up the nerve to remove the crossover mirrors but they're kind of handy for maneuvering in tight spots. Honestly though they're probably handier when not in the way hanging off the front of the bus
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:01 PM   #380
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
That's awesome. Nice idea to repurpose one. I've been getting up the nerve to remove the crossover mirrors but they're kind of handy for maneuvering in tight spots. Honestly though they're probably handier when not in the way hanging off the front of the bus
I didn't like them when driving at night. They let the headlights reflect back at me. I know what you mean about manuvering in tight spots. Mine helped me learn how close I could get to objects.